i'm really into to progressive death metal , how is it different from death metal and how do u play that?
Quote by progmetalhead12
i'm really into to progressive death metal , how is it different from death metal and how do u play that?

If you really were into it, you'd notice certain stylistic differences between the two genres.

Quote by TV-Casualty
If you were really into it you would already know

This.
The whole point of prog music is that you don't follow any set of rules. No one can tell you how to play progressively, that would defeat the purpose.

Take Opeth and Meshuggah for example... both are great progressive bands, but they are both completely different. That's because the composers have their different ways of viewing music, and they don't let the classic death metal style get in their way.

To be honest, I can't stand straight up death metal. I gotta take it prog.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Last edited by humperdunk at Feb 1, 2009,
It's like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.
Listen to Opeth
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
J/w what do you mean by how to play it?

I'm no expert on metal, since none of my friends are into death metal, but I'd suggest listening to Cynic, Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, Atheist, and Death. Unless your idea of prog death metal is different than mine. I personally consider those bands prog or tech death. Cynic and Death especially, "Uroboric Forms", "How Could I", and "Veil of Maya" by Cynic are good, and "Crystal Mountain", "Perennial Quest", and "Lack of Comprehension" are pretty good.

I just started listening to Death, so I'm guessing they have other great songs too, I just don't have all their albums yet.
Progressive usually incorporates musical styles outwith the metal genre (such as classical, folk medieval etc) and moulds them with more traditional death metal aspects such as heavily distorted guitars, heavy riffs, modern approaches to guitar solo and death metal style vocals.

Progressive also tends to be more melodic.
Take normal Death Metal and make it as pretentious as you possibly can.

I joke.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
actually it isnt death metal but some good beginner "progessive music" to start with is between the buried and me, it will show you progressive abit, but progressive is more of an opinion than a set of its own "genre" rules, you gotta be more creative and what not.
Quote by progmetalhead12

Man, I love to do Death Metal growls
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
Sorry man. Master's Apprentice is pretty easy

Edit: By Opeth
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

TF2 Player?
Get some Anally Injected Death Sperm and you'll be tearing it up better any other deathprog guitarist ever will

*hopes someone knows that song*
UG'S THRASHOHOLIC DRUMMER
WRECK YOUR NECK WITH A PASSION FOR THRASHIN
Quote by progmetalhead12
what are some easy progressive death metal songs

Prog generally implies that it's not going to be easy. Other than the solo, "Sentiment" by Cynic is easy once you get the gay timing in the intro down. Also, "Crystal Mountain" by Death is pretty easy.
Quote by metaldud536
Anything by Necrophagist

Especially "Diminished to Be". My band mostly plays Green Day and Fall Out Boy covers, but we usually warm up with that song.
Someone summed this up well before by saying that if you knew anything about it then you'd understand it, but that's still being a little short with you, as I don't think your question was as thorough as it could be.

Anything can be progressive, so long as it variates upon it's beginnings three or more times (that's the general rule) - A good (but boring) example is ''band on the run'' by ''wings''... now, no doubt there will be 15 people trying to castrate me for mentioning hippies on a death metal thread, but hear me out... The song changes several times, almost in the same nature as a medley BUT each differentiating riff contains some some sort of a cohesive theme that ties in with the previous riff, such as picking up speed gradually between differing parts of the song at a uniform ratio... Still with me? Progressive music sucks if there's no rules involved, because there needs to be some sort of cohesion that ties each riff to each other, even if only loosely.

Still, some snob could come along and yell at me for not talking in more concrete terms, so I'll say this - Progressive music as a genre SUCKS - Every decent band does it on the odd occasion and that's about it... but anyone who sticks with it tends to be tremendously boring, so I don't see any reason why you'd need to focus on it so exclusively, as opposed to using progressive patterns as a glorified one-off.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
progressive = classic and jazz influences and song structures differing from other genres. Progressive bands also change time signatures a LOT, so you may take that into consideration.

EDIT : Decayingdave, you idiot. ever heard of Rush, Dream Theater, Opeth ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
It's like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

This.
I'm sigging this.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

Quote by Vermintide
Ideally, you don't.

*holds up shield for Negrophagist fanboys*

Muhammed Suicmez will eat your soul.
Quote by frottage
Especially "Diminished to Be". My band mostly plays Green Day and Fall Out Boy covers, but we usually warm up with that song.

For sure. I also suggest learning some Spawn of Possession - it's pretty easy stuff.
to play progressive death metal.
you need mad skills.
and a bassist with a massive willy.
FLOYD IS A BAT!
Quote by Mung bean
to play progressive death metal.
you need mad skills.
and a bassist with a massive willy.

Is he gonna play bass with it, Murderface-style?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by decayingdave

Still, some snob could come along and yell at me for not talking in more concrete terms, so I'll say this - Progressive music as a genre SUCKS - Every decent band does it on the odd occasion and that's about it... but anyone who sticks with it tends to be tremendously boring, so I don't see any reason why you'd need to focus on it so exclusively, as opposed to using progressive patterns as a glorified one-off.

Pink Floyd. Porcupine Tree. Camel. Opeth. Gojira. Meshuggah. Cynic. Atheist. King Crimson. Rush.

I could go on. Just shut up.
Quote by Oh Shize
silliness

Seriously, do yourself a favour and delete that post. Like, now
Last edited by webbtje at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
Seriously, do yourself a favour and delete that post. Like, now

I don't know how I didn't notice that as a joke...
learn to play straight classical before shred. it will make shred seem easy by comparison
Quote by frottage

I lol'd. for a second i thought you were serious.
You need a delay pedal
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Progressive just means that the music changes dramatically over its course. It features many transitions and sections that have little or no similarities with each other. There is rarely a strong central musical theme because the differing passages don't give a main theme any support or development. It also lacks a definite form, so it can change without using any established conventions.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 2, 2009,