I don't really see anything with the new MG line that really screams 'improvement.'
From the clips I've heard, it sounds better than the old MG.
But the majority of the change was mostly cosmetic though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You're probably the hundredth person to have created this thread. There's a searchbar for a reason.
what michal23 have u been counting u sad person

any other opinions (not that im buying it)
Quote by darkarbiter7

Well, that's not saying much.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by tallicaown
what michal23 have u been counting u sad person

any other opinions (not that im buying it)

he isn't counting anything, he's just suggesting that you use the search bar before you post a new thread about a new product line or something in future to avoid these arguments. Calm down, he wasn't trying to insult you.

the trouble is, had you used the search and posted in one of the older threads about it someone would've shouted "DON'T BUMP OLD THREADS!!!"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by darkarbiter7
But the majority of the change was mostly cosmetic though.

I once farted and it sounded better than an old MG so that's not really a claim to fame....
Bigger sticker, meh. They could have made it twice as good by adding a second "Marshall" logo. Hopefully there was some improvement though.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Bigger sticker, meh. They could have made it twice as good by adding a second "Marshall" logo. Hopefully there was some improvement though.

bigger MG sticker: at least they are not trying to hide the fact it's the amp with the reputation for being crap.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
bigger MG sticker: at least they are not trying to hide the fact it's the amp with the reputation for being crap.

If they wanted to do that they would have changed the name in 1988.

Edit: Yeah, they have been around that long.
Quote by gregs1020
If they wanted to do that they would have changed the name in 1988.

Edit: Yeah, they have been around that long.

Uh dude, you didn't actually edit the post, you just put an "Edit:" in your post, and that's not funny, its n00bism.

Just pointing it out, no offence meant.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Last edited by goonerbynature at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by goonerbynature
Uh dude, you didn't actually edit the post, you just put an "Edit:" in your post, and that's not funny, its n00bism.

It was a quick edit right after I posted, sometimes if you're fast you can do that.

No "offence" taken.
Quote by goonerbynature

If you edit soon enough after you originally made the post, the "edited" tag doesn't appear. so by calling him a noob because of something you weren't aware of, you just kinda owned yourself.

he did edit, because i saw the post before he added that last bit. anyway, what has this got to do with the thread.

so how old are the "G" series and "Park" amps?

Quote by Blompcube

I got a MG10 new in 1983 or 1984. I'm sure some historical sewer archive could cough up the date of the MG's original release.
Quote by gregs1020
I got a MG10 new in 1983 or 1984. I'm sure some historical sewer archive could cough up the date of the MG's original release.

Wow, the MGs are old
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gregs1020

have they always sucked?

and... i thought marshall were still producing the MOSFET amps around that time as their solid state range. does that mean they were making them at the same time, and the MOSFETs were like the current AVTs?

Glad im getting rid of my MG forever on the 4th, even tho i cant say i totaly sucked ass.
The clean channel was quite "OK" and the overdrive channel was "OK" when you added minimal gain and pushed the volume.

But yeah, i bought it because it was a "Marshall" logo on it.
Its funny on 1 of the links its says "pure analogue tone" then says it has digital FX and digital reverb. Not sure how that would be pure analogue. And all the little adds from artists saying how great marshall amps are. Its amazing to see randy rhodes in an ad for MGs Im pretty sure he was dead before MGs ever came out, of course they dont actually quote him saying MGs are great just that marshalls are great. Or billy gibbons just cant picture him ever using an MG for anything other than a footstool.
Quote by Tackleberry
Its funny on 1 of the links its says "pure analogue tone" then says it has digital FX and digital reverb. Not sure how that would be pure analogue. And all the little adds from artists saying how great marshall amps are. Its amazing to see randy rhodes in an ad for MGs Im pretty sure he was dead before MGs ever came out, of course they dont actually quote him saying MGs are great just that marshalls are great. Or billy gibbons just cant picture him ever using an MG for anything other than a footstool.

Those ads are not related to the MG's, except maybe the one where Zakk says the "MG's overdrive is slamming crushing" something.
Its just and add with people playing diffrent types of Marshalls, RR for hes signature stack and i think i saw Jimi Hendrix while visiting the site.
Quote by Blompcube
have they always sucked?

and... i thought marshall were still producing the MOSFET amps around that time as their solid state range. does that mean they were making them at the same time, and the MOSFETs were like the current AVTs?

My MG10 sucked ass. I had it during college and thank god almighty for the Tom Sholz Rockman I ran in front of it. That thing saved my love for the sport. The MOSFET amps we're more expensive I believe, I didn't have the cash.

Quote by Tackleberry
Its amazing to see randy rhodes in an ad for MGs Im pretty sure he was dead before MGs ever came out, of course they dont actually quote him saying MGs are great just that marshalls are great.

He was alive when MG's existed. Saw him on the Diary of a Madman tour, owned my MG at the time.
Quote by Zapher
Those ads are not related to the MG's, except maybe the one where Zakk says the "MG's overdrive is slamming crushing" something.
Its just and add with people playing diffrent types of Marshalls, RR for hes signature stack and i think i saw Jimi Hendrix while visiting the site.

yeah, it's something like "The MG sounds totally SLAMMING, the overdrive is CRUSHING."

^edit: I've been trying to find an old MOSFET. Sadly the only place i can find one is on ebay, and then i don't get to try it - it'd be nice to have a good solid state amp, and i've heard they are supposed to be quite good, but i have to try one myself to see if i like it.

Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 2, 2009,
If you click on the particular amp on the right of the screen the next page has the little animated box under it. Now it doesnt actually have angus, gibbons and rhodes saying MGs are the best. But it does lead one to believe they are indeed endorsing them. Or implies that the MG series is just as good as the tube amps marshall is so well known for. Its very unlikely marshall is going ot do anything other than cosmetics to the MGs. Think of how much money they have made selling them as is with their great tone and superb reliability. Why would they do anything different for every new tube amp they sell they probably sell 10 of the MGs. Yea the word is out about MGs but people are still buying them. Its gonna be like a box of cereal when they put a big label on it that says new and improved but all they have done is put slightly less in the same box but keep the price the same, see we made it better but didnt charge you any more money.
Quote by Blompcube
If you edit soon enough after you originally made the post, the "edited" tag doesn't appear. so by calling him a noob because of something you weren't aware of, you just kinda owned yourself.

he did edit, because i saw the post before he added that last bit. anyway, what has this got to do with the thread.

i think my g series is like 7 years old?
cause it's when i switch over from acoustics.

i didnt look it up tho.

and the g series was better because they were cheaper.

real edit: crap i think it may have been closer to ten years ago.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 2, 2009,
The only difference between the new and old is that the new has 4 channels and slightly improved voicing, but it's still nothing to brag about. I believe the rest is cosmetic.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs