Okay guys, so I'm currently learning Smells like Teen Spirit. There are several stuff in reading the tab that I don't understand despite going through all those tutorials on the web and on this site.
Because of all the stuff that I have been reading on power chords lately, I learnt that most power chords are only played with downstrokes. However, if I'm not wrong, with the chords I have I will play mostly upstrokes for these chords.
So I would like to ask a few questions to clarify some doubts.
When we have tabs that read:
F5 Bb5
E|-------------
B|-------------
G|-------------
D|-3--3-3--xx
A|-3--3-3--xx
E|-1--1-1--xx

What does 2 "-" between the chords mean? Does it mean that we do not strum for that beat?
And does 1"-" mean any thing.
Lastly, why is there no "-" between muted notes?
Thanks for answering my questions, and sorry if they do sound too amateurish, but it's kinda hard for me to learn guitar without any teacher.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
just to do with rhythm, just play the chords to the rhythm
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Just listen to the song while looking at the tab.
Unless you are 100% tone deaf, you should be able to figure out what goes where and when.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
dude when people tab they mostly dont keep a measured gap between two chords. that is they dont actually put the "-" according to beats or anything.

you just have to listen to the song and figure out the rhythm by yourself.
Fender Stratocaster,Yamaha ERG 121 and 5 other random low budget acoustics
Just listen to the song and figure out the rhythm your self.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by bb4II3r
Okay guys, so I'm currently learning Smells like Teen Spirit. There are several stuff in reading the tab that I don't understand despite going through all those tutorials on the web and on this site.
Because of all the stuff that I have been reading on power chords lately, I learnt that most power chords are only played with downstrokes. However, if I'm not wrong, with the chords I have I will play mostly upstrokes for these chords.
So I would like to ask a few questions to clarify some doubts.
When we have tabs that read:
F5 Bb5
E|-------------
B|-------------
G|-------------
D|-3--3-3--xx
A|-3--3-3--xx
E|-1--1-1--xx

What does 2 "-" between the chords mean? Does it mean that we do not strum for that beat?
And does 1"-" mean any thing.
Lastly, why is there no "-" between muted notes?
Thanks for answering my questions, and sorry if they do sound too amateurish, but it's kinda hard for me to learn guitar without any teacher.

Ehm it's just the way the tabber wrote it. In this case you could say that that the "-"'s are some sort of time structure. If you look at it, at first there's 2 dashes so let's say that's a 1/4th note then there's only 1 dash in between so that's 1/8th note, and the dead notes are 1/16th notes in this case. If you listen to the song it actually matches at least a little bit. It sort of indicates timing in this tab, but that doesn't mean it does so in very tab you're going to see, you just have to listen to the song for the timing, or you download a program called powertab and watch the powertab of Smells like teen spirit and see for yourself what the timing is.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
Quote by Winter Solstice
Ehm it's just the way the tabber wrote it. In this case you could say that that the "-"'s are some sort of time structure. If you look at it, at first there's 2 dashes so let's say that's a 1/4th note then there's only 1 dash in between so that's 1/8th note, and the dead notes are 1/16th notes in this case. If you listen to the song it actually matches at least a little bit. It sort of indicates timing in this tab, but that doesn't mean it does so in very tab you're going to see, you just have to listen to the song for the timing, or you download a program called powertab and watch the powertab of Smells like teen spirit and see for yourself what the timing is.

Thanks a lot.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
yeah, most tabs have no structure inherent in it. If it does, or appears to have a timing its probably coincidence. The best way is to just play how it sounds best to you and do what your capable of. (i know everyone says that but, as i learned with out a teacher also, its easier said than done, but you will get it)