Hi guys

I'm now playing for a year and haven't practised much (in terms of actually doing exercises, not just playing songs). However, I got told that I would improve much faster by doing exercises, best with a training / exercising schedule, which I should obey and use everyday.

Now my question to you is - what does this schedule look like? More important, what exercises should it include so that I can use them and improve because I feel I really suck at the moment (I'm currently trying to learn the Fade To Black outro solo, which I think I will master but just with much practice, so that's about my level of playing).

Which exercises do you recommend and how long should I practice them everyday?
Quote by Deep*Kick
"Hi guys, god here. My son is uber awesome at improvisation, but he can't play cover songs for the life of him. Is he gifted?"
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm
^ That's good, i'm a fan of chromatic exercises and there's a good lesson on here with chromatic exercises.
Running through scales is also good.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by FFTLxx
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm
^ That's good, i'm a fan of chromatic exercises and there's a good lesson on here with chromatic exercises.
Running through scales is also good.

Thanks, I've been looking for something like this. Do you run through the whole neck doing these exercieses like from fret 1 to 24?
Quote by Deep*Kick
"Hi guys, god here. My son is uber awesome at improvisation, but he can't play cover songs for the life of him. Is he gifted?"
i recommend you get a exam hand book and use it as a basis for your practise .
you can purchase them from a website called books for guitar.
Quote by ibanez1511
i recommend you get a exam hand book and use it as a basis for your practise .
you can purchase them from a website called books for guitar.

+1. They are called RGT, in Britain they're probably the best electric guitar exam board.
Quote by Markitt
Thanks, I've been looking for something like this. Do you run through the whole neck doing these exercieses like from fret 1 to 24?

Anyone? Or do I have to do them for a certain time?

And some of the figures don't seem logic, I struggle to see a system in number 3.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Last edited by Markitt at Feb 3, 2009,
I would do them through the whole neck yes. Just because the mechanics of playing with frets wider apart and frets closer together is slightly different, so it would be beneficial.
Quote by Markitt
However, I got told that I would improve much faster by doing exercises, best with a training / exercising schedule, which I should obey and use everyday.

You'll get better by improving on how you practice, not by "obeying" a practice schedule or wasting endless hours on chromatics.