Hi guys! First post

I started playing bass a month and a half a go (bought myself a crappy 'Bismark' starter kit; bass, bag, amp, tuner, etc. for £100), and I'm loving it! I haven't had any experience in playing music other than playing trumpet a little when I was younger and faking it on Guitar Hero I'm utterly addicted, and practice for hours every day

Anyway, when I play at a half to maximum volume (with maximum volume on my bass) the sound sounds farty, if you know what I mean. At lower volumes its fine. I don't think its the amp though (maybe sucky pickups?), because if I have my bass volume low and my amp volume high, the sound is okay. I also hooked up my ipod and put it on max volume and all the low tones were clear. But I'm not sure so I'm asking you guys.

I'm considering buying a new bass anyway, a decent one for £200ish. Do you think I should wait until I get better or should I go for it? If I get a good bass now I won't need to worry later on I suppose.

Thanks guys!
Max
It sounds like you are overloading the input stages of your amp. If so then turning the bass down and the amp up is exactly right. Good amps have low and high sensitivity inputs to look after this problem.

A good bass will not only improve your sound but be more rewarding to play. Unless you are gigging get the best guitar you can find/afford and worry about amps later.

keep on enjoying !
Thanks for the info, Phil!

Okay, I would like to buy an Epiphone bass, because I love the look of them and from what I've read they sound good too. I really like the look of the EB-3; what are your guys opinions? Anyone have any experiences with one? I'm going to go to a shop with a friend who's starting to play guitar (sucky beginner band FTW ) to try it and other basses out, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Thanks!
don't buy epiphone

they sound muddy, the neck dives like an Olympic swimmer, the bridge is prone to just flying off for no real reason and the quality control is questionable to say the least
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I bought a Cort and haven't regretted it yet, The peavey's look nice in this price range and you can't go far wrong with Yamaha.
Quote by skater dan0
don't buy epiphone

they sound muddy, the neck dives like an Olympic swimmer, the bridge is prone to just flying off for no real reason and the quality control is questionable to say the least

The bridge will never ever fall off unless if you have the strings off its the same as the stop piece on a tunomatic it'll fall off if there's no string tension to hold it on. t-birds are notorious for being muddy no other epiphone is really considered muddy. Same with the neck dive its kinda exclusive to tbirds. the quality control is fine epiphone makes decent products. the EB-3 by epiphone is better then the gibson counterpart by far it's got the same set neck, fairly similar pickups (the fat humbucker at the neck sounds pretty decent) a better control configuration (the epiphone has a selector knob and dual tone and volume pots where gibson has dual volume and a single tone) more aesthetically appealing (the epiphone has block inlays gibson has dots) is fairly balanced actually the only way gibson out does it is the nitro paint. It's not a bad bass try it tho.

And cort rocks i got one and it never lets me down.
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96
The bridge will never ever fall off unless if you have the strings off its the same as the stop piece on a tunomatic it'll fall off if there's no string tension to hold it on. t-birds are notorious for being muddy no other epiphone is really considered muddy. Same with the neck dive its kinda exclusive to tbirds. the quality control is fine epiphone makes decent products. the EB-3 by epiphone is better then the gibson counterpart by far it's got the same set neck, fairly similar pickups (the fat humbucker at the neck sounds pretty decent) a better control configuration (the epiphone has a selector knob and dual tone and volume pots where gibson has dual volume and a single tone) more aesthetically appealing (the epiphone has block inlays gibson has dots) is fairly balanced actually the only way gibson out does it is the nitro paint. It's not a bad bass try it tho.

And cort rocks i got one and it never lets me down.

the bridge won't fall off? tell that to my mates T-Bird, the bridge flew right off because the bridge post nearest to the neck was angled slightly forward for some reason, probably quality control. it sure as hell wasn't my mates fault, he does the best setups i've ever seen.

compare the EB-3 to the gibson and you'll come to your conclusion that it's an ok bass. compare the EB-3 to a good bass and you'll come to a very different conclusion. The pickups are muddy and unbalanced, most of the weight is in the headstock so it will dive unless you have a strap that can literally defy physics. the controls are ok if they are put together right which is something i've yet to see on an epiphone bass straight out of the box.

every time i've played an EB-3 i've made sure to A/B it with a bass i'm familiar with through the exact same rig and i've never been impressed with the EB-3. it has too many flaws to be a good bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by SuperMaximo93
Thanks for the info, Phil!

Okay, I would like to buy an Epiphone bass, because I love the look of them and from what I've read they sound good too. I really like the look of the EB-3; what are your guys opinions? Anyone have any experiences with one? I'm going to go to a shop with a friend who's starting to play guitar (sucky beginner band FTW ) to try it and other basses out, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Thanks!

i have the eb-3 and its really nice sounding and easy to play for practice in my room and stuff, dont no wat its like for a band situation(no music scene where i live>) and its solidly built. but dont take my word for it
Uh... I don't know the conversion from GBP to USD (I think it is like 1.5 GBP to every 1 USD? So you'd have like $300 USD?) but if you were to buy a bass I think a Squier VM Bass would be in your range. I THINK! Not entirely sure.

That being said, ignore it and buy a new amp.I would say an Acoustic B100 (That's if my conversion is right.)
Or if you need something quieter Roland Cube-30
Maybe a Warwick I dunno, I'm just tossing stuff out now.

Ok I'm done. Tada.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
the bridge won't fall off? tell that to my mates T-Bird, the bridge flew right off because the bridge post nearest to the neck was angled slightly forward for some reason, probably quality control. it sure as hell wasn't my mates fault, he does the best setups i've ever seen.

i watched someone tune a fender bass he'd had for a week after a string change and the tuning peg broke so fender tuning pegs break when they tune them stay away from fender. A guy with a Music man stingray is playing it and it falls not because the strap came off but because the strap button pulled outa the wood so dont buy music man the strap buttons fall out when u play one standing up. Your buddy got a dud i think

But you cant go wrong with Squire VM for their price
Keep On Keepen' On
Last edited by JessyB96 at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Phil Starr
A good bass will not only improve your sound but be more rewarding to play. Unless you are gigging get the best guitar you can find/afford and worry about amps later.keep on enjoying !

Playing the best Bass in the world through a crap amp will sound the same as a down market Bass, playing a down market Bass through a half decent amp will make it sound half decent.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by JessyB96
i watched someone tune a fender bass he'd had for a week after a string change and the tuning peg broke so fender tuning pegs break when they tune them stay away from fender. A guy with a Music man stingray is playing it and it falls not because the strap came off but because the strap button pulled outa the wood so dont buy music man the strap buttons fall out when u play one standing up. Your buddy got a dud i think

But you cant go wrong with Squire VM for their price

No. Tbird bridges are notorious for popping out of their sockets. If the front screw on the three point bridge is screwed too far in the back points slowly get pulled out of the bass. Not the screws mind you, but the sockets they screw into. I would know, I had to epoxy the sockets back in about a month ago when they popped out.
ok so all your tbird needs is a proper set up and it should be fine?
Keep On Keepen' On
I would challenge the comment that all Fenders have shoddy tuners. And Musicmen have fine strap buttons. As do OLPs for that matter.

Instead of the EB-3, have a look at the Blackbird (the Nikki Sixx signature) which is essentially the Gibson Thunderbird, with a different finish and imported from Japan. Its pickups are custom done by Epiphone and sound the same as the Gibson. And if you don't like the all-black you can replace the pickguard for about $50 tops (not sure in sterling).

But Corts are a good investment. Much more versatile than any Epiphone. And don't forget OLP: Stingrays at 1/3rd the price.
Last edited by the_underling at Feb 3, 2009,
Gaah, information overload

The shop I'm going to doesn't sell Corts or OLPs But they sell other good stuff. Shop is here BTW: http://www.dv247.com/icat/4+String+Bass+Guitars/3857/ (I'm going to their warehouse store so everything in stock online will be there when I'm there in person). I can't go much over £200, only by about £20 maximum

Considering at the moment that my purpose is to play better, and not make the bass sound better, I'm going to skip the amp for now. I can pretty easily get enough money for one by the end of easter, anyway, and my budget then will likely be a bit more than £200.

Okay, so it seems to me that Epiphone is a bit hit and miss. And the Blackbird is £50 over budget... Gaah they look so cool though
The Yamaha RBX 270/374 look good. 374 looks better though. How much of a difference does the pickups being active make? And what sort of batteries will they need?
Squier... my bass I have ATM is an identical style, and to be honest, I find it quite boring. Unless they have a really nice paint job or something they don't really excite me much

Thanks for the rapid replies guys!
Last edited by SuperMaximo93 at Feb 4, 2009,
hondo are pretty bad, played a few and thought they were very poor. In my opinion, you would do well with a squier- good, solid basses. That yamaha you linked is pretty good though. All the yamahas i have played have been pretty good but at the end of the day, its your money, and your decision. Don't be hasty in your choice and play as many different basses as you can
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Last edited by stevo192 at Feb 4, 2009,
There's NOTHING wrong with an EPI bass. I own 10 basses, and 2 of them are Epi's. The finish, great looks, sound quality all good. Allen Woody of the Govt. Mule loved Epiphone basses. As soon as I can find an Epiphone flying V and the 1958 Explorer bass, I'll add them to my collection. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tobias Growler and MM Stingray bass, but I don't think you want to spend $1,700.00 or more right off the bat.
Quote by dustybass
There's NOTHING wrong with an EPI bass. I own 10 basses, and 2 of them are Epi's. The finish, great looks, sound quality all good. Allen Woody of the Govt. Mule loved Epiphone basses. As soon as I can find an Epiphone flying V and the 1958 Explorer bass, I'll add them to my collection. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tobias Growler and MM Stingray bass, but I don't think you want to spend $1,700.00 or more right off the bat.

Allen Woody has a sig made for him by hand in the epi custom shop. face it, standard production epis are poorly designed
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by SuperMaximo93

Nothing wrong with being taken in by looks. Having a cool looking instrument makes you want to play it more

Frankly, I'd say you'd be better served saving up for a good middle-tier bass. If you go out right now and blow your money on another starter bass, you're just going to be leapfrogging your way to a decent instrument. However, if you do your homework and save up for a nice middle of the road or higher end bass, you'll have somthing you won't have to upgrade later and can play comfortably for years to come. In addition, when it comes time to amp-shop, if you already have one of your componants down you can focus purely on the amp's tone and not have to wonder "Well, it's cool but how would it sound with a good bass?".

That's my take anyway. Not to be a buzzkill (new instruments are hard to resist ), but you'll do better in the long run by holding out for a little while longer.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I wonder if anyone of the people that are supporting the epiphone basses have ever played a fender or something of the likes.
Seriously, epiphone is known for the poor quality control, bad electronics and overall bad designs in basses. The only good basses that come from gibson are tobias'
TS, as long as you avoid the epis, pretty much everything on that site toward the top of your budget is good. Washburn, Squier, Ibanez, and LTD all make fairly solid instruments. I don't know a lot about Ashton or Vintage, but I see them everywhere on UK sites so they can't be too bad. I'm liking the Vintage Stingray copies.

When you go, play everything you can get your hands on, and pick the one that feels right to you. (feels, not looks)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 23, 2009,
id say go with the squier or a traben. i love mine. the electronics are great and they look really cool. it is also quiet versatile. i could play anything from r&b to punk to metal and do nothing but mess with the eq on the bass. 3 band eq and pickup blend are great