Hey everyone

For the last year and a half I've been playing through a Line 6 Spider 3 HD 150W head, and I am seeking advice on new amps.

I've heard nothing but bad reviews from people about this amp, and it has definately lived up to those comments. The reason for me buying this particular head was the fact that I didn't have a sufficient enough funds for anything better, but now that I'm more knowledgable in a way about amps, I am looking to replace it.

So far, I've looked at a couple of heads, although I haven't tried any of them out. The one that has stood out over most others is the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade Head. From listening to several videos, this amp seems to be the best sounding, and the price is one in which I would consider.

If anyone has any advice, or could offer any guidance, I would very much appreciate it! I'm currently playing a Jackson Warrior and a Ibanez RG 1527, and I like to play most things, from death metal to prog metal, and blues to clean! (No pop or -core)

Thanks Very Much!
get a marshall head. **** the other heads marshall is the best for anything
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Every experience I've had with a Marshall has tempted me to stick the guitar right through it. I REALLY hate Marshalls.
why? ive never had any problems. the only marshall i have ever truly disliked was my MG. but thats understandable

edit: if not go for Orange. thats some good **** too :P

Last edited by GODhimself37 at Feb 2, 2009,
Since you play a little bit of everything, I recommend going with anything from the Randall family of brands. They have really good quality stuff. I've been playing a Randall RG75 for about two years now and I can do just about everything with it. This is a combo amp, but the effects built in are a nice touch (except the tremolo sucks). But just because it's a combo, don't let it fool you! This sucker is ****ing loud! I NEVER turn the volume above 2.
Switchblades are pretty awesome I know I would choose one over modern marshalls at the same price.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
You cant go wrong with an H&K, even if some say the Switchblade sounds too digital... IMO thats just the normal "FX-onboard? It's ****!" thing...

Take a look at Engl's, the Framus Dragon (don't know about the prive, though) or some Laneys...
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by dan da man
Every experience I've had with a Marshall has tempted me to stick the guitar right through it. I REALLY hate Marshalls.

dude you cant say that about marshall thats like badmouthing a ferrari. its one of those things youre not allowed to not like. i bet you hate pizza and tits too. as for advice for TS : keep open minded about trying out combos. a 100 watt 2x12 combo would give you more usable volume than the head youve been using but if you really want the head the switchblades are nice and versatile but marshalls are perfect for anything with the soul of rock and roll in it! both are a little noisy on extreme high gain settings but not that bad considering the huge gain they are capable of. also i would suggest checking out a few with 6L6 power sections to compare with the EL34s in the switchblade or just about any marshall. they generally have a tighter bottom end and tighter distortion characteristics when overdriven. you sacrifice a little of the classic mid/high-mid "marshall roar" but you get a little more thump and sparkle.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by GODhimself37
why? ive never had any problems. the only marshall i have ever truly disliked was my MG. but thats understandable

Why oh WHY do people insist on reccomending things when they don't know anything? and probably haven't tried any other amp other than their MG.

No marshalls don't beat everyother amp, and in my oppinion never will. Plus, just recomending a "marshall" or "orange" without any other insight into what model etc is pretty much useless. Also, why did you recomend orange? Did you look at his playing style? Theres plenty and plenty of better amps he could try for that style.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
dude you cant say that about marshall thats like badmouthing a ferrari. its one of those things youre not allowed to not like. i bet you hate pizza and tits too.

Umn, yes he can and so can i. I hate marshall to be honest, every marshall i've tried has rather broken down or just sounded iffy to me. Well hate might be a strong word actually, there was a few amps that sounded good. Mostly JCM's. But still.

No i don't like pizza much, tits are good.
Sweet.
Quote by GODhimself37
get a marshall head. **** the other heads marshall is the best for anything

Really? Reported for being a troll.

The switchblade should be fine, but you should consider some tube combos too, as it seems apparent that you plan on keeping the L6 cab (bad idea).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_switchblade_50_combo.htm
Switchblade Combo
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_screamer_50_roehrencombo_e330.htm
Engl Screamer 50

and you really should try some Marshall JVM stuff...it's quite good.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_jvm215c.htm
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

The switchblade should be fine, but you should consider some tube combos too, as it seems apparent that you plan on keeping the L6 cab (bad idea).

Dear god no, I intend to sell it to fund the next amp, I'm pretty sick of it altogether
Quote by BC_Warlock
Why oh WHY do people insist on reccomending things when they don't know anything? and probably haven't tried any other amp other than their MG.

No marshalls don't beat everyother amp, and in my oppinion never will. Plus, just recomending a "marshall" or "orange" without any other insight into what model etc is pretty much useless. Also, why did you recomend orange? Did you look at his playing style? Theres plenty and plenty of better amps he could try for that style.

Umn, yes he can and so can i. I hate marshall to be honest, every marshall i've tried has rather broken down or just sounded iffy to me. Well hate might be a strong word actually, there was a few amps that sounded good. Mostly JCM's. But still.

first scroll back up and check the completed post.(kind of forgot what i was going to say when i saw the blasphemy). second im no marshall feind (more of a vox man) but the sound of a tube marshall head screaming rock or metal through 4 or 8 12s is something that puts my hairs on end and its just one of those classic sounds of rock. i can absolutely see why somebody would have another amp prefrence for their style but the marshall roar is a timeless tone that nothing else can immitate 100% and i dont see how anybody could deny the awesomness of that tone even if its not an ideal personal style match.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
first scroll back up and check the completed post.(kind of forgot what i was going to say when i saw the blasphemy). second im no marshall feind (more of a vox man) but the sound of a tube marshall head screaming rock or metal through 4 or 8 12s is something that puts my hairs on end and its just one of those classic sounds of rock. i can absolutely see why somebody would have another amp prefrence for their style but the marshall roar is a timeless tone that nothing else can immitate 100% and i dont see how anybody could deny the awesomness of that tone even if its not an ideal personal style match.

Yes okay, but it's still preference.
Plus, you put that after i had quoted. Your post seems now more justied, if you get me?
Sweet.
I've played the Switchblade on a few occasions, and hated it every time. The sound was sterile, feedback was absurd, and despite the "wide range of tones", I didn't like any of them.

I'd say get something like an ENGL Screamer, or a Mesa Stiletto, or a Marshall JVM assuming you don't need too much gain.
Quote by GODhimself37

this is coming from the guy who, a week ago, had a next to the MG30 in his sig...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by BC_Warlock

who are you to tell me that just because i dont OWN those amps, that means i know nothing about them? i play with Marshalls and Orange's all the time when im home, bcuz they belong to my stepfather, and his band. so go **** yourself, you stupid bitch

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
this is coming from the guy who, a week ago, had a next to the MG30 in his sig...

it was a lot longer than i week. and i never really got to play on the other amps bcuz my stepdad was always doing gigs at bars when i was home.

reported again for continuing to troll. and double posting. learn to edit.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
one other thing for the TS.. the HK switchblade has a LOT in common with a 100 watt JVM. they cost about the same too as far as i know. just try them back to back if you can get a chance to. one more thing. dont sell your solid state head if you can afford not to. im the biggest tube head ever and right now i only have a tube amp but i still sometimes miss having my crappy little crate gx15 from when i was a kid because it still offers unique characteristics that are occasionally cool or, even better, usefull. trust me you will eventually start to ocassionally miss the immediacey and over-aggressiveness of the SS.
Cheers for all the advice guys, have a feeling some are trying to turn me into a Marshall head... I'll be going for a Belfast trip pretty soon, and I'll try a load of these amps out!
peavey xxx or jsx, they are versatile, they both have good cleans and gain. i approve
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
You should try out a Peavey JSX, Peavey 6505 and also Peavey XXX.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by GODhimself37
who are you to tell me that just because i dont OWN those amps, that means i know nothing about them? i play with Marshalls and Orange's all the time when im home, bcuz they belong to my stepfather, and his band. so go **** yourself, you stupid bitch

Okay, so now grow a pair of eyes and read my post yes? Then quote me where i said "GODhimself37 doesn't know anything because he doesn't OWN all of those amps."
Good luck.
Um, congratulations on your stepfather owning Marshalls and Oranges? I'm sure they're great.

Oh, and reported.
Sweet.
i wouldnt go for the 6505 if i were you. the gain channel is really not better than xxx/jsx imo, and it has ultra sh*t cleans comparitevely.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION