So I'm trying to fix this feedback problem I'm having...

Ibanez RG120 -> Boss GT-10 (whammy pedal in fx loop but I dont think that matters) -> FX return on my amp (with a dummy plug in the send as per UG's suggestions)

I get WICKED feedback when I play the amp at any sort of volume, and it's only when I stop playing. So trying to mute the strings doesnt cut it either. I tried it any which way I could plug everything in and the only way I havent gotten feedback was to not use my pedal. Now I know it can be done...I just dont know if its a matter of settings or hooking everything together differently or what. Thanks in advance folks.
Elitists and Hypocrites
What settings cause the feedback? Are clean models on the GT getting feedback?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
you said unplugging the pedal fixed it.

it sounds to me like its a wiring issue with the pedal.

I had a similar issue once, only it was because of some bass ackwards wiring in a fender esquire gt. short version is my ground came loose, so perhaps, you have some faulty wiring in the pedal?
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
Quote by Kevin Saale
What settings cause the feedback? Are clean models on the GT getting feedback?

Not as bad but yeah they are. I've got the volume of the amp at about 5 when the feedback kicks in...problem is thats nowhere near loud enough to play with my drummer.
Elitists and Hypocrites
If clean models are feeding back then it's probably the pedal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Dude I had the EXACT same problem with my Valveking.
It pissed me off beyond belief and made my amp almost un-playable.
I tried everything and it didn't work.
Two days ago I bought an iSP Decimator for 150 bucks (you might be able to get it for a bit
less) and put it infront of my amp and OH MY GOD.
It was gone.. I was in pure joy.
I could turn the gain/EQ's up on my amp and everything, and band practice is
actually fun again.
So the best solution is a noise suppressor.
If you're really tight on cash go for the BOSS ns-2, it isn't as good,
but its 20-40 bucks cheaper and it'll still do the job pretty well.

EDIT: I read the other posts, don't get a noise suppressor unless its last resort.
Theres something funky going on with that pedal.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Feb 2, 2009,
Man I bought that thing brand new too...but at least its under warranty tho
Elitists and Hypocrites
Before trying the catchall and expensive noise fix of UG, a decimator. Try the wammy pedal in front of the amp. And not sure about the dummy plug in the send if you didnt have any pedals there shouldnt need anything cables or plugs in the jacks.
Quote by Tackleberry
Before trying the catchall and expensive noise fix of UG, a decimator. Try the wammy pedal in front of the amp. And not sure about the dummy plug in the send if you didnt have any pedals there shouldnt need anything cables or plugs in the jacks.

Well I have the one big Boss pedal. I tried running the guitar -> boss pedal -> input on my amp but that was just as bad feedback wise.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Try rolling back the volume knob on your guitar a bit.

Besides that, I fully recommend the ISP Decimator. Cuts all noise from my 6505+.
When you go right to the amp, have you tried it using every cable you use when running the GT-10 and Whammy? I also agree you should try just the Whammy in front first.

EDIT: A noise gate only tries to hide the issue. If you have noise to where you can not play without one, you have something wrong in the circuit, generally a bad ground somewhere.
Is it only with the 1 guitar you have S470 listed to. The RG120 is 1 of those economy guitars, not knocking it or anything. They tend to have some pretty cheap pickups in em they could just be microphonic or have to much output for their quality. I know a guy has same issue its his guitar 1 of those epi LP specials. I can play same rig settings etc no problems his guitar feedsback constantly. If he turns the guitar volume down its reasonable.

I just know the decimator or other gates/suppressor seems to be the solution to all problems. Ive never owned a gate and can crank my amp with guitars with high output pickups with out any unwanted feedback.
Try the whammy in front of the amp, not in the effects loop. I'd never run one through the effects loop anyway.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Tackleberry
Is it only with the 1 guitar you have S470 listed to. The RG120 is 1 of those economy guitars, not knocking it or anything. They tend to have some pretty cheap pickups in em they could just be microphonic or have to much output for their quality. I know a guy has same issue its his guitar 1 of those epi LP specials. I can play same rig settings etc no problems his guitar feedsback constantly. If he turns the guitar volume down its reasonable.

I just know the decimator or other gates/suppressor seems to be the solution to all problems. Ive never owned a gate and can crank my amp with guitars with high output pickups with out any unwanted feedback.

Well to be honest I dont know if I've used the S470 for it...I've been playing my RG120 in drob B because of the band I'm in right now and I didnt feel like setting up a floyd in drop b. But that could be it tho...

Also something I thought about on the way home tonight...I wanted to clarify what "feedback" I'm getting. I'm not getting like the super loud screechy feedback like you get when you point a mic at a monitor...I'm getting the feedback like you get when you try to get feedback (dont know if thats really called feedback or not). Does that make a difference?
Elitists and Hypocrites