Alright, so I was watching the Superbowl halftime show, and, having a big, HD TV, I was able to see small details, all the way to the battered word "Fender" on Bruce's tele. Anyway, I noticed about halfway through that something was weird about his tele's neck pickup. It looked like the metal cover was removed and the pole pieces were smashed down, like some sort of deformed strat pickup, but smaller and in a tele. I was wondering if anyone knows what he had done to it or what it is?

Much appreciated as always.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I noticed the same thing. I almost went crazy during the halftime show trying to figure that out, along with answering everyone's questions about what all the guitars were. My dad was like "Can you tell what kind of guitar he's playing?" I was like "Fender Telecaster, probably from the 60's or 70's. It's been pretty beat up, and that's really cool."

I'm in love with Springsteen's Tele now.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i think he just ****ed up and let it be, like the rest of his guitar.

maybe he just uses his bridge pup
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
The back of his tele looked worn as hell when he was doing the spins. It was purty.
i love that guitar, but i couldn't hear it for a second. in fact, i could barely even hear Springsteen the whole time. Perhaps if he hadn't been running around the stage like an idiot the whole time, he wouldn't be too out of breath to sing... great guitar anyways.
Quote by chicubswill
i love that guitar, but i couldn't hear it for a second. in fact, i could barely even hear Springsteen the whole time. Perhaps if he hadn't been running around the stage like an idiot the whole time, he wouldn't be too out of breath to sing... great guitar anyways.

I think it was the EQ in general
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Is it just me or was his guitar not even plugged in (I didn't see a wireless unit even)?
^He had a wireless pack on his strap. You could just barely see it when he was swinging.

And I could actually hear his Tele once he started playing it. Of course, I heard it through some pretty high-quality speakers, so that probably had something to do with it.

That was actually one of my favorite halftime shows.

His guitar has made me decide to add a butterscotch blonde Tele to my list of guitars that I really, really want to get.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Feb 2, 2009,
Well, apparently it may not be as strange a neck pickup as I thought;

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=194#anchor-2

It appears one of Gilmour's teles(yes, he's a strat player, but Gilmour plays teles too) had a similar pickup in an old late 50's telecaster. Still not sure what is different besides looks though, as every tele I've seen in-person and/or played has had the usual metal-covered neck pickup. Will see if that's just it without the cover if and when I get a tele though.

Edit; Just did a bit of reading. Turns out it's actually an old Esquire he modded with a neck pickup and a pickup toggle, so it's probably just a strat pickup. Looking at Gilmour's guitars and the fact he had a humbucker put in there for a short time, it's likely the same mod for him as well, though his likely started as a tele.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
His guitar has made me decide to add a butterscotch blonde Tele to my list of guitars that I really, really want to get.

+1
Always thought the Telecasters were more for Country but now I must rethink that opinion.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, apparently it may not be as strange a neck pickup as I thought;

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=194#anchor-2

It appears one of Gilmour's teles(yes, he's a strat player, but Gilmour plays teles too) had a similar pickup in an old late 50's telecaster. Still not sure what is different besides looks though, as every tele I've seen in-person and/or played has had the usual metal-covered neck pickup. Will see if that's just it without the cover if and when I get a tele though.

Edit; Just did a bit of reading. Turns out it's actually an old Esquire he modded with a neck pickup and a pickup toggle, so it's probably just a strat pickup. Looking at Gilmour's guitars and the fact he had a humbucker put in there for a short time, it's likely the same mod for him as well, though his likely started as a tele.

There is a Tele model that has a strat neck pickup, I think it's called the California series or something
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Gawd ,you all need to get a life rather than trying to figure out what Bruce's pickups are.
He's a good entertainer and song writer and when he's with the E Street can kick it up to a great entertainer but his guitar skills are only slightly above average.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Bruce_Springsteen_20080815.jpg

This one?

Quote by hunter73135
Gawd ,you all need to get a life rather than trying to figure out what Bruce's pickups are.
He's a good entertainer and song writer and when he's with the E Street can kick it up to a great entertainer but his guitar skills are only slightly above average.

I believe that this could be handled as spam.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Is it just me or was his guitar not even plugged in (I didn't see a wireless unit even)?

I dont think it was...he was a terrible player anyway.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by hunter73135

GAY
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom