I play metal and I cannot for the life of me make a decision on which way to go for a new guitar. Yes I have played the Jackson but not the ESP. I currently have a Shecter and my concern is the thin neck of the ESPs, how thin are they? My budget is $1000 and not a huge fan of tremelos. I have 'narrowed' my search down to these, I'm also entertaining opinions on different guitars. Thanks

Schecter C1 Hellraiser
Schecter C1+
ESP MH-1000NT
ESP MH-401QMNT
Jackson DK2T Dinky
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
They aren't much thinner than Schecter's, but they're thicker than Jackson's. I'd personally go with one of the MH models you have listed. But you might wanna see if you can find the MH-400, as those were made in Korea. The 401 series is made in Indonesia, so quality control might not be the best (this is just hearsay, not personal experience). Either way, you still get a freakin sweet guitar.

I'd probably go for the MH1000, but the abalone binding is a bit of a turnoff, hence my endorsement of the 401 model.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 1, 2009,
When you play any type of metal, you cant go wrong with any of these brands, ive never played an esp or a schecter before, but ive heard their good. but i have pplayed a jackson, and they have VERY fast necks, the dk series are very good, i dont think that you'll be disopointed with any of these guitars
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
From my experience, if its metal........ then its Jackson.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Hellraiser.

Get it and don't turn back.

If you really don't like the emg's swap them out for some Semour Duncans.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I'd go the Jackson... probably the soloist. Let me check and get back to you.

EDIT: On second thought, i'd get the Dinky. I don't know what you think about Seymour Duncans, but i love 'em. I've never tried EMG's but hey, when you're on a good thing, go with it.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Feb 2, 2009,
real ESP horizon
REAL jackson soloist
prestige ibanez. only way up for you man. you seem to have enough ltds. treat yourself. i particularily love the esp horizon fr2 in aqua blue. awesome gat for the price and decent pickups and hardware
Quote by sesstreets
Hellraiser.

Get it and don't turn back.

If you really don't like the emg's swap them out for some Semour Duncans.

If he doesn't like the EMGs he should get a C-1 Classic and bask in the glory of the sexiest guitar ever (especially in the 3-tone burst)
Soloist is my choice.
And caraluzzo is right. These arent ESP's, but LTD's.
You should be able to find a real ESP horizon for 1000$ though. That would be awesome.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by metaligeologist
real ESP horizon
REAL jackson soloist
prestige ibanez. only way up for you man. you seem to have enough ltds. treat yourself. i particularily love the esp horizon fr2 in aqua blue. awesome gat for the price and decent pickups and hardware

This is true, but he doesn't want an FR. And Gotoh Tuners and an OFR are only decent hardware? Active EMGs are only decent pickups? =/

The Horizon NT II would be a better pick for this guy if he goes genuine ESP.
Quote by caraluzzo
Those are LTD's.

Maybe so, but the 400 and 1000 series are among the best they have to offer (along with the 500 and 600 -artist- series).

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 2, 2009,
In all honestly, for $1000, I would forgoe a NEW model by any of those companies, and buy a used guitar by Jackson or ESP that was made in the US/Japan as it would be a better built guitar, and possibly better playing, than the others.
Get an ESP Horizon
Personally one the best investments I've ever made and also the nicest guitar I ever played too
If my post didn't make any sense it's because it wasn't suppose to.
Yes I know my username sucks and no I don't like Nirvana
Schecter C1 Hellraiser

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Quote by kurney
Jackson DXMG

As much as i like Jackson: no
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by b35ty
If he doesn't like the EMGs he should get a C-1 Classic and bask in the glory of the sexiest guitar ever (especially in the 3-tone burst)

Lol you can say taht again *proud owner* but I don't have the 3-tone though lol and have the older version with all pearl inlays intead of alabone

Anyway, Jackson are known for fast necks. I never tried ESP except their low end and didnt like it. I think Schecter is a better buy though like construction wise and even looks but thats just my opinion though. I always thought Jacksons were overpriced :\
Quote by racman92
Trust Jim, dude. He's a hero to us all. Don't dishonor him with such petty doubts.

LOL my petty doubts :P You're right though
i prefer esp's necks to jackson for sure even in their lowend models i say esp/ltd
Keep On Keepen' On
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have one question, what is the biggest difference between ESP and LTD?
It's like the difference between Fender and Squier, Gibson and Epiphone, etc. There are really high end models from the budget minded company, but the mother company is in a world of it's own, especially when you buy from the custom shop.

The ESP Horizon NT II is probably your best bang for the buck axe right now.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Horizon%20NTII%20Standard%20Electric%20Guitar%20SeeThru%20Blue_-1_10052_10002_-49956010_cmCategorySA-10001 Should also be available in brown sunburst, but it's harder to find.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 2, 2009,
I agree, the ESP Horizon NT-II looks great, albeit a little out of my range but well worth it. Thanks again guys, appreciate it.
I really like the Schecter C1 series all together, seem fun/easy to play.
shinozoku. good point but i was just offering a wild opinion. i agree that a non floyd esp horizon with locking tuners is also a great choice.

there are great pickups besides emgs, i just think they really nail metal.
i had the same delimma for a while and it came down to me going to the local sam ash and seeing what they had used. this way I could get a high end (jackson it would up being) for the price of a not great one. I have a jackson soloist and i love it, but I played the ltd ec 1000 and the neck was awesome. just go look and play. id say jackson but thats just me.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
you can pick up an ltd 400 series for about 600bux, i just got one and happy i did. it plays as well if not better than a jacky usa soloist i used to own.
"live to play, play to live"

05' ibanez s470qxdm
06' jackson dk2 pro series
peavey VK112 50watt
behringer x-Vamp-(soon to be digiT. rp500,
peavey vk120 watt half stack,

(debating on either s or rg prestige)
Quote by prodigi
you can pick up an ltd 400 series for about 600bux, i just got one and happy i did. it plays as well if not better than a jacky usa soloist i used to own.

This thread was back from Feb last year, I'm sure the TS has bought a guitar by now.
Try get a C1 Classic
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
you really cant go wrong with your choices, play them and get whichever one stands out to you!
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb