I've been thinking about getting an Orange Rocker combo recently, however there is a couple of niggling doubts and concerns I have. Firstly, I love the amp's tone, but I'd like to have a little bit more gain. I know Jim Root uses a Rockerverb 100w, and he has about as much gain in his sound as I'd want, so could he be getting that from a change of speaker/pre-amps, a pedal, or does the Rockerverb just have more gain than the Rocker?
Also, I could really do with an effects loop, as I'm planning on getting a few modulation effects, and I understand that they can sound like crap out of the loop. Is there any way to fit one into an amp, and if so, how much would it cost?
I'd also be open to recommendations of any similar/better amps for the same sort of price as the Rocker. I am living in the UK if that's of any consequence. Thanks in advance!
Well the rockerverb does have more gain than a rocker but i dont know jim roots setup.
I find with my Marshall DSL i get alot more gain when i crank it but also you could use a OD pedal its just if you're in a band or just genrally play loudly to how much gain you get.
The truth is that Oranges are not metal amps...you can get metal out of them (sometimes rather easily) but it's not what they're designed for.

What genres are you actually playing?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Thought the Rockerverb might've had more gain. Oh well! Will probably need an OD pedal then...
I mostly play Hard Rock and Alt. Rock, stuff like Queens of the Stone Age, The Verve, Radiohead and quite a lot that falls between, and the Rocker seems to be able to handle all of it really well from what experience I've had with it. Thing is I also like to play some stuff by Tool, Porcupine Tree and NIN, which can have quite high levels of gain at times. Still, good to hear that they can be pushed.
I found a website offering an effects loop mod on the Rocker, but it's based in California and I don't really want to pay to ship an amp halfway across the world and back. I know I should be asking this in the Gear Building and Customising forum, but would anyone here know how to fit an effects loop, and where I could get schematics for one?
That's definitely a GB&C question...you'll get better answers there.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
The truth is that Oranges are not metal amps...you can get metal out of them (sometimes rather easily) but it's not what they're designed for.

What genres are you actually playing?

you've never played a rockerverb then.
from what i can remember, the rockerverb had quite a bit more gain than the rocker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, use some overdrive pedal with the drive relatively low, as a boost

or hotter pups
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by al112987
you've never played a rockerverb then.

I have...doesn't mean they're metal amps. Gain and voicing are different things, but I'm sure you know that. I mean, they can do metal, but they're voiced much better for crunch.

Don't judge me.