Page 1 of 2
Hey, i'm thinking about switching my DiMarzio Virtual PAF pickup set for one of these 3:

* Gibson Burstbuckers

* DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversarys

* Seymour Duncan '59s or Seth Lover '55s or Pearly Gates

Can anyone tell me some pro's and con's about the Burstbuckers and Duncans?

I'm iffy on changing my pickups actually, but I know the PAF 36th's have higher output and are somewhat of an upgrade to my current pickups
Quote by enselmis
what guitar u using, and what style do u play, what wood is the guitar made out of, what amp, is it bright or dark?

why does the brightness matter?

would I want a less bright pickup if I have a really bright guitar?
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
why does the brightness matter?

would I want a less bright pickup if I have a really bright guitar?

Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
find yourself a really good music store that might have guitars with the pickups you are interested in and use your ears.

and none of this matters if yr using a cheap crappy amp so you might wanna provide some more info like enselmis asked.
if you want a softer sounding with less attack go for a lower output pickup like pearly gates or if you want a raging distortion look around on the brand website for high output pickups
I'm running through a Fender Twin Reverb and the guitar is an Epiphone Dot w/Bigsby Tremolo.

My sound is overall psych or post-punk with some psych, blues, and electro feel to it. Its an overall tone.

And i'm pretty sure my guitar is mostly made of maple with a rosewood fretboard. I also have an AVRI Fender Jaguar
Last edited by plague o' death at Feb 2, 2009,
I say the seth lovers.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Well, you have a great amp, so a pickup change would be great for your tone. However, with a great rig like that, you shouldn't be finding too much wrong with your tone. What is wrong with it? If you prefer your jaguar, you may want some brighter, lower output pickups to give you more treble and clarity (to get a tone more *note: more* similar tone)
No no no, my Jag is my Jag, my Dot is my 335 guitar. Lol, and thats just it, I want it to be as close to being a Gibson ES-335, but I know '57 Classics aren't as great as they could or should be.

Burstbucker's would be a likely choice but i've heard people's misgivings about them

At first when i bought the guitar, I was a little apprehensive about them being Dimarzio's and then i loved them

And then they won't out of production. But at the same time, I want to keep them up to date and sort of up to par against most people's ****, but at the same time, maintain my originality and my desire for clarity.

Y'see my Jag is for everything I love about Spacemen 3, Spiritualized, My Bloody Valentine, The Smiths, Echo & the Bunnymen etc, and anything for an really eccentric sound.

My Dot's for everything I love about Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Oasis, Stone Roses, and various other bands, but also Lush, and anything with that sort of classic, PAF, Rock N' Roll feel.

I'm a little iffy on Duncans. At first they seem fine, but when everyone keeps emphasizing that they're catered for high end, high output, Jeff Beck like ****, i'm like, "sorry, not quite me". I love Jeff Beck, but i wouldn't want his tone to be mine, nor would I want Clapton's tone, hell, another reason I thought about Burstbucker's was because even Clapton's replica 33 by Gibson uses Burstbuckers, and I saw the video for the creation of it ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4764707652331081865 ), and that thing is everything I would ever want in a 335 minus the Kluson machineheads

I mean, even some guy on Harmony Central who had a vintage 335, his neck pickup short circuited, needed a quick replacement and used a Virtual PAF. Guy sounds exactly like I would if i had a vintage one, i'd never want to swap the pups, but sure enough the guy liked the VPAF's so much he decided to switch both.

So naturally, to me, the PAF 36th would be my choice, but sometimes even an upgrade isn't an entire upgrade and is too much of a change. Like FireFox and IE7, IE7 is a knock off of FireFox, which is why, I don't trust it compared to IE6 (though i prefer Firefox anyway).

Plus, i'm trying to do a coil-tap/phase shift wiring to it. I now have the Jimmy Page Wiring diagram thanks to somebody else on the forums, now I just need to make sure if my pups are worth changing, depending on how the other contenders are compared to my current set.

And I know w/Burstbucker's it can be done, but its a tricky and complex job to do to make those 2 conductors come out as 4 (something about opening it all up, dunno i'll link it later).

So ultimately, Virtual PAF vs others, is it worth changing? If so, to the DiMarzio's that would be most like it, or the Gibson's that would be most true, or Duncan's that have notoriety? Thats my dilemma.

Plus, with overdrive, 3x overdrive, crest audio fuzz face (just like John Squire & Jimi Hendrix), wah, flanger, phase shift, delay, two expression pedals for the two former pedals, loop pedal, chorus, reverb, and possibly a few other ones, i need some pickups that'll make it thru an ever growing signal chain.
Last edited by plague o' death at Feb 2, 2009,
I'd say that you should talk to Nuthinbuttrub8 for some customs (same price as duncan '59s), or failing that, '59/PG (neck/bridge).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've been really pleased with my duncans, I don't do much high-gain these days and I play through an AC 30 and think that the Duncan 59 is a great sounding pickup, a little on the brittle side, at times, but overall a great pickup. Even my JB gives me some good, smooth tones, run my JB/59 (I know, everyone's got it!) through a tubescreamer, and I get some really smooth tones. If you check out my profile, all the guitars and basses played by me have duncans, except the telecaster, which is "duncan designed." A PG/59 combo or a Seth Lover/59 or a 59/59 combo should give you some good classic tones. The Virtual PAFs are decent, but they're a little more modern sounding, IMO. If you want something with absolutely perfect vintage tone, boutique pickups are going to be the way to go, at which point: the duncan antiquities come into play, in my book.
Another thing is, I kinda don't trust or like Duncans. They're great, but at the same time, eh, i mean i remember when i was shopping around for possibly swapping my Jaguar pickups to make them hotter, they either had, vintage original, something else, or uber hot. I ended up not changing them.

Another thing is, they all seem the same almost
There are MANY more HB duncans than Jag duncans.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by plague o' death
Another thing is, I kinda don't trust or like Duncans. They're great, but at the same time, eh, i mean i remember when i was shopping around for possibly swapping my Jaguar pickups to make them hotter, they either had, vintage original, something else, or uber hot. I ended up not changing them.

Another thing is, they all seem the same almost

You're looking for a good vintage HB sound and you're upset that they all seem the same? Duncan has a HUGE variety of 50's style humbuckers with minute differances that cater to specific tones and players. The 59's can be a bit bright for some people, hence why they make others. Dimarzio does the same thing.
But I happen to like alnico 5's man.

Anyway, for my current one, i think i'm gonna stick to its current set, or the Dimarzio PAF 36th. I'm gonna test my VPAF against the Burstbucker this weekend

I'm gonna buy another Epiphone Dot in Cherry and do the same things i did to my other one, except I might use the Duncan's for it.

I'm between the '59 and the Seth Lover. I need 4 conductor's so that I can do the Jimmy Page mod to it.
Then I say get the seth lover.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Then I say get the seth lover.

the seth and the 59 both come as 2 conductor pickups, stock. There are options to get 4 conductor on both of them, but you have to custom order them. So, that make seal the deal on the dimis for you.
Forget the Gibsons, I'd say you should go boutique.

Look at either the Silverbacks (AlNiCo 5) or Vintage Originals (AlNiCo II) from RockMonkeyGuitars.com. Really great PAF pickups, you can get them custom to your specs, and you can get them period correct, as far as materials go.
Plus, there's a 10% discount for UGers.
Well for starters, I know i can buy the 4 conductor versions of the Duncans on Musiciansfriend so thats not an issue

Also, I just found a test and info on the DiMarzio's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2n4dUVf_Q&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns&feature=channel_page
(kinda biased a tad, but eh, not bad).

As for boutique's, I checked out the site, and hmmm, the silverbacks interest me, but so do these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4AJDWEG85c

http://www.sdpickups.com/humbuckers.shtml

SOB, decisions decisions. In any case, I always did plan on owning multiple 335's, Gibsons or copies, so eh, now I have a **** load of options. And everyone's trying to sell me theirs. Except Gibson, from the looks of it, they can suck big fat one
maybe you should buy pickups from me

>.>

<.<
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Omfg I Just Read Your Sig, You Deal For Allparts, Wdmusic Etc. ?

Dude!

Why Haven't I Been Posting More Often To Find You?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Yes, those models from Stephens Designs are quite amazing too.

I was looking at his videos, and man, those are pretty damn close. Nothing the other companies could get to but yeah, like if i could hear a silverback, then i'd maybe consider a little more
Quote by plague o' death
Omfg I Just Read Your Sig, You Deal For Allparts, Wdmusic Etc. ?

Dude!

Why Haven't I Been Posting More Often To Find You?

My pickups are custom made so I don't have a specific "product". Same goes with the guitars... if you want an explorer body with an esp headstock (just as an example), you order what you want and I make it... simple as that .

and yes, if you need parts, let me know which company you want the parts from and i'll give you a quote.

The only stipulations are 1) if you order from, say, WD and allparts, you have to pay double shipping (because I get nailed for it). Keep your orders all from one place. 2) paypal users incur a 4% fee (because I get nailed for that, too) and 3) if you want product, you have to PAY me first and THEN i'll order your parts. I've gotten hosed on here by ordering before getting paid... now i have 3 sh*t allparts single coils and a single ply strat PG i'm not going to use...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you can wait, I'm getting a set in the mail soon. Should be in here in a week or two.

I got time.

As for Nuthinbuttrubl8

1) Cool i understand, company and legal issues of course
2) Thats fine and dandy
3) No **** sherlock, lol, so basically its like eBay with you. I pay, you ship, and when i get it we're all ok
awesome

Quote by forsaknazrael
If you can wait, I'm getting a set in the mail soon. Should be in here in a week or two.

Anything?
I'm gonna test out my VPAF's against some Burstbuckers and other guitars. Though in all honesty, i really am leaning towards Stephens Design though i wanna make sure that i'm not missing out on the Silverbacks.

We'll see how things go
I tested out my guitar against a few others

The showdown:

Mine: 2001 Epiphone Dot w/DiMarzio Virtual PAFs & Bigsby

Contenders: (ALL GUITARS ARE STOCK)

- Epiphone Sheraton

-Gibson Custom ES-335 Satin Finish

-Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Plus

On all the songs i played the intro and verse to "This Is the One" by The Stone Roses ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfnZ7HYD_k )

All guitars were played on a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 1X12

Ep Sheraton vs. Ep Dot Modified

Dot
Capo 2nd, I tested my Dot. Neck pickup selected, volume at 6, tone 7, everything sounded normal thru the crunch setting

Sheraton:
Felt kinda sharp. Initially i'd tried it a week earlier and was surprised at how it was actually a little more powerful than the standard Epiphone pickups. But compared to my Dot, it felt too sharp or shrilly, and the mids seemed a little muddled but decent. I wouldn't mind buying one, but i'd maybe swap the pups

ES-335:
I played the Dot first. Then I played the 335. I must say, the day before I had actually played it, and it felt so weird but incredible. I'd been dying for one, but felt sorry for it, because Gibson copped out and never gave it its much deserved neck binding (its a Gibson c'mon, that ****'s supposed to be standard) but it still felt great. So playing it again, for some reason, compared to my Dot, the neck felt smaller on the 335. I noticed the headstock was smaller than the Epiphone but eh. As for the pickups, pretty damn good. Everything was smooth, and even when i veered off the settings i made as a control, it still responded well with good tones. For '57 Classics, they were damn good. Could've been a little more bassy, but damn nice compared to my VPAFs

LP 2008:
The moment i got it, something felt off. It was way too light, turns out it was chambered which was pretty cool. After fiddling with the annoying locking output jack. The knobs were way too light, at first it was cool cuz it was like, "damn, sensitive" but felt as if they'd fall off easily. Everything about the guitar felt way too easy or way too light. Down to the pickups. They felt so bland. I thought something was wrong, but they just felt like someone told me to try some incredible drink, that was just water, it was like, "what gives?".

So yeah, i left deciding my pups are fine, but for my next Epiphone guitar (possible Dot, possibly Sheraton in Black, possibly Sheraton in natural tb-repainted Cherry) i'd swap 'em for some Duncans, or possibly Stephens Design.

How're the rockmonkey's? I might get them if anything?
Last edited by plague o' death at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not yet, no. I hope it gets here soon. I'm anxious to slap them in before my next gig.

Were they bust or full of win?
Silverbacks right?

How would you compare them to, say the Dimarzio PAF, and some of the Stephens Design Pickups?

On par more or less w/Stephens Design?

And u only bought a neck pup, or both?
Page 1 of 2