I noticed that when i tap, my wrist is anchored on the guitar. Is this a problem?
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
yes in fact it is so bad that when u sleep your guitar spits in your mouth. they HATE it
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
yes in fact it is so bad that when u sleep your guitar spits in your mouth. they HATE it

that wasn't funny or remotely helpful.

on topic try using your thumb tohelp tour index finger stay in place when you tap. I really don't know how your doing it to effectively help but I tried
i anchor it on the bass strings to mute them, but i dont do anything crazy like 4 finger tapping so it works good
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I mute with my right hand by lying it across the strings, but this is a purposeful muting technique not anchoring. If you're doing something similar to this then it's ok.
I usually just put my thumb up onto the top of the fretboard on the wood above the 6th string. The only other place I thouch would be my wrist/hand on the strings to mute them.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I usually just put my thumb up onto the top of the fretboard on the wood above the 6th string. The only other place I thouch would be my wrist/hand on the strings to mute them.

I think this is as bad as proper anchoring though, as in essence you're doing the same thing: restricting movement.
Quote by Ikonoklast
I think this is as bad as proper anchoring though, as in essence you're doing the same thing: restricting movement.

tapping is a little different story then picking though.

To TS;

No it's not bad, but it depends. Obviously you need to anchor somewhat to reduce the string noise.

The thumb on the top of ur neck is not bad. You can slide it up and down, but mostly the left hand is doing patterns while ur right hand is just adding higher notes, without much movement.

Ofcourse tapping can get as advanced as creativity is the limit.

When I just do tapping lines, I anchor, but if I do a sweep with a tapped note at then end, my left hand is already muting for most, and I don't anchor with my thumb.

That being said, 2 summers ago I spend my whole summer on learning every approach, just to be certain.

Waste of time? maybe, but I don't' mind what has been done is done, and I Can tap with any finger and play with and without anchoring on every technique

It's a bit of common sense + added "what works for you". If you like how someone taps and wanna corporate it into ur style, then learn about how that person approaches it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
tapping is a little different story then picking though.

To TS;

No it's not bad, but it depends. Obviously you need to anchor somewhat to reduce the string noise.

The thumb on the top of ur neck is not bad. You can slide it up and down, but mostly the left hand is doing patterns while ur right hand is just adding higher notes, without much movement.

Ofcourse tapping can get as advanced as creativity is the limit.

When I just do tapping lines, I anchor, but if I do a sweep with a tapped note at then end, my left hand is already muting for most, and I don't anchor with my thumb.

That being said, 2 summers ago I spend my whole summer on learning every approach, just to be certain.

Waste of time? maybe, but I don't' mind what has been done is done, and I Can tap with any finger and play with and without anchoring on every technique

It's a bit of common sense + added "what works for you". If you like how someone taps and wanna corporate it into ur style, then learn about how that person approaches it.

Yeah but how can you have different standards for techniques. The mechanics of it are the same, if you try and play some of the 8 finger tapping stuff Chris Broderick does for example, you can't anchor, so why bother holding your thumb behind the neck at all? It will just limit you if you need to go more advanced. It's this theory that makes the argument against anchoring so strong, it can't be bad bad bad in one sense and then okay in the other because 'you're just tapping higher notes'.
Quote by GODhimself37

This isn't The Pit, sir. Comments like that aren't welcome.

On topic, I don't really see anything wrong with anchoring while you tap unless you play it regularly thoughout a song - Eg. Midnight. What I'm trying to say here is; If you use it as much as alternate picking, then you shouldn't anchor, but if you only use it in one or two lines of a song, then I don't see why it would become a problem.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Yeah but how can you have different standards for techniques. The mechanics of it are the same, if you try and play some of the 8 finger tapping stuff Chris Broderick does for example, you can't anchor, so why bother holding your thumb behind the neck at all? It will just limit you if you need to go more advanced. It's this theory that makes the argument against anchoring so strong, it can't be bad bad bad in one sense and then okay in the other because 'you're just tapping higher notes'.

See the problem with that is, it's all about the player with the 8-finger tapping example. I'm not interested in learning 8-finger tapping right now, and when the time comes, it's physically impossible to do that while holding your thumb on top of the fret board, so i'm going to change.

And my thumb isn't behind the neck, it's on top of the fret board. Like... I could touch the 6th string if i move it a millimeter. And it's just resting. It can move, completely stop touching, anything, that's just where I find it the most.
i anchor my thumb on the top of the neck, works wonders
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
I anchor my thumb on the top of the neck unless I'm holding a pick. I also tend to press one of my right hand fingers on the bottom of the neck regardless of whether or not I'm holding a pick, unless I need to use that finger to tap.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ikonoklast

Because at the end of the day, when you listen to music, all that matters is what you're hearing. And if it sounds good using both techniques, then it doesn't matter, unless it would provide serious injuries, which (based on experience with different tapping styles and seeing different players tap) it doesn't.

Picking is the most natural of playing. It's the standard, so this needs to be most comfortable, and this is the reason why this is discussed most.

Unless you play only tapping style guitar (or 8 finger tapping like Broderick), but if you read the bolded part of my initial post, you'd understand.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 3, 2009,
Yes but that's only if you're doing a long tapping run. Play and A Maj 7 arpeggio:

E----------------------4-5-----t12----------
B-------------------5------------------------
G----------------6---------------------------
D----------6-7------------------------------
A-------7------------------------------------
E--5-9--------------------------------------

What's going to be more economical? Putting your pick away in your hand, gripping the neck with your thumb, tapping, putting pick back, returning to normal position and sweeping back down the scale - or reaching across with middle finger, tapping, going back?

I just think if people are going to use the economical approach to picking and fingering why not apply it to everything else you do? Seems silly not to.

EDIT:
Because at the end of the day, when you listen to music, all that matters is what you're hearing.

True, but this isn't about musicality this is about technique.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by Ikonoklast
Yes but that's only if you're doing a long tapping run. Play and A Maj 7 arpeggio:

E----------------------4-5-----t12----------
B-------------------5------------------------
G----------------6---------------------------
D----------6-7------------------------------
A-------7------------------------------------
E--5-9--------------------------------------

What's going to be more economical? Putting your pick away in your hand, gripping the neck with your thumb, tapping, putting pick back, returning to normal position and sweeping back down the scale - or reaching across with middle finger, tapping, going back?

I just think if people are going to use the economical approach to picking and fingering why not apply it to everything else you do? Seems silly not to.

Like I said, I can tap with any finger. That's just my situation. On such an idea I use my ring finger.

I am crazy I learned every technique, because I was mind ****ed lol.

If you use ur ring finger for everything, then when you wanna do 8 finger tapping putting the pick in ur hand + using ur other fingers will be harder.

Likewise, if you only practice tapping with the pick in ur hand, then it's gonna be harder if you are doing a sweep lick with a tap.

You see, in the end, it's just best to be versatile, if you really care. IF you don't have enough time to practice or can't be bothered, then do it like ur favourite guitarist does it.

They both have advantages and disadvantages, and in the end if you can't write cool tapping ideas the noone cares how you tap. And this is FACT.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Like I said, I can tap with any finger. That's just my situation. On such an idea I use my ring finger.

I am crazy I learned every technique, because I was mind ****ed lol.

If you use ur ring finger for everything, then when you wanna do 8 finger tapping putting the pick in ur hand + using ur other fingers will be harder.

Likewise, if you only practice tapping with the pick in ur hand, then it's gonna be harder if you are doing a sweep lick with a tap.

You see, in the end, it's just best to be versatile, if you really care. IF you don't have enough time to practice or can't be bothered, then do it like ur favour guitarist does it.

Oh yeah i agree. I suppose i was mainly talking about when people put their pick away and anchor thumb/tap with index finger for just a few notes in the middle of a run, seems silly to me.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Oh yeah i agree. I suppose i was mainly talking about when people put their pick away and anchor thumb/tap with index finger for just a few notes in the middle of a run, seems silly to me.

And near impossible ye, I know.

That's why I said (i will say it one more time)

If you wanna do licks like ur favourite guitarist does it, then learn how to tap like he does.

IF you wanna be technical the best, then learn all the techniques (Although why seems a bit pointless to me, but too each his own)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
And near impossible ye, I know.

That's why I said (i will say it one more time)

If you wanna do licks like ur favourite guitarist does it, then learn how to tap like he does.

IF you wanna be technical the best, then learn all the techniques (Although why seems a bit pointless to me, but too each his own)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnouHoY8Xo

1:31. OBV It works for him, and he didn't anchor, this is just to illustrate my point. I think Satch does this quite a lot too. Bah, i suppose i always just found it easier with middle. But, +1 on the 'learning every way'.
Here I have 2 videos of me;

Tapping at 0:18 I tap like you said it with ringfinger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1piRCC-5rTg&feature=channel_page

Here at 1:42 I tap the other way with thumb anchored (well more using it as a guidance but w/e)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GEkQ6P1_mw&feature=channel

I don't really care I tap depending on my mood really

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Ikonoklast
I see i see. Nice playing btw, how long you been playing for?

almost 5 years.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
If it doesn't affect the sound, then no.

I think our supreme overlord did it on Liberty.
hue
Quote by xxdarrenxx
almost 5 years.

Ahh, you're good, i like the videos on modes.

Have you been practicing 'seriously' for the 5 years?

Cause i've been playing 8 years, but only really 'seriously' practicing since the October before last.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Ahh, you're good, i like the videos on modes.

Have you been practicing 'seriously' for the 5 years?

Cause i've been playing 8 years, but only really 'seriously' practicing since the October before last.

No I been playing this style for 2/3 years, before that punk and rock music and random beginner bs that everyone does in their first year of guitar playing.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Haha, I hate to say I've been playing for 5 years because I didn't even start practicing anything other than Green Day and Blink 182 till I joined UG last July, lol
If I'm correct, Guthrie Govan recommends you anchor while tapping...therefore you should anchor.

(Although I think he recommends anchoring for alt picking too )
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
^ He recommended it in his tapping lesson in guitar techniques, but that was mainly based around 1 and 2 finger tapping. Yeah, I anchor whilst tapping but I don't multi finger tap yet.
Quote by Myung-trucci
^ He recommended it in his tapping lesson in guitar techniques, but that was mainly based around 1 and 2 finger tapping. Yeah, I anchor whilst tapping but I don't multi finger tap yet.
So do I. The only way I can shut the strings up is by laying my wrist across them.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
Quote by ramm_ty
If I'm correct, Guthrie Govan recommends you anchor while tapping...therefore you should anchor.

(Although I think he recommends anchoring for alt picking too )

Just because he's gooddoesn't make it right.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Just because he's gooddoesn't make it right.
It was a joke.
Quote by TGautier13