I tried the search bar but no luck on this. I was wondering if there are any tips out there on singing harmony. I can sing a solid lead but when I try and sing harmony with someone or a recording I keep wanting to go up or down to match their pitch. Any advice?
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Yes, and it's quite easy, it just takes time,

Practice humming/singing the notes.

Pick notes on ur guitar and go up and down scales.

For example; hit a C note, and hum it untill it's in tune. Then hit a D note and hum untill it's in tune. Do this for the entire major scale.

When you can instantly sing the note, speed it up or do bigger interval leaps, but you MUST be in tune almost INSTANTLY. And not take up time "Searching" for the note to be in tune with ur voice.

Bigger interval is like sing C - E then move on and try to hum C - F etc.

I can't stress this enough, but you must come to a point where you hum the note instantly in tune. If you need to "search" for the note with ur voice, then you very likely will just search for ur other singer's pitch and fall back in ur old habit.

If you practice this enough; then the "thought" of a note will be linked to the sound, and you can sing harmonies flawless.

Practice really.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 2, 2009,
Harmony has a lot to do with hearing the whole chord as a whole. Usually people sing harmonies using 3rds and 5ths, which you may already know. One thing you can try is to maybe put your hand over one ear, (the ear closest to the lead singer, or wherever the sound is coming). This way you can kind of block out the lead singer's vocals. Now you don't want to completly block it out, cause you need to be able to hear it a little bit, so ytou can blend in.
Anyways, that's just my advice.
Best of luck
thanks for the advice everyone I will give it a try
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard