I'm replacing all the electronics in my Ibanez, because it's well, old, and the electronics just don't last like the rest of the guitar.

its SSH configuration, and the exact model is a RG440PL, it's from the late 80's. I play it into a Mesa F-30 and I like to get a few different sounds out of it. On the clean channel I go for a Frusciante type deal but with the tone rolled off and on my neck pickup, so that needs to have a nice crisp, bright sound.

and on the dirty channel I play pretty much exclusively on the bridge bucker, and I play with a decent amount of gain, it's prettyy much impossible not to on my amp anyways. think maybe black keys + muse for this one maybe..

and i'm wanting to get an overdrive for my clean channel to get a little less disortion and more of a natural tube saturation type deal for sublime (I know he had a os2 don't tell me that), blind melon, and stuff like that, so maybe fit that into one of the other choices or i could throw that in the middle pup.

all passive please, i was thinking a lace sensor for the neck (not sure what colour), and i had no idea for the bridge.

thanks a lot in advance.

(....is this pup swap a bad idea, as in, should i buy a new guitar before i swap my pups? i love my ibanez, it plays better than any guitar i've ever held, but it has a floyd so i can't drop d or a half step, and i like to experiment with tunings. regardless i would like advice for an eventual swap. thanks.)
███████████████████████████████████
Maybe you could just look into another guitar
one without a Floyd Rose for other tunings and keep the Ibanez as is
Thats personally what Id do, but then again I dont like Floyd Roses
Quote by SilverchairFan
Maybe you could just look into another guitar
one without a Floyd Rose for other tunings and keep the Ibanez as is
Thats personally what Id do, but then again I dont like Floyd Roses

I love my guitar and am swapping all electronics regardless.
to keep this guitar playable i need to change pickups, pots, etc.
it's just a matter of what comes first.
i still want suggestions for pickups.
Last edited by tona_107 at Feb 2, 2009,
if you like the guitar buy pickups. electronics can probably stay unless theyre rusted or dust is severely caked on. you can just clean the pots and stuff most likely. and dont they have that evh drop-d thing for floyd guitars? lets you drop and undrop without jacking everything up. bridge maybe duncan JB
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
if you like the guitar buy pickups. electronics can probably stay unless theyre rusted or dust is severely caked on. you can just clean the pots and stuff most likely. and dont they have that evh drop-d thing for floyd guitars? lets you drop and undrop without jacking everything up. bridge maybe duncan JB

i need to change the pots as they are broken. regardless it only costs about 10 bucks to get new pots. I'd need to block my trem if i was gonna use the dtuna and I use my floyd so it doesn't really work for me.

Duncan JB(SH4?) is a pretty standard and overhyped in my opinion, but i could be wrong/mistaken of course... could just be the videos and that i saw. I'll check them out again maybe I'll change my mind.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Last edited by tona_107 at Feb 2, 2009,
Go DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck and middle position with a Breed neck pickup in the bridge. It's a great combo but might not be what your looking for. DiMarzio lets you keep sending them back until you like the one you get so you might as well try it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
id say a dimarzio paf pro in the bridge ( will do mid range and clean if backed off but not too hot, and an hs3 in the neck, love that bright punchy sound ( funnily enough its yngwie malmsteens choice ). strange combo i know but works nice. breed is another good neck option
Does anyone have any suggestions for what colour lace sensor would be good in the neck?
Unless you need humm elimination I'd go for a true single in the neck and middle. For a frusciante tone I'd go for a vintage strat copy, probably a 62. CorderoyEW makes them and they're supposed to be pretty darn good, I'd shoot him a PM. Depending on the output of the bucker you'll need to adjust your decision on the singles so they aren't totally overpowered, if you go with a high output bucker you'll need overwound singles. Unfortunately overwound singles aren't as bright, but that's the trade off.

I'm not too picky as far as buckers go, give me a somewhat hot PAF and I'm set.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Unless you need humm elimination I'd go for a true single in the neck and middle. For a frusciante tone I'd go for a vintage strat copy, probably a 62. CorderoyEW makes them and they're supposed to be pretty darn good, I'd shoot him a PM. Depending on the output of the bucker you'll need to adjust your decision on the singles so they aren't totally overpowered, if you go with a high output bucker you'll need overwound singles. Unfortunately overwound singles aren't as bright, but that's the trade off.

I'm not too picky as far as buckers go, give me a somewhat hot PAF and I'm set.

Alright, so say I got a fender vintage 62 for my neck, are pickups like the JB and PAF Pro, that have been mentioned, good examples of bridge buckers that won't overpower it?

Oh, and long time no see kevin ha.

Quote by mmolteratx
Go DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck and middle position with a Breed neck pickup in the bridge. It's a great combo but might not be what your looking for. DiMarzio lets you keep sending them back until you like the one you get so you might as well try it.

I can't find an example of the Breed neck pickup (which model?) in a bridge position...any links?
Quote by tona_107
Alright, so say I got a fender vintage 62 for my neck, are pickups like the JB and PAF Pro, that have been mentioned, good examples of bridge buckers that won't overpower it?

Oh, and long time no see kevin ha.

I can't find an example of the Breed neck pickup (which model?) in a bridge position...any links?

I honestly have no idea. You can compare their dc resistance, but that doesn't tell the whole tale as far as output. I'd shoot corderoyEW (I think that's how it's spelled) a PM. He makes pickups and is very knowledgeable on the subject.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I honestly have no idea. You can compare their dc resistance, but that doesn't tell the whole tale as far as output. I'd shoot corderoyEW (I think that's how it's spelled) a PM. He makes pickups and is very knowledgeable on the subject.

On his profile now, so will do. Thanks a lot bud.
From what you have said here I would recommend my smooth groove 62 in the neck simply because it is hand wound and based on the 1962 fender pickups. I also calibrate it to sound balanced on your specific guitar which is something you wont get from the 62 fender custom shop pickups.

In the middle I'd suggest a gorilla groove 1969. It's the polar opposite of the smooth groove 62 which means a nice 60's style midrange quack. This will be great for higher gain single coil tones that don't sound very good with the 62 and it's especially useful when played at the same time as your 62 neck. The 62 has big bass, 69 has big midrange, and 62 has big treble which adds up to a very round balanced tone that most people love the instant they hear it.

For your bridge pickup I'd say to stay away from higher output pickups. The reason for this is that you said you want better power tube saturation which means you need less preamp distortion. Higher output pickups mean more preamp distortion which in turn makes your power tube saturation sound muddy and harsh. Besides, your drive channel on that amp has distortion to spare even with the lowest output pickups. DiMarzion PAF Pro is a pretty good choice for you and so is Duncan's 59 however they still are not as good as a nice set of handwounds. I'd recommend one of my silverback gorilla fists for aggressive and defined tone or one of my cool heritage if you want a slightly smoother tone.
Not taking any online orders.