so i listen to a lot of music but i need something new to my ears please help.

i listen to-
the beatles
the who
the doors
panic at the disco
the killers
fall out boy
paramore
van halen
led zeppelin
journey
and so on

i need some good alternative indie bands can anyone help me. i wanna expand more out and listen to good sounding bands.

im mainly looking for song writing and the music.
If you're looking for good song writing inspiration then simply STOP listening to the beatles, fall out boy, panic at the disco, the killers and paramore and you'll be fine. You're sitting on a goldmine with that list, providing you filter out the horrendous contemporary shiiit.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
thank u decayingdave.

i love old style music and i love new.

just wanting to get more music in my ears.

but i am wanting to stay in alternative indie style.
Clearlake is a very eclectic band from Brighton, England. Everything from songs featuring cellos or very delayed guitars to straight ahead Stooges influeced rock. Check them out on myspace (clearlakenoise). New album in April, which I am really looking forward to.

Sigur Ros is very experimental/indie. From Iceland. Nothing they do is in English, so if you're really looking for lyrics-type inspiration...My favorite cd's are Takk and Agaetis Byrjun. They definitely have some Pink Floyd influence in them. Got to see them at Red Rocks last fall. They really do their own thing as far as their sound and song structure go.

Black Angels are heavy psychedelic.

Explosions in the Sky are more experimental and psychedelic (and instrumental). "First Breath After Coma" is an awesome song.

Engineers are also more psychedelic. They supposedly have a cd coming out this year (the same one that was supposedly coming out last year).

Doves have been around a while. Psychedelic and some Motown influence (at least on their last cd). The Last Broadcast is one of my favorite albums. They also supposedly have a cd coming out this year ( which also was supposedly coming out last year).

Matt Pond PA is more in the Death Cab style.
Elliott Smith
The Decemberists
Sufjan Stevens
Iron & Wine
Bright Eyes

Give those 5 a look. Keep listening to them no matter what you think at first too. You'll learn to love 'em.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by decayingdave
If you're looking for good song writing inspiration then simply STOP listening to the beatles, fall out boy, panic at the disco, the killers and paramore and you'll be fine. You're sitting on a goldmine with that list, providing you filter out the horrendous contemporary shiiit.

you're a moron. how did you even find this section?

anyway ts, check wilco, built to spill, elliott smith, modest mouse, the kinks, neutral milk hotel, okkervil river, radiohead, and the velvet underground.
Last edited by NGD1313 at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by decayingdave

Did i read that wrong or did you just say that if you want to hear good song writing, stop listening to The Beatles. If so, gtfo. gtfo right now.
yah bro teh beetles were the w0rst songwriterz ever ! octupus's garden wtf

anyway, you should listen to the smiths!
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
death cab for cutie
imogen heap
the smiths
the decemeberists

i know more, but that's all i can say at the moment...

Well you could try the whole wve after the Libertines.
Arctic Monkeys, Fratellis

Or you could try the 80s minneapolis stuff
Husker Du
Replacements
Lemonheads (I know that there not in the same scene but they sound like the replacements)

The Airbourne toxic event is a pretty good place to start of with for new stuff.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
mewithoutYou

it'd be the best thing you've ever done.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
for really interesting stuff you might want to try Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, Patrick Wolf, Tilly And The Wall, The Drones and Sea Wolf. All good Indie stuff with a bit of a difference. Also, if you're looking for sort of folk-indie try English bands Johnny Flynn and the Sussex Wit and Noah and the Whale. They both are sort of contemporaries of Laura Marling, so you know they're good!!!
dude you said the drones they are simply amazing my favourite rock band at the moment
She Had An Abortion That She Made Me Pay For