Page 1 of 2
A lot of times people seem to go:
"Ya, Led Zeppeling are better off without Robert Plant, he's an asshole"

But seeing as the name of the band isn't plural and you are in fact referring to a single entity that happens to be itself referring to a group of people, I would think that you should use "is" instead of "are" in such a situation.

Ex. 2: "Franklin High School are ready to break ground on new building site."
You wouldn't say that, you would use "is" instead.

Stop referring to band names as if they are plural, faggots.

pandora.com for kick ass free radio.
FYI Bands are collective nouns and are treated as singular
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
Yeah. I agreed with that.
It seems like a lot of people don't, though.
pandora.com for kick ass free radio.
Quote by grind

But seeing as the name of the band isn't plural and you are in fact referring to a single entity that happens to be itself referring to a group of people, I would think that you should use "is" instead of "are" in such a situation.

THIS! I see this SO much and I rage so hard. Even the reporters on UG do this. It is a *RULE* in the English language that ALL proper nouns are SINGULAR! Please stop to referring to bands as plural.
It's a bunch of people though, so it's like "a bunch of people are..."
I see what you're saying though, it is right technically.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
What if a band name were to start with the word "The?" Like The Ramones? Would it still be considered singular?
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by dancesisidance
It's a bunch of people though, so it's like "a bunch of people are..."
I see what you're saying though, it is right technically.

Wrong. You are talking about the band when you say "Megadeth are in the studio." That is completely wrong and the only way to fix it if you WANT to use "are" is to say: "The members of Megadeth are in the studio," otherwise, band names are ALWAYS singular, even if it's The Beatles and such.
Quote by COBHC728
What if a band name were to start with the word "The?" Like The Ramones? Would it still be considered singular?

Yes.
Quote by COBHC728

I think not.
"The ramones are..."
But I'm not sure.

edit: k, nvm...
Quote by MaskedMurader23
Wrong. You are talking about the band when you say "Megadeth are in the studio." That is completely wrong and the only way to fix it if you WANT to use "are" is to say: "The members of Megadeth are in the studio," otherwise, band names are ALWAYS singular, even if it's The Beatles and such.

No, I'm not wrong.
I was saying, that's how people see it, and I then agreed that technically "is" is right.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by grind

ya led zeppeling rocks (seriously though they do)
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ

Michael Kelly Patriot Ltd.

Spector N20004

Michael Kelly V65 Acoustic

Vintage 1965 Fender Bassman Stack

Crate GFX1200H On a Behringer Bass Cab

Orange Fund: $48
yeah but it sounds funny, and it's our right as human being to change are language as we go along and as we have been doing for the past centuries.
what pisses ME off is when people get uppity about neologisms and slang, saying it's ruining the language. A language is an organic entity, and is defined not by rules and textbooks but by its use.

Metallica is going to go into the studio

Metallica are going to go into the studio.

IMO, the second one just sounds more natural, because by referring to "metallica" you are referring to a "they", as in a group of people.

but i don't really give a hoot about english, I guarantee you it's worse in german.
You can use either....whichever sounds right. Does it really ****ing matter?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Depends on how it's used.

"Led Zeppelin is a mediocre band"
There you would use "is" because you are referring to the band as a whole.

"Led Zeppelin are horrible songwriters"
There you would use "are" because you are referring to the members of the band.

I think that's how it is.
Quote by rafa7008
I think not.
"The ramones are..."
But I'm not sure.

No, think about it. If you say "The Eagles are coming to town," you are talking about the BAND, which is a singular noun (proper noun at that). Like I said before, the only way to make this correct is if you specifically refer to the members, otherwise it is proper to say "The Eagles is coming to town."
I know completely tools who says things like:

"The Simpsons are on!"

or

"America's Funniest Home Videos are on!"

DIE. IN. A. FIRE.
I prefer the plural way. I've never used, or seen anyone use, something like "The Beatles is awesome".
Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
Whenever I've referred to a band as 'are', it's because I'm familiar with the band members and am talking about them as opposed to the collective term I'd use if it were a band I didn't know well. As in:
'Metallica are good musicians'
'Fall Out Boy is lousy in the musical sense'

I don't think that this is a bad enough grammatical issue to rant and rave about, since there are still 'your/you're' and 'their/there/they're' problems everywhere.
Quote by MaskedMurader23
Have you even finished high school?

"The Beatles is coming to town" would just make you sound like a fucking retard.
Quote by GerGuam
"The Beatles is coming to town" would just make you sound like a fucking retard.

It would make me sound like a retard because I know what I am talking about and everyone around me hearing what I am saying is illiterate? Ok, you're right, I'll stop talking now?
Quote by grind

Ok, I know this has already been said but I cannot contain myself.

OH, THE IRONY HERE!

I totally wouldn't respond if you made a typo like "Led Zeppelinb."

But you? You made it into a VERB! A mathafookin' verb! Like "I am Zeppeling right now, call me back later."

For this reason, I worship you. You have improved language and thus are my new god.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by Le_Bunny
Whenever I've referred to a band as 'are', it's because I'm familiar with the band members and am talking about them as opposed to the collective term I'd use if it were a band I didn't know well. As in:
'Metallica are good musicians'
'Fall Out Boy is lousy in the musical sense'

I don't think that this is a bad enough grammatical issue to rant and rave about, since there are still 'your/you're' and 'their/there/they're' problems everywhere.

I think it depends on the predicate, too. Musicians=are; Sense=is
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
Quote by MaskedMurader23
It would make me sound like a retard because I know what I am talking about and everyone around me hearing what I am saying is illiterate? Ok, you're right, I'll stop talking now?

"The Beatles" is not singular because it refers to multiple singular units (Beatles) as opposed to a single unit consisting of multiple people (Metallica).
Quote by GerGuam
"The Beatles" is not singular because it refers to multiple singular units (Beatles) as opposed to a single unit consisting of multiple people (Metallica).

Really? Rofl. "The Beatles" is a band. You're saying The Beatles refers to a group of 4 people, generically, and NOT the band? Hmm, this thread is full of win. Keep going.
Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah but it sounds funny, and it's our right as human being to change are language as we go along and as we have been doing for the past centuries.
what pisses ME off is when people get uppity about neologisms and slang, saying it's ruining the language. A language is an organic entity, and is defined not by rules and textbooks but by its use.

Metallica is going to go into the studio

Metallica are going to go into the studio.

IMO, the second one just sounds more natural, because by referring to "metallica" you are referring to a "they", as in a group of people.

but i don't really give a hoot about english, I guarantee you it's worse in german.

Metallica are going to go into the studio sounds retarded. What are you thinking?

Also, I'm sick of people saying Jason Newstead. It's Jason NEWSTED god damnit.
Quote by MaskedMurader23
Really? Rofl. "The Beatles" is a band. You're saying The Beatles refers to a group of 4 people, generically, and NOT the band? Hmm, this thread is full of win. Keep going.

Now it's just down to perception, everyone else views it as plural the same way I do. Both ways could be technically correct but you're still going to make the people around you think you're an idiot for saying it. It's just that simple.
Quote by MaskedMurader23

No, I'm going to have to agree with him. I've seen many instances like "Paul, former Beatle" or "Keith Rickards, a Rolling Stone," or etc.

It's four individuals grouped together, made plural. And this thread, no disrespect to it, is not full of win.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by MaskedMurader23
Hmm, this thread is full of win. Keep going.

Really?
Just because it is grammatically correct, it doesn't mean people have to say it that way. It's been said many times that fans will say whatever feels right to them. If I want to say "BTBAM are an amazing band", I will, and you can't stop me.
Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
I agree, band names like Led Zeppelin (not Led Zeppling) should be used in a context such as: "Led Zeppelin is a great band."
However, band names that are plural, such as The Ramones, The Hives, or The Beatles, should be treated as plural. In a plural band name, it is my belief that each one of the members is a Ramone, Hive, or Beatle, and that the band names of such groups are collectively referring to all of the members.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

Formal and notional agreement

In BrE, collective nouns can take either singular (formal agreement) or plural (notional agreement) verb forms, according to whether the emphasis is, respectively, on the body as a whole or on the individual members; compare a committee was appointed ... with the committee were unable to agree ...[5][6] Compare also Elvis Costello's song, Oliver's Army is here to stay / Oliver's Army are on their way. Some of these nouns, for example staff,[7] actually combine with plural verbs most of the time.

In AmE, collective nouns are usually singular in construction: the committee was unable to agree ... AmE however may use plural pronouns in agreement with collective nouns: the team take their seats, rather than the team takes its seat(s). The rule of thumb is that a group acting as a unit is considered singular and a group of "individuals acting separately" is considered plural.[8] However, such a sentence would most likely be recast as the team members take their seats.

The difference occurs for all nouns of multitude, both general terms such as team and company and proper nouns (for example, where a place name is used to refer to a sports team). For instance,

BrE: The Clash are a well-known band; AmE: The Clash is a well known band.
BrE: Indianapolis are the champions; AmE: Indianapolis is the champion.

Proper nouns which are plural in form take a plural verb in both AmE and BrE; for example, The Beatles are a well-known band; The Colts are the champions.

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
Quote by GerGuam
^ British English doesn't count.

You just made the list

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
Quote by jmilli2
You just made the list

"I'm really funny I have an untitled list that I put users on when they say something irrational even if they were joking! HA! That'll show them!"
Page 1 of 2