http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/zultone/

The name of the song is Hush Little.

Wrote it a bit ago for my fiance', it's on top of my favorite songs I've written, but I'm looking for some honest criticism.

How's it flow?

Does the guitar tone work well for it?

What about the vocals? I think they may be too overpowering - I tried something new
Layed down a left and a right track, sung at 2 different pitches, or the same pitch, like a harmony.

Good riffs, bad riffs?

Crit for Crit, post your song, I wanna hear it.
Thanks for checking mine out. critting as I listen...

I love the sound of the drums so far, what'd you use for them? they remind of something sort of industrial but not. Vocals are good, albiet suprising to me for some reason. I couldn't really tell you why.

Everything was good, not much negative to say about the actual music but I do think that was WAY too short...if thats what you were going for, then thats fine but in my opinion as a song, it needs a little more to it.

Sorry I couldn't give you much more, I thought everything else was really good, so...good job!

also, you asked me about the drums on sonar...You have to create session drummer as a soft synth and make sure you have 'MIDI Source' and 'All Synth Audio Outputs: Stereo' checked on the insert soft synth options.

from there you just choose the program you want on the drums, I use Hard Rock > Tight With Rides for all my heavy stuff. You'll also probobly want to assign each drum pad to its own channel and all that, to make mixing easier.

the very last track it creates, the actual MIDI track, go to output > new drum map > session drummer 2

then just switch to the piano roll view and program away. hope that helps!

EDIT: oh, and exporting MIDI as wav/mp3, how I do it is...mute all the tracks you dont want to convert to mp3/wav, then select all the midi tracks you want to bounce to wav or mp3 so their number is highlighted, go to edit > bounce to track, make sure <track#> New Track is set as the destination and use the 'what you hear' preset. then just click okay and it should render the MIDI tracks you seleted/didnt mute to a new audio track. from that point you can just mute or delete the softsynth or midi file and render everything like you normally would.

it might seem sort of redundant to select the tracks and mute the other ones, but I found that if the tracks arent selected, it won't bring up the bounce to track menu, and it'll tell you theres no audio data to bounce.

hopefully that works, too.
Last edited by Thomasoman at Feb 2, 2009,
Thanks for the crit - I used Hammerhead, a free program modeled after the old school techno drums, I combine certain drum sounds to create what I want, and usually use 2-3 different layers for panning, etc. etc. I also layer it for off rhythms or polyrythms (like **** hurled, or Morpheus [under my main ug profile, the music section])
I used to use a hacked version of fruity loops, but the key ran out and I didnt feel like finding another one, so I went with hammerhead, been using it for years.

Agreed, it is very short... But I really couldn't feel anything else to add to it without becoming repetetive or ruining the 'mood' of the song.

Thanks for the how-to on the drums, I'll have to try that when I get home!

Edit: Also, I use hammerhead a lot because it cuts through well when using my 7 string guitars ( A la Rubiks Sphere).
Last edited by zultone at Feb 2, 2009,
This is really cool! The drum sound is different, but I think it suits it, go's well somehow. The vocals have a great sound, really evil sounding. Guitar riffs are awesome! The tone is good too.

Only thing i'd say is that the marching sound at the start being out of time from the rest of the track sort of puts off the balance, you might want to have a look at that.

Great job though, nice stuff!
Quote by Sean Duffy
This is really cool! The drum sound is different, but I think it suits it, go's well somehow. The vocals have a great sound, really evil sounding. Guitar riffs are awesome! The tone is good too.

Only thing i'd say is that the marching sound at the start being out of time from the rest of the track sort of puts off the balance, you might want to have a look at that.

Great job though, nice stuff!

You know... It was really supposed to be a real uplifting non-evil song.
I thought that maybe doing the vocals how I did would give it a more charming mood, but it totally backfired on me.

But the more I tried, the darker it got, so I just left it as is.
Quote by zultone
You know... It was really supposed to be a real uplifting non-evil song.
I thought that maybe doing the vocals how I did would give it a more charming mood, but it totally backfired on me.

But the more I tried, the darker it got, so I just left it as is.

Awhh.

Well anyways, it's still a great tune.
In overall, I think this is a pretty catchy albeit a bit generic metal song. The riffs are good and I like the tone. However, the drums get a tad tedious. I would've wanted some more variation, maybe some grind beat when the solo comes in or something. A little remark about the mixing: I'm not really fond of the vocals being panned on the left and right. I would've preferred the guitars on the sides and vocals in the center. Otherwise, the vocals were great.
Hey. Well metal isnt really my thing and your voice kinda scares me haha! But I think that the guitar and the drums were awesome and sounded really cool. If you were going to add more to the song (like someone mentioned) I think changing up the drums at some point would definately help. But like i was saying because it is really short there isnt really a need for it now. I wont touch on the voice because like i said that metal isnt really my thing due to some of the singing in it haha. But you can always find good things about it!

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18471824#post18471824
"Through every dark night there is a bright day after that so no matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it."
Quote by Stratwizard
In overall, I think this is a pretty catchy albeit a bit generic metal song. The riffs are good and I like the tone. However, the drums get a tad tedious. I would've wanted some more variation, maybe some grind beat when the solo comes in or something. A little remark about the mixing: I'm not really fond of the vocals being panned on the left and right. I would've preferred the guitars on the sides and vocals in the center. Otherwise, the vocals were great.

The opening riff was actually from a grind song I never finished writing.

I slowed it down and used it for the intro to this song.

I can't seem to find it anywhere... Anyways, if you want grind, check out Anal pig cum and regurgitated rectum vomit on my soundclick http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=292579&content=music

Horrible production on the songs, but whatever.

I redid the drums on anal pig cum but cant find it... I think it used to be on my myspace.