Page 1 of 2
Hey guys

I currently have a GH100L and VC50 which i love, both are awesome.

I bought the GH100L first and loved it, I then saw the VC50 on ebay and bought it as i wanted more than one channel.

I have found my perfect combo amp, and am contemplating selling the GH100L ( I will always keep one laney as i love their tone)

However, i could have around £1200/1300 soonish and although I'm looking to buy a PGM401 I'm looking for suggestions with regards to a shred head, i don't want the VH100R as my vc50 has upgraded speakers (classic lead 80's) which is usually its downfall. If it matters, I'll be hooking the head up to an orange 2x12 with vc30's

So far I'm looking at the Engl Powerball but am open to any other suggestions

Thanks

Sharpant
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
thanks for the recommendation, have u played on one?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Splawn amps go quite highly reccomended around here, youtube them and see what you think.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Quote by sharpant
thanks for the recommendation, have u played on one?

>_< i got mixed up. i've played the alchemist, that was awesome. i'm fancying one myself when i get some cash prize moneys.

tbh on that budget UG cant do loads for you, there are so many awesome amps you just have to try them out
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The powerball is the grizzliest amp ever! more aimed towards like shred / metal [although the cleans are good!]

If you want something more versatile i'd go for a cornford mk50 II you could get some jazzier tones out of it.
There actually is no such thing as a "shred amp". Just go to a huge guitarstore where they have alot of high gain amps, try out the amps in and just above your budget, and look which amp you like the best. There are alot of amps on this planet, and unlike guitars, there's no such thing as playability or 'feel'. Just sound producing, attack, punch, bottom end, sparkle, and voicings. These are all objective things, so you have to find out yourself which amp YOU find the best in all these things.

There is only one way you actually can make yourself buy the wrong amp: buying without testing, or buying because 'the internet guys say this is the best amp'.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
The Uberschall is like £2k, most i can go to is £1250 tbh
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by LP_CL
There actually is no such thing as a "shred amp". Just go to a huge guitarstore where they have alot of high gain amps, try out the amps in and just above your budget, and look which amp you like the best. There are alot of amps on this planet, and unlike guitars, there's no such thing as playability or 'feel'. Just sound producing, attack, punch, bottom end, sparkle, and voicings. These are all objective things, so you have to find out yourself which amp YOU find the best in all these things.

There is only one way you actually can make yourself buy the wrong amp: buying without testing, or buying because 'the internet guys say this is the best amp'.

I'm looking for recommendations so i can go and try them out, I'd like to have a list of say 10 amps that are high gain recommendations around £1250

I'm not going to spend this kinda money on just recommendation
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Feb 2, 2009,
Well the tried and tested Peavey 6505 and Peavey JSX are pretty good at gain, so try one of those out. Not sure how they compare to the amps mentioned in this thread though.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Look a Peavey JSX too. The ultra channel is great for leads and it's crunch channel is really good for rhythm playing.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Not a peavey fan I'm afraid and yes I've played on the 6505

I won't write it off though, another to add to the list

Keep the suggestions coming, Mesa / Hughes and Kettner?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Not a peavey fan I'm afraid and yes I've played on the 6505

I won't write it off though, another to add to the list

Keep the suggestions coming, Mesa / Hughes and Kettner?
To be honest, I wasn't a Peavey fan either, until I tried a JSX. If you like Laney's, you would probably like the bright crisp attack of the JSX. The tone is warmer though and the ultra channel is very smooth with tonnes of gain on tap. Just the right amount of compression too.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Thanks for that description! I'll add it to the list which is so far

Engl Powerball
Peavey JSX
Orange rockerverb
Carvin Legacy

Need 6 more guys

Hope to see some mesa / h and k suggestions!
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Check out the Carvin Legacy.
Even after we get raped for American imports over here you'll have enough cash.
Randall RM100 (for 3 channels) or RM50 (2 channels, ever so slightly less flexibility due to lack of ability to mix power tube types) Blackface clean, Ultra Lead gain channel (buy used), and maybe an XTC if you get the RM100. IMO, sounds like a perfect shred combo.

Not sure how much they are in the UK though

Also, I hear the ENGL Savage (listen to Singery's "Beware the Heavens") is great, and the Blackmore too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 2, 2009,
Add these:
- Carvin legacy and carvin V3 ==> these are the amps Vai uses, so it will do shred fine.
- mesa dual rectifier
- mesa mark IV
- splawn quickrod/nitro
- H&K triamp if that is in your budget
- Maybe a marshall JVM, if you like marshalls?

As you are living in the UK, i'd suggest to buy UK made amps, because its cheaper for you. You an buy more amp with less money if you stay brittish. So your best choices are Marshall/Orange/Laney i guess.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Yeah, the Legacy is another good suggestion.

Also maybe:
H&K Triamp or Trilogy
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall JVM 205H or 210H
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by LP_CL
Add these:
- Carvin legacy and carvin V3 ==> these are the amps Vai uses, so it will do shred fine.
- mesa dual rectifier
- mesa mark IV
- splawn quickrod/nitro
- H&K triamp if that is in your budget
- Maybe a marshall JVM, if you like marshalls?

As you are living in the UK, i'd suggest to buy UK made amps, because its cheaper for you. You an buy more amp with less money if you stay brittish. So your best choices are Marshall/Orange/Laney i guess.

The mark IV is 2k
Rectifier is 1.6
H & K is 2.2

Way over my budget man, not a marshall fan either
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Used Legacy's and Single Recs have been popping up alot lately. I've seen both amps go for between $700-$900 recently.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Not a fan of used gear, i want to buy new, may sound stupid but that's what i intend to do
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Not a fan of used gear, i want to buy new, may sound stupid but that's what i intend to do
I understand, I'm the same way. Most people aren't though.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Any other suggestions guys?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Michael Angelo Batio apparently used/uses JCM2000s live and to record, and he has some splooge-worthy tone. Might be worth checking those out.
If you look around you can get a Cornford Hellcat or MK50 head for £1300ish. Cornfords are fucking beautiful; clear, defined, smooth overdrive with smooth, punchy mids that never sound unpleasantly honky. Obviously the Hellcat will be heavier, but they're both good for shred; good enough fur Guthrie Govan and Greg Howe, for a start.
And the Peavey JSX is good. Look into it.

Edit:

I was going to reccomend Soldano, but...

Those things are expensive.

Last edited by Rock Pig at Feb 2, 2009,
I saw MAB live and he used Krank amps, it must've been either a Krankstein or the Rev Pro or whatever it's called.

I still recommend the Peavey JSX though. And seeing you're from UK, here it is:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-jsx-joe-satriani-signatu/12603

880 pounds. Try one of those babies out in a store, I've only heard good things about them.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by sharpant
Any other suggestions guys?

You want a list of 10 high gain tube amps, but you dont want to go over 1250 quid, you dont want peavey (or clones), marshall or Laney, and you dont want to buy second hand?

You ask a lot mate.

You realise that now the GBP is very low, buying an amp NEW in the UK that is NOT Orange, marshall or Laney will be way overpriced, due to import taxes, shipping AND the gbp being low.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks

Why get an Orange when you get a Cornford for the same price? Oranges are ridiculously priced. They don't even sound that nice.

I agree. +2000. This is gospel truth. In fact, it's truer than the gospel.

Cornford=Amazing

Orange is alright. But an Orange for shred?
Ok, I know you said only ~£1250, but I feel the need to mention the Mesa Lonestar anyway just so it's out there.
404: Sig not found.
I'll second the Cornford suggestion, they are phenomenal sounding amps (but be warned, they are extremely unforgiving amps if your technique isn't up to par) though none of the hand-wired models are within your price range. Perhaps the Roadhouse would be worth looking into.

The Powerball would definitely not be my first call for a "shred" amp, neither are any of the Oranges. The JSX is an excellent lead player's head though.
The Framus Dragon is also worth considering, it has a very smooth and fluid lead channel, but doesn't open up at lower volumes.
i have a friend on another board who just got the cornford hellcat, my only worry is that it's 35 watts isn't it? how would you deal with this in a live situation? just mic it up i guess?

£1369 here

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/10354
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Horlicks
Brunetti XL R-evo?
Why get an Orange when you get a Cornford for the same price? Oranges are ridiculously priced. They don't even sound that nice.

Here's a nice demo of the Brunetti shred tone:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsv2iw8gT0s

+1 on both of those.

what type of shred? do you need multiple channels?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sharpant
i have a friend on another board who just got the cornford hellcat, my only worry is that it's 35 watts isn't it? how would you deal with this in a live situation? just mic it up i guess?

35 watts is plenty loud enough for any situation.
agreed, but from what i remember of the hellcat (which is not much), it didn't have all that much headroom. at all. though to be fair, it's set up with a "vintage" and "modern" channel, not "clean" and "overdrive", but would be worth bearing in mind, perhaps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2