can you name around 7-10 songs that would be a good starting point for learning songs by ear?
Gear
Guitar - Schecter C-1 Classic
Amp - Crate FXT65
Pedals - Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Digitech RP350

On Backup
Guitar - Baja Mini Strat
Amp - Baja 10W
It would be useful for our fellow members here if you could specify possible genres you want these suggestions to stem from...
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
It would be useful for our fellow members here if you could specify possible genres you want these suggestions to stem from...
sorry very good point. i like bands like metallica, guns n roses, ac/dc, zz top, pearl jam, lynyrd skynyrd, im pretty much all over the place. if its rock or metal there is a very good chance i like it.
Gear
Amp - Crate FXT65

On Backup
Guitar - Baja Mini Strat
Amp - Baja 10W
no one seriously has any idea?
Gear
Amp - Crate FXT65

On Backup
Guitar - Baja Mini Strat
Amp - Baja 10W
Hmmm, in that case I would suggest some of Iron Maiden's simpler songs... I started on them myself... metallica has some good starters as well. Try fade to black and one. If you want a toughy try picking out "Pull Me Under" (that'll keep ya busy for a while).
Basically, a good thing to do is to listen objectively to your own music; try to find spots where there's a chord progression that sounds about at your level to pick out, or a slowish solo or some sort of little melody... pinpointing individual riffs from your favorite songs is the best way to learn something, forever.
thank you
Gear
Amp - Crate FXT65

On Backup
Guitar - Baja Mini Strat
Amp - Baja 10W
I'd say something with a very distinct riff and melody, makes it easier to play along, also, it's hard to pick a song for you since the easiest thing would be picking a song you know very well, as in rhythms and melodies.
Gun's and Roses Patience was one of the first tunes I was able to pick out by ear alone back when I had just gotten down most of my basic chords and basic scale structures.
oh.. .anything CCR ... even if you don't like the band, the music is simple enough to use as an excecise in playing by ear.