Hi, I have been playing acoustic for about 6 months and have always wanted to get an electric. I'm quite good considering its only been 6 months, and I want to buy an allround electric guitar. I play lots of different styles, so a versitile guitar would be ideal. I don't really know where to start! I don't want to buy a complete beginner's guitar because I don't want to outgrow it in a year or two. I have about £350-£400, and that is for a good amp for home use and any other things I need to buy with the guitar (I don't know what these could be!).

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1uk3
Last edited by 1uk3 at Feb 2, 2009,
Well, you could get a Fender Standard Strat, which runs at about £250-£300, so you might not be able to get a decent amp if you get one of them. So, what I'd do is get a Squier Vintage Modified HSS Strat (High end Squiers are pretty decent, don't think they are a beginners guitar company) and a Roland Microcube/Cube 20 or whatever youre budget will allow.

Another guitar to consider, which is a really good guitar, is the Yamaha Pacifica 112, which does kick major arse. I'd probably get that over the Squier.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by 1uk3
I've found this Les Paul package:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Special-II-Electric-Player-Pack.aspx

does anyone know if it's any good?

avoid packaged at all cost.
they're never as good as a guitar and amp bought separatly.

i'd get a fender standard strat, and something like a Roland cube (but not the micro cube) or a vox valvetronix.
thanks!
i've been looking at review and stuff, and apparently marshall amp is good? u know the one for £50?
Avoid any cheap Marshalls. They are nothing like the Marshall amps that your favorite bands use.

In your price range, I'd look at getting a used guitar, like a Fender Strat HSS or a Yamaha Pacifica HSS, or maybe like a used Epiphone G400. For amp, I would recommend the Roland Cube 30X.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer