I have a SG Special Faded 3-Pickup guitar and it has three pickups and i never use the middle pickup so i was thinking about changing it to 2 pickups.
i have a few questions about doing this.
would it change the tone of my guitar?
what all would i need?
How much would it cost me?
how had would it be for me to do this?
could i change the pickup selector to the 3-way toggel?
What would be the best way to do this?

here is a pic of the guitar.
Quote by scott58
Worst? I don't know. My buddies old MG 10 until we turned it into a cup holder and ash tray.
if you dont use the middle pickup, why not just continue not using it.

Maybe im just odd and dont like unnecessary work, but im not seeing the need to remove the pickup.
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
Quote by LP Addict
yeah i dont see a reason either, just buy yourself a new pickguard, and pray the routes line up with the pickguard holes, and you are looking at a 50-75 dollar rewire/setup fee.

How much work would it take for a rewire? Why not just cut the wires out from the middle pickup and ground them? Then when the pickup is in the middle position, you'll have a killswitch (unless I'm retarded and doing it wrong).

Two birds with one stone.
So anyway I hardly use my pinkie when I fingerpick, so I'm thinking about sawing it off. What do you guize think
Quote by Roast Beef
So anyway I hardly use my pinkie when I fingerpick, so I'm thinking about sawing it off. What do you guize think

I hardly use my dick.
Quote by Tempoe
I hardly use my dick.

Let me know if you don't want it!

would it change the tone of my guitar? what all would i need? How much would it cost me? how had would it be for me to do this? could i change the pickup selector to the 3-way toggel? What would be the best way to do this?

No, if you never use the middle position.
A soldering iron and some solder, for the minimalistic
Whatever it costs for the tools, if you don't have them, and a new pickguard if you want one
It wouldn't be difficult, but I would definitely recommend doing some re-wiring

But I would recommend against doing it. What's wrong with just having the middle pup there?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
All you really need to do is replace the switch to the conventional 3 way used on other SGs and LPs. The middle pickup you can just adjust so its further down into the body other wise you have to come up with a way to cover the hole.
Or just leave the hole there, like Malcolm Young
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
You have the same guitar as me!
Are you wanting to remove it because it gets in the way of picking?
When I got mine, the middle p'up always got in my way but I learned to use less of the pick and now I can pick faster for it.

Even if that's not the problem, I'd suggest either leaving it, or buying a conventional SG.
I'm not one to condone bastardizing a perfectly good guitar simply for the sake of having 'modded' it.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Some people say that 3 pickups have too much magnetic pull and shorten sustain/ throw intonation. I would buy a new pickguard and rewire the guitar. It will look better too, IMO
^Never thought of that.
I stand by my first thoughts though.
Quote by handbanana
My '61 LP/SG Custom had middle and neck pups wired together and sounded amazing - much warmer than the neck alone. That's the best mod you can do on it. You won't regret it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by wiliscool
You have the same guitar as me!
Are you wanting to remove it because it gets in the way of picking?
When I got mine, the middle p'up always got in my way but I learned to use less of the pick and now I can pick faster for it.

Even if that's not the problem, I'd suggest either leaving it, or buying a conventional SG.
I'm not one to condone bastardizing a perfectly good guitar simply for the sake of having 'modded' it.

If you'd read his first post, he says it's because he never uses it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you'd read the second post, you'd see my thoughts on his first post.
Quote by handbanana