Hi,

I currently have 2 old guitars (26 and 20 yrs old) who are still sporting their stock pickups. I'd like to change them but have no idea where to start.

1) The first guitar is a Vantage AV325 with an Ash body and push-pull tone knobs.

For this guitar I'd like to have a Blues/Rock sound.

2) The second one is an Ibanez EX360 with a basswood body and an HSS configuration.

For this guitar I'd like to have a heavy metal sound.

I'd like to spend up to 600$ in order to revamp them and have no interest in buying a new guitar since I really like these. Passive or Active doesn't matter.

To give you an idea of music I play/listen: Racer X, As I lay dying, GNR, Children of Bodom, Haste the Day, Seether, Muse, ACDC, Black Sabbath, and so on and so forth.

Cheers!
Quote by CorduroyEW
what amp are you using?

Right now I'm using a Peavey Rage 158.
you're probably better off going for a better amp to start out with. No matter what pickups you put in you'll be limited by your amp. Good amp first then good pickups. Save up and get a decent little tube amp.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^no EMGs. Ever.
go passive. Especially for the blues guitar. (maybe something like Lace 'buckers?
And I would go with Dimarzios or Seymour Duncans for the metal guitar.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--SEMVINTBLUES
maybe something like that for the blues guitar? I haven't heard much a bout those.

And for the metal guitar, I'll suggest the Duncan Invader pup, but sometimes it's a little bit /too/ high output. Unless you're really in to Avenged Sevenfold...
My personal favorite is the Screamin' Demon. It's a great humbucker, lots of top end.
I'd suggest a softer 'bucker for the neck, though... but that's my perference. Maybe a Duncan '59?
if you want some amazing pickups, order from tonefordays.com

he will custom wind you anything you want, great guy, very talented at what he does, his alnico 8 bridge pickup would definitely give you the metal you want, and his v-59s/hyrbids will give you the blues you want.
or you could order them from me ;D
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
you're probably better off going for a better amp to start out with. No matter what pickups you put in you'll be limited by your amp. Good amp first then good pickups. Save up and get a decent little tube amp.

I'm currently waiting for a Marshall MG15MSII Microstack to get delivered, my local music shop says it might take a while.

Quote by Emoishboy
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--SEMVINTBLUES
maybe something like that for the blues guitar? I haven't heard much a bout those.

For the blues guitar I was thinking something along the lines of Duncan SH-PG1 and TB-PG1b, but this is seems like a good alternative.

Since I don't have a credit card or any means of buying stuff online, I'm limited to what my local shop has/can order which is most known pick-up brands.

For the metal guitar I was thinking something along the lines of:
Bridge: Dimarzio X2N
Middle/Neck: Dimarzio Area '67

I'm not sure if this works at all for what I want, so any more input on this would be cool. The help up until now is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Please don't buy that. It's not any better than your Peavey Rage. Marshalls' solid state amps, for the most part, are awful.

They're not awful, they're just not worth the money they usually cost, 'specially that ministack. It sounds thin and nasally.

I'd suggest getting a nice little tube amp. The Epi Valve Jr. and Fender Champ 600 are kind of one trick ponies, but get you great blues/country/classic rock tone with the right pickups and guitars.

I'm with the amp side of this debate for once, but those are 20 year old guitars with 20 year old pickups, they should be fairly decent pickups.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
^They are pretty bad, not just on a tonal level, especially because A LOT of guitarists go out buy one simply because it says Marshall on it...And then there's that placebo effect the logo has on their ears...
And they're also awful for that point you mentioned; they're expensive for what they are. You can buy a lot of better amps at the same price point.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^They are pretty bad, not just on a tonal level, especially because A LOT of guitarists go out buy one simply because it says Marshall on it...And then there's that placebo effect the logo has on their ears...
And they're also awful for that point you mentioned; they're expensive for what they are. You can buy a lot of better amps at the same price point.

their clean channel is surprisingly chimy and clear, if you front it with a good OD, you can get a pretty usable sound from the amp, but as soon as you hit that channel button on the amp, the tone goes straight to hell. It's not a great clean, but what you'd expect, clean wise, for the money from a solid state amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Mm...I find it kinda stale...And again, there's better tones from amps at the same price point; That's my main argument when people wanna buy the amp: They can get better stuff for the money.

yeah, my argument is just that they're not a total wash. I'd never recommend them to someone, but the people who already have them or have their hearts set on them, they're not completely screwed like everyone makes it out to be.
Alright! I'm waiting for it to get delivered so I can try it. Truthfully, everything else is pretty expensive and right now my budget isn't that high (about 750$) for both a pup re-haul and a new amp. So yeah, could we please get back on topic? Now I know not to bring up Marshall ever again xD
Marshall's fine to bring up, just not MGs. $750 for 2 sets of pickups and an amp, aye?

In anycase, like I said, though, a 1983 and a 1989 guitar should have decent pickups. What don't you like about the pickups you currently have?
God i love any guitars from the Matsumoku factory. Vantage being my #3 of the companies that used it. Sell it to me!
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Marc6456
Alright! I'm waiting for it to get delivered so I can try it. Truthfully, everything else is pretty expensive and right now my budget isn't that high (about 750$) for both a pup re-haul and a new amp. So yeah, could we please get back on topic? Now I know not to bring up Marshall ever again xD

It's just the MGs that aren't worth it.

And you may find that with a good amp, you might not need new pickups. Pickups have a smaller effect on the tone than you think; amps are much more influential.

And 750 bucks can get you some good amps. That's a fairly health budget.