Page 1 of 5
I, and many other friends I've discussed this with, believe the metalcore genre is on a downfall. Don't interpret this wrong, I love metalcore, I belong to a metalcore band and listen to many different metalcore artists (and other genres).

Bands like Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu have changed their style quite significantly since their formations by taking on a more lighter and softer sound. Also sales of many metalcore artists have decreased and more bands are splitting such as I Killed The Prom Queen and Still Remains. These bands are only small examples of what I believe could lead to a downfall in metalcore.

The same thing happened with Nu Metal, Thrash Metal, 80's Heavy Metal; the music had its height and peak of popularity but in all cases 'the joke wears thin'; this could possibly happen with metalcore as less metalcore bands are forming.

One final factor of what I believe would contribute to the decline in metalcore is that a lot of the old/most successful/pioneering metal bands such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth are reforming and gaining popularity again, this could lead to them influencing upcoming bands and stealing media attention.

I don't wish for the decline to happen but I don't wish for it to stop. Metalcore has been the genre of music which has influenced my opinion, knowledge and ability for music, however I like to see change happen and it would be interesting to see how music evolves in the next few years.

What's your opinion and do you agree with me? What/how do you think the next big metal genre will be? I don't want to see any comments like 'emo fags', 'wannabe metal' or just plainly saying it's rubbish because regards of your opinion, people like this music and statistics of record and gig sales prove the success of metalcore.
how have trivium become softer? their new albums the dogs!
but i agree on some levels, death metal and BR00T4LZ music's getting in now.
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
I Killed The Prom Queen are thinking of making a new album.
I briefly spoke with Jonah at a Bleeding Through, BTBAM, As Blood Runs Black and In Trenches concert and he said they might do it.
4 of Prom Queen's members were there.
Aslong as Between the Buried and Me stay together I don't care
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Last edited by FFTLxx at Feb 2, 2009,
history repeats itself undeniably.

first the new mustang comes out and restarts the muscle car wars, with the new camaro and challenger now coming into the fray to make it like the old days.

now the music of the '90's and '00's is dying off and people are starting to want the heavy metal and thrash metal that inspired their favorite bands. i'm in a thrash band, so once the school year's up and we start recording **** and playing shows, i'm hoping we'll be one of the bands in the first wave of a newbirth of thrash in the spirit of the old days.
i disgree, i think its still growing and its gonna be exactly like 80s heavy metal, especially in australia, where i see all my friends (and girls) that love metalcore, and i thought i was quite alone in the metal world at school

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
Prom Queen might be coming back?
This is good ****!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I think metalcore is good music and I don't wish to see it decline. I don't believe it is on the decline but, I have no proof it's not either. I
really hope metalcore stays around because I enjoy playing it and listening to it.
Last edited by -tempest- at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Robbbbb
how have trivium become softer? their new albums the dogs!
but i agree on some levels, death metal and BR00T4LZ music's getting in now.

Yeah ok maybe Shogun is more heavier but The Crusade was their attempt at adapting to change and evolving away from the metalcore genre and many other bands are doing the same.

And to your comment on the more extreme metals I agree and I was going to post a similar thread on the metal forums about that.

Quote by HorsemanOfDeath

first the new mustang comes out and restarts the muscle car wars, with the new camaro and challenger now coming into the fray to make it like the old days.

now the music of the '90's and '00's is dying off and people are starting to want the heavy metal and thrash metal that inspired their favorite bands. i'm in a thrash band, so once the school year's up and we start recording **** and playing shows, i'm hoping we'll be one of the bands in the first wave of a newbirth of thrash in the spirit of the old days.

And that's what I suspected as well about thrash. My school band plays metalcore but we also have some thrash originals and people believe our thrash originals to be better; that could also be an indication to change of opinion as well.

Quote by FFTLxx
I Killed The Prom Queen are thinking of making a new album.
I briefly spoke with Jonah at a Bleeding Through, BTBAM, As Blood Runs Black and In Trenches concert and he said they might do it.
4 of Prom Queen's members were there.
Aslong as Between the Buried and Me stay together I don't care

I thought IKTPQ were gone for good and if that fact is true I'm going to masturbate over it.

Quote by -tempest-
I think metalcore is good music and I don't wish to see it decline. I don't believe it is on the decline but, I have no proof it's not either. I r
really hope metalcore stays around because I enjoy playing it and listening to it.

I see what you're saying and I probably love it as much as you do but things get boring after a while and metalcore could evolve into a genre which you could like even more!
Last edited by reverend_jake at Feb 2, 2009,
I don't really care if its as popular, I just hope metalcore keeps living, even if it isn't as known, I'll still know.
D;
Last edited by ughhhhhhhh at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by ughhhhhhhh
I don't really care if its as popular, I just hope metalcore keep living, even if it isn't as known, I'll still know.

Yeah but a lack of popularity of a certain genre obviously repulses bands from playing that genre hence adopting another style and how the bands in the future will use the music will influence our opinion.

It's also interesting to see how music evolves - my opinion anyway.
Last edited by reverend_jake at Feb 2, 2009,
i think they're changing their style as they want to try new stuff or put the feelings in to songs in a diferent way...
but bullet say they could whip up a nice thrashy metalcore album in no time...i hope they do
arent as i lay dying metalcore?
they havnt changed their style much
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by reverend_jake
I thought IKTPQ were gone for good and if that fact is true I'm going to masturbate over it.

I'm pretty sure they'll make a new album, look for it in the next 2 years once each member has finished touring / writing for their current bands.
I was surprised when he said it, we were just joking around about it to him at first.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by reverend_jake
Yeah but a lack of popularity of a certain obviously repulses bands from playing that genre hence adopting another style and how the bands in the future will use the music will influence our opinion.

It's also interesting to see how music evolves - my opinion anyway.

I get what you're saying, but the genre will still be around, and metalcore bands will still be around, maybe less of them and not many of them will get any light, but for sure metalcore bands will be around, hopefully haha.
D;
Quote by HorsemanOfDeath

Dude your hopes have been shattered. The new wave of thrash has already come around man? Earache ate those ****ers up. Where the **** have you been man? Keep at it though, just do it right and dont sound like a straight 80's throw back. You have to stay some what relevant so modernize it a bit.
Quote by padgea7x
i think they're changing their style as they want to try new stuff or put the feelings in to songs in a diferent way...
but bullet say they could whip up a nice thrashy metalcore album in no time...i hope they do
arent as i lay dying metalcore?
they havnt changed their style much

Yeah AILD are but usually bands who don't change their style usually loose popularity as the sound gets repetative after a while and that's why bands like A7X, Trivium, BFMV, Atreyu have changed their style as they don't want to get repetative as it would be boring for them and for listeners; they are also willing to try new things and experiment and that's what makes music evolve.
Quote by reverend_jake

I see what you're saying and I probably love it as much as you do but things get boring after a while and metalcore could evolve into a genre which you could like even more!

this is a good point. I hope you right sir
I'll say with Killswitch's new album coming up this year, metalcore won't die out soon.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I think metalcore is just a bit of a fad, along with nu-metal and glam metal. Most of the fans who bought 'Ascendancy' when it came out are starting to get into other music, and the bands cater to them to earn a living.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by dancesisidance
I'll say with Killswitch's new album coming up this year, metalcore won't die out soon.

That's a good point as they are one of the main metalcore artists (even though I'm not a real fan of them but that's not the point). However one band cannot save a genre and depending on how it goes they could even make the situation worse but i doubt that; neither of us can know if we're right just yet.

Quote by CTFOD
I think metalcore is just a bit of a fad, along with nu-metal and glam metal. Most of the fans who bought 'Ascendancy' when it came out are starting to get into other music, and the bands cater to them to earn a living.

And yeah that you're right with that as they saw their failure of The Crusade and brang back a similar style of Ascendancy as they recognised the success of that album. And yes that's how music evolves, bands cater our constantly changing tastes and opinions of music which they probably share.
Quote by Sami Philadelph
See you rat faced suckas during the Thrash,Glam,and Grunge comeback,bitches.

You mean the thrash revival that started in 2006 or so?
The revivals of old music such as thrash may gain popularity but revivals will never get to the height of their original term or of the mainstream metal genre such as metalcore. Yes Metallica's new album was a big success but it's not special compared to their old days and it's a one-off occurance which won't spark a new, popular movement of music.
Quote by reverend_jake
The revivals of old music such as thrash may gain popularity but revivals will never get to the height of their original term or of the mainstream metal genre such as metalcore. Yes Metallica's new album was a big success but it's not special compared to their old days and it's a one-off occurance which won't spark a new, popular movement of music.

And all the copycat thrash bands at the moment are having no success at all, no
Quote by webbtje
And all the copycat thrash bands at the moment are having no success at all, no

Exactly an example Trivium's album The Crusade. They bloody try to be like Metallica in every way possible; Matt Heafy even sings like James Hetfield!
Metalcore we listened to 2 years ago ( Swedish melo-death riffs mixed with slight hardcore and thrash influence ) is already dead.
Most of the new metalcore bands are much more chaotic and are much more botch influenced or death metal influenced.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by loxer
Metalcore we listened to 2 years ago ( Swedish melo-death riffs mixed with slight hardcore and thrash influence ) is already dead.
Most of the new metalcore bands are much more chaotic and are much more botch influenced or death metal influenced.

Yeah I've seen that the genre has gone two ways. Either more extreme such as Deathcore and Mathcore or more softer and lighter such as hard rock or plain 'heavy metal'.
It's a trend, so its popularity wanes like any other. Unlike early thrash, melodic death and hardcore genres that spawned it, it has much less to offer musically and aesthetically, like most hybrids of that sort.

Quote by reverend_jake
One final factor of what I believe would contribute to the decline in metalcore is that a lot of the old/most successful/pioneering metal bands such as Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth are reforming and gaining popularity again, this could lead to them influencing upcoming bands and stealing media attention.

these bands ever split up? first time I'm hearing of this

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
In general, metalcore fans seem to be migrating either to hardcore or metal, but the scene kids are still all about some metalcore. Go to an Underoath or TDWP show and you'll see that very clearly. I'm not saying those bands are the peak of modern metalcore, but it's still popular.
Quote by saxaxe
In general, metalcore fans seem to be migrating either to hardcore or metal, but the scene kids are still all about some metalcore. Go to an Underoath or TDWP show and you'll see that very clearly. I'm not saying those bands are the peak of modern metalcore, but it's still popular.

Yeah like i said, I love metalcore but the joke wears thin after a while. Currently my taste in music still includes metalcore but yeah I have migrated to other genres; I am currently into death metal mainly and I'm going to see Children of Bodom and Cannibal Corpse in a couple of weeks time
Quote by reverend_jake
Yeah like i said, I love metalcore but the joke wears thin after a while. Currently my taste in music still includes metalcore but yeah I have migrated to other genres; I am currently into death metal mainly and I'm going to see Children of Bodom and Cannibal Corpse in a couple of weeks time

Believe it or not, Death metal got me into metalcore hah. I started out with bands like Meshuggah, Opeth, Nile and Amon Amarth and gradually migrated to metalcore. Right now, I listen to a ton of Death Metal, Metalcore and "true" hardcore. I can't really proclaim one to be my favorite.
Well, I'm glad that your presented your argument nicely, but I'm going to say that all the bands you mentioned, and any other bands mentioned in this thread so far as examples of metalcore have always been bland and hinted at the deterioration of the genre.

As for "metalcore dying", I think most of the people who got in to metalcore are shifting towards deathcore, scene grind, death metal, etc. because they're just out to see how br00tal they can get.
Quote by technicolour
Well, I'm glad that your presented your argument nicely, but I'm going to say that all the bands you mentioned, and any other bands mentioned in this thread so far as examples of metalcore have always been bland and hinted at the deterioration of the genre.

As for "metalcore dying", I think most of the people who got in to metalcore are shifting towards deathcore, scene grind, death metal, etc. because they're just out to see how br00tal they can get.

Yeah you say they were bland but that's your opinion, they have achieved a high level of success though but as I'm saying the metalcore bands are deteriorating.

And to your second paragraph I think that's totally right - that's kinda what I've done not in a negative way though.
Metalcore went into decline after Botch broke up to be honest :P
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
I always like to say that metalcore died with the 90's, but evidently nobody listens to or believes me.
Quote by JxD
I always like to say that metalcore died with the 90's, but evidently nobody listens to or believes me.

I'd agree. We Are the Romans came out in 99 and then they broke I think, so the time frame works for me.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Quote by recklessnick
genres cant die. and metalcore is still very popular with bands like as i lay dying, darkest hour, unearth, etc

The movement dies though and those bands will soon die out, it may take a while but it's inevitable.

Quote by JustMimes
Metalcore went into decline after Botch broke up to be honest :P

Quote by JxD

Even though that was before melodic metalcore actually hit mainstream popularity. Like I said there's your opinion if you like bands but there's the facts whether you like them or not about their record sales and their level of success.
Quote by reverend_jake
The movement dies though and those bands will soon die out, it may take a while but it's inevitable.

Even though that was before melodic metalcore actually hit mainstream popularity. Like I said there's your opinion if you like bands but there's the facts whether you like them or not about their record sales and their level of success.

Uhm yeah. No care about record sales and all that. Obviously talking about the complete drop in quality of the music.

Certainly some good metalcore still around or that have been around this decade (Ramallah, Ringworm, Harm's Way..) but there's far more ****
Last edited by JustMimes at Feb 2, 2009,
I think metalcore is on the decline, but there are still plenty of good metalcore bands. Metalcore started getting more mainstream in the earlly 00's, and since then it's been getting less mainstream attention. Many people think that represents the decline of metalcore, when really it's been declining since it started getting more mainstream.

But metalcore is NOT a trend, and I'm sure there will still be plenty of metalcore bands playing several years from now.
Last edited by IcePh0enix at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by JxD

A particular brand of metalcore (probably the best brand of metalcore) died out with the 90s, no doubt. It's inarguable though that as a genre, many bands (whether they're good or bad) continued the legacy and helped it peak in popularity between '02 and '06/'07.
Page 1 of 5