When my guitar is perfectly tuned, is it expected for all the notes along the fretboard to be equally in tune?

For example, when i play the 15th fret on the d-string (tuned to obsessive accuracy) while going through an electric tuner the note (in this case F) is about 20cents flat, this occurs pretty much on every note past the 12th fret on every string. Im relatively new to guitar and am only looking for some reassurement that this is normal and if not what to do about it. Thanks.
Yeah it sounds like your intonations off. Now I believe that's a saddle adjustment? Or am I wrong?
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
yea it's definately the intonation... but otherwise the only other thing that i can think of is the neck could b warped, but considering it's a new guitar, that's pretty unlikely
if you're new at guitar i recommend taking it to a guitar tech (most guitar stores have them) and ask for a 'set up'
it's normal if a guitar hasn't been set up correctly, or probably at all if it's a new guitar.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
intonation is tricky to do so you might want to spend a couple of dollars and just take it to get a set up
To set intonation, you'll need a screwdriver or Allan wrench set and a yard stick. Measure the length from The middle of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret. That lenght should b the same as the measurement between the 12th fret and the bridge (front of saddles). Adjust to needed measure ment by using your tools set above to screw and unscrew the backs of the saddles. DO NOT do this if:
-It is a Floyd Rose system.
-You do not loosen the strings.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
To set intonation, you'll need a screwdriver or Allan wrench set and a yard stick. Measure the length from The middle of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret. That lenght should b the same as the measurement between the 12th fret and the bridge (front of saddles). Adjust to needed measure ment by using your tools set above to screw and unscrew the backs of the saddles. DO NOT do this if:
-It is a Floyd Rose system.
-You do not loosen the strings.

What? That's way too complicated, just do this. http://projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by hamartia
intonation is tricky to do so you might want to spend a couple of dollars and just take it to get a set up

I agree. I've done it before when I have had to but $30 is SO worth the hassle.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
thanks alot guys. I got the truss rod adjusted recently and the guy said there was nothing wrong with it so im hoping that its just the intonation because a warped neck would be horrible. Is there any way i can test where the problem lies and determine wether its intonation or a warped neck or whatever without taking it to a tech (i live quite far out of any guitar stores).
Last edited by yoshimi123 at Feb 1, 2009,