Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a new computer for recording music. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions about what type to get. In particular what specs are necessary, ram, hard drive space, etc. As well as recommended speakers.

Also, feel free to list you favorite recording software.
If only my lawn liked emo music, then it would cut itself
Are you looking to do PC or Mac?

For Mac I like Logic alot as well as Pro Tools
PC I like Cubase and Pro Tools

As far as speakers I would suggest getting an interface and some monitors
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by NnjRik
Are you looking to do PC or Mac?

For Mac I like Logic alot as well as Pro Tools
PC I like Cubase and Pro Tools

As far as speakers I would suggest getting an interface and some monitors

Isnt Pro Tools for Mac only?
get pro tools. and run it on a pc. its much easier to use and i personally just like it better.
Cubase and Pro tools are cross platform, logic is mac only. Personally i prefer mac, how it works, i love logic, i'm used to it, and i hate PC but that is me personally.
Well, it really depends on how much you want to spend and what you're trying to accomplish. I'll just assume that you're like me and you don't have much cash and you want to do some quality home demo's. I use both mac's and PC's and you can run Protools on either. Cubase is a joke, and logic is complicated and is only useful if your doing a lot of midi crap. Protools is the industry standard and it's easy to use. I really prefer using a mac for recording, mostly because of the OS which is much more efficient than Windows and you need all the memory you can get to run multiple plug-ins. The computers themselves really aren't that different though. If digidesign ever releases pro-tools for Linux I'll use my PC because they're cheaper, but I won't do anything that I take seriously on a Windows System. If you can afford a new Mac Pro, well, you could probably afford a Protools HD system and start a pro studio too. If not I'd look for a used Power Mac G5 with at least dual 1.8 ghz processors. I'd look for one that can employ a max of 8 gig of memory or more. You need all the memory you can get but 2 gig is a good starting point, or 1 gig will get you by. I would run Pro Tools LE. If one of those little M-boxes is enough for you go with that, otherwise I'd look for a used 002. If you need to be really frugal you could get an old 001. As far as speakers go, uhhh, I use Yamaha NS-10's but they don't make them anymore because they ran out of the materials they were made of. If you could luck out and find a used set that would be ideal. NS-10's don't sound good but mixes will translate well to any system. Don't forget about mics. Shure SM57/58 is cheap and very versatile.
I use a C2D Laptop with 1,5GB of ram , with Guitar Rig , Ableton Live and Pro tools , just get a demo of any major software like Ableton , Pro Tools , Cuebase , Reason , Fruity Loops , and play with it a little , see what suits your style.
I love the simplicity and raw power of Ableton , it's one of the best pieces of technology ever developed.
Quote by doommaker
Cubase and Pro tools are cross platform, logic is mac only. Personally i prefer mac, how it works, i love logic, i'm used to it, and i hate PC but that is me personally.

+1111111111111111111
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Do you have a budget for the computer? I personally would get a macbook pro just because I prefer mac as well and now the regular macbooks no longer have firewire. Look for 2gb of ram and up and a decent sized hard drive running at 7,200 rpm. Thats not necessary but it helps with larger projects. Also I prefer to use Logic.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Thanks guys, the suggestions have helped.
If only my lawn liked emo music, then it would cut itself
i Bought a mac mini and using a M-audio box. Currenlty using garage band '09. Suprisingly good for a software that came with the mac. Getting pro tools soon.