Hello guys,

Problem: I live in a condo with the complex manager as neightbour (its an annoying guy that fines) so can't play loud but I still want to have decent tone at 1 AM LOL

I am considering getting the Vox VT30, it sounded decent at low volumes and it has that Power Level Control in the back for better sounding at low volumes. Looking for that JCM 800 sound

Background:
Gear: Currently I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Roland Micro Cube.
I am looking for a better amp to play at home.
I tried a bunch Peavey XXX, Marshall DSL 401, Marshall MG30, Vox VT30, and some Messa dont remember.
I like the JCM 800 sound.
I am a beginner guitar player, finally able to play power chords smoothly :P and some basic solos.
Favorite Band: GNR

Results:
Peavey XXX used combo (600): nice sounding, could get close to marshall sound out of this one but it might be to loud
Marshall DSL 401 (400): decent Marshall sound at low volumes, but to much Buzz/Hum I think its defective. A bit muddy at low volumes.
Marshall MG30: Well marshall sound but muddy (I hate muddy sounds)
Vox VT30: Sounded decent not muddy at all I hate that it does not have mp3/line in.
Messa boogie: Well not good sounding at low volumes so not worth the $
ValveKing: not marshally sounding.
Line 6 Spider III: Muddy sounding its marshall sound worst than the MG, and that is saying much.

I will buy a gig amp in the future when I am able to gig and have some one to gig with

Have any of you tried the Vox at home using the Power Level control and can give opinions?

What do you guys recommend for low volumes?

I have headphones they sound muddy on power chords, I even tried 250 dlls ones and were no good.

Suggestions comments welcomed

anyone tried the Peavey vypyr valve 60 at low volumes?

Thanks
DrEvil
Last edited by DrEvil at Feb 2, 2009,
i have the VOX valvetronix half stack
and i have to say get it dude...
you won't regret it
for the money, the thing sounds amazing!
yeah, that scom intro is crap. My favorite band is GNR too....by far...and looking at the valvetronix as well. hopefully someone who plays gnr and has one can chime in.
Being an owner of an AD series amp I can definetly recommend the new VT series as I've hear that they're even better. Plus they're a fantastic price. Plus you say you want a JCM800 sound. The "UK 80s" amp model is JCM800 model.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Last edited by Sampy at Feb 2, 2009,
Being the owner of a particuarly awesome jcm 800 and having played many untill i found the one i like (and searching for any cheaper and quiter opion) i can honestly say there is nothing that sounds quite like a jcm800, and they have to be at atleast a 3 before they even start to get angry

if you want the roar of an 800 you should bite the bullet, buy one and stick a leash on it (AKA an attuenator )

just my opinion
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by DrEvil
Not bad

u should check out the paradise city video. he get some really sweet tones on the solo.
Quote by R.D
Being the owner of a particuarly awesome jcm 800 and having played many untill i found the one i like (and searching for any cheaper and quiter opion) i can honestly say there is nothing that sounds quite like a jcm800, and they have to be at atleast a 3 before they even start to get angry

if you want the roar of an 800 you should bite the bullet, buy one and stick a leash on it (AKA an attuenator )

just my opinion

You think it will sound better with an attenuator than something like this? I heard attenuators change the sound of it. with a 1x12 cab?
Quote by nonamesleftWTF
u should check out the paradise city video. he get some really sweet tones on the solo.

Funny I was watching the video when I read the post

I am most curious about the "Power Level Control" I think I will go to the guitar store tomorrow and see if I can play with the vt30.

I play my Roland Micro cube like at 1 volume LOL terrified of the idiot next door and his 200 dlls fines. I had to fight my way out of the last one LOL
wont sound the same as and 800 let loose, but imo would sound better than modeling, never been a fan of it.

the 1x12 cab would be a problem though, les you had a 100-200 watt speaker in it, i know a jcm800 says it's 50-100 watts, but the good ones are usualy running half as much again.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by nonamesleftWTF
yeah, that scom intro is crap. My favorite band is GNR too....by far...and looking at the valvetronix as well. hopefully someone who plays gnr and has one can chime in.

I play some GNR through my Valvetronix ad30vt and I must say I love the tone. If you really sit down and play with the settings it can really sing. I usually play GNR on the US Highgain amp setting for distortion, I just can't get the Marshall amp settings to sound right, or it could be that I just don't like that tone as much as the High Gain channel. I love the chorus one the amp, so cleans shouldn't be too much of a problem. Go to VOX's website to and they have a huge list of user amp settings so you would be bound to find GNR settings somewhere in there.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Feb 2, 2009,
I'm a new player and currently playing a Epi Lp Standard and own the Roland 30X Cube and a Vox AD30VT. I purchased the Roland new and picked up the Vox at local pawn shop because of the price. It was in like new condition and walking out the door with it for $120 with tax I just couldn't resist.
IMHO both are good and niether one stands head and shoulders above the other. The Vox gives a bit warmer tone on a couple settings but thought to my ear the Roland had better cleans but the differnece isn't so great to say one is absolutely better than the other. From what i heard the Vt gives you a few more presents and a bit more for metal than the AD but basicly that's about it.
Quote by R.D
wont sound the same as and 800 let loose, but imo would sound better than modeling, never been a fan of it.

I disagree, at the sound level he is talking about (which correct me if im wrong but it seems like TS wants something you could play at quite TV levels at 1am) you would have more success farting through a megaphone than attenuating a JCM800 - attenuators arent meant to get a fully cranked 50w beast down to whisper volumes and imo they dont sound great when doing this. (ive tried!)

TS could buy the ultimate attenuator which would be best for that pointless application of it, but by the time you have spent that much, the fairly decent VT30 modelling amp will have seemed like a much better option, costing a lot less! Of course the modelling isnt even close when compared to a cranked 800, but either amp at that very quiet level isnt going to be driving the speaker very hard so probably wouldnt sound dissimilar! I dare say the vt30 would sound better as the modelling is designed to sound cranked at low volumes whereas the marshall is meant to be played loud

Im much like the TS, I need to play at quiet volumes and I love GnR and want that kind of tone. I have been through countless amps in the last few years looking for this, including a jcm800, orange tiny terror and other amps that people have said sound good quiet or attenuated. But I think there is often some kind of communication breakdown. "quiet" is subjective, but if im correct on the TS's idea of quiet then his best bet is the Vox VT 30, as if his idea of quiet is the same as mine, there is no valve amp out there you can get to get that tone at that volume, even the zvex nano was too loud for me. im saving up for a vox vt30 right now as I have finally decided on that, but it has taken many years of trial and error. I have owned a lot of amps, valve and SS, and for what the TS (and me) want, i think the VT30 hits the nail on the head. Or maybe wait for the VT50 (is it out yet?) if you want a bit more power available to you
Quote by gtk4158a
ever consider head phones?

Tried 4 different ones, the gain power chords sound awefully muddy, I tried expensive headphones. I was using them with a POD xt live.
Quote by DrEvil
Tried 4 different ones, the gain power chords sound awefully muddy, I tried expensive headphones. I was using them with a POD xt live.

Ive purchased $150 studio phones before, they sounded only marginally better than my gaming headphones. LIke DrEvil said, just sounds so muddy and sterile sounding through the headphones.
Vox Valvetronix amps are, in my experience, the best practice amps on the market. I have an AD60VT at home and a DA10 in my dorm, and both cover every tone I could want, at any volume I need. For the price, an AD30VT is exactly what you want.
I purchased the Line 6 Spider Valve 212 40 watt amp recently. I got it used with the FBV shortboard for $700. Typically, this package cost over $1200 with taxes.

The nice thing about the amp is being able to adjust settings for great sounds at low volumes for home practice. It has an XLR out that can be sent to the computer for recording.

It has two 12" Celestion V30 speakers and is all tube with the spider iii effects before the tubes. The tubes are 2 - 12AX7 and 2 - 6L6GC. It is on removable castors, making moving it around easier.

The sounds simililar to Marshall IMO are found on the crunch and metal amp models. The tweaking is part of the fun to find the sound that you want to hear!? It has a built in noise gate, volume boost, and tuner!

And if nothing else, the amp can also find use as an external speaker cabinet with 2 12" Celestions V30. The effects can be bypassed to access the tube section. Also, the effects can be sent to another amp and used as a pod in a different amp. Talk about a variety of options, as well as the built in presets that can be tweaked.

I like it personally for home practice. I'm picking up a Fender Pro Reverb 1x12 Jenson 50 watts tomorrow that I will use as my main playing amp. And to think, I already have an external 212 speaker cab!?!
I've got a VT30 and I think it's a great amp for bedroom practice, only one thing - it's far too loud up full blast.. On max vol, it shakes the windows in a room that's about 20metres x 10 metres...and can be heard easily from outside... No kidding, for a mere 10" speaker, the thing roars!

IMO the VT15 should be a serious consideration in your circumstances, because it now also has a power attenuator on the back, unlike the AD15VT of the previous models, and I believe it still has all the same features, and is cheaper to boot.
Quote by yenners
I've got a VT30 and I think it's a great amp for bedroom practice, only one thing - it's far too loud up full blast.. On max vol, it shakes the windows in a room that's about 20metres x 10 metres...and can be heard easily from outside... No kidding, for a mere 10" speaker, the thing roars!

IMO the VT15 should be a serious consideration in your circumstances, because it now also has a power attenuator on the back, unlike the AD15VT of the previous models, and I believe it still has all the same features, and is cheaper to boot.

Thing is, if you turn the attenuator down it starts to sound like crap. It sounds awfully muddy and will sound no better than anything the OP already has. I purchased the VT15 hoping I could play at a reasonable volume with good tone. Just like all the others, you gotta turn it up pretty loud to get a good tone. Way too loud for an apartment.