Ok, so Im in the process of starting my refinish of my Ibanez RG. I have it all sanded down to bare wood and in about a week I am going to be buying new parts for it... I had pretty much decided on getting some pickups from GFS because they seemed good and cheap, but due to a recent break up with my long time girlfriend I know have some extra money that was to be spent on an engagement ring to now go and blow on some new pickups...

I was thinking about something kind of obscure that most people dont really have... EMGs sound good just because I play alot of metal and heavier stuff, but you see EMGs everywhere... So I was thinking maybe Bare Knuckles? Miracle Man Calibrated Set? I dont really know... I want to keep the price right around $200 for two new humbuckers... So whatcha got?
duncans....jb/jazz if you want passive or blackouts or even dave mustaine livewires if you want active.

i say passive...cant beat he organic tone of a jb/jzz setup..plus this way you can go from clean to blues to all out metal...whereas with actives your lighter more organic tones wont come out.
I don't really think buying new pups would be the best investment right now. If i were you i would just put that money towards a better guitar.
My guitar is fine... I am redoing the whole thing... It has a nice two piece basswood body, which I like the tone of just fine... The only problem was the electronics and the hardware... However, I am putting in an original FR tremolo with locking nut, new tuners, the works... The guitar is fine... Theres no point in paying to get a new guitar when I can upgrade mine and have one thats just fine...

Yeah I dont think I could go for $350 for a set of pickups... BareKnuckles would only run me about $250 I think.. Im here in the US if that helps any... I just dont know what to go for...
Basically I need a good sounding pickup that can get great harmonics and sound amazing for metal but that also looks bad ass... I like the looks of EMGs but I like the look of rail humbuckers. I dont know if active or passive pickups would be the best thing for me to go for... People please give me some suggestions...
You are just crying out for a pair of Bare Knuckles; some of the covers on them are awesome, and because of the quality won't have a massive effect on the tone (which will, incidentally, kick fucking ass)

Right now I'd reccomend either the Cold Sweats or the Nailbombs, but that's subject to change; give us some specific tonal demands.

Edit:
BTW bloody awesome amp.
Specific Tonal Demands:

Aggressive tone
High output
Decent cleans
Outstanding harmonic presence, both natural and pinch

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment on the amp...
Okay, so I just talked to a rep from Bare Knuckles... He told me that he was unsure of the exact currency conversion, but that he could sell me a calibrated set of Nailbombs with black covers for £173.17 with shipping included in that price...

I used the XE.com currency conversion and it said that it was about $250 for the pickups and shipping... So should I go for it?
Email Tim Mills, the boss, and ask politely for advice on which BKP is right for you, and he'll get it right; he answers each email personally, fucking marvellous customer service. Big the company up a bit and everything in your email; you don't want to come off as an arse.
Quote by Rock Pig
Email Tim Mills, the boss, and ask politely for advice on which BKP is right for you, and he'll get it right; he answers each email personally, fucking marvellous customer service. Big the company up a bit and everything in your email; you don't want to come off as an arse.

Yeah, thats who I talked to!! He said that normally the pickups sell for £190 plus £11 for shipping internationally, but he said that since this was my first set and all that he would sell them to me for £173.17 and that is with shipping!! Thats like $40 something bucks off... But I asked him what his thoughts would be for pickups for me and he was saying Nailbombs as well, so... But he was amazing to deal with and with their warranty also those are the pickups I am going to go with...
Hell yeah!! If I would have known that Bare Knuckles was that cool, I would have ordered them a long time ago!
Quote by music_mike
Yeah, thats who I talked to!! He said that normally the pickups sell for £190 plus £11 for shipping internationally, but he said that since this was my first set and all that he would sell them to me for £173.17 and that is with shipping!! Thats like $40 something bucks off... But I asked him what his thoughts would be for pickups for me and he was saying Nailbombs as well, so... But he was amazing to deal with and with their warranty also those are the pickups I am going to go with...

Damn, I might have to finally drop the cash on the pickup swap I've been wanting.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs