I was wondering if there is any advantage to having an open back cab?
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Sound is more spread out, bass is looser. For anything modern sounding they usually don't work as well. Unfortunately most tube combos (and combos in general) are open back for cooling reasons. If you need tighter bass from one I suggest a 1x12 closed extension cab to use with the combo speaker. You get the best of both worlds then, the tight direct sound of a closed back and the loose open sound of an open back.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Open-back cabs really only sound good for cleans imo, where bass can get a little too boomy with a closed-back cab. Otherwise, I'd rather have a closed-back cab.

My Duncan combo does sound really tight with lots of gain pumping through it, but I think that's just because of the speaker that's in it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It's an open, more airy sound, sounds much better for cleans, and really nice with reverb and/or chorus applied.

Closed back is more focused, more bass, more "thump" - most people on this website seem to be metal players or rock players, so you'd prefer that, but the differences are more subtle at bedroom/practice levels.

Also, for what it's worth, an open back generally seems "louder" to people in the room, because the sound bounces out and around and reflects against more walls, if I understand they dynamics right.
I put my strap/picks/cables in my openback comobo amp.

I'm sorry, I'm just a n00b.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

The projection can sometimes be wonderful - just dont put them by a wall or in a corner! erk!
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
I put my strap/picks/cables in my openback comobo amp.

I'm sorry, I'm just a n00b.

Lol I used to do that too with my combo
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
yeah, they seem to work better for cleans and blues tones, and if you don't need a really tight overdriven tone. there's a bit more sparkle and a 3D quality to the tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MatrixClaw
Open-back cabs really only sound good for cleans imo, where bass can get a little too boomy with a closed-back cab. Otherwise, I'd rather have a closed-back cab.

My Duncan combo does sound really tight with lots of gain pumping through it, but I think that's just because of the speaker that's in it

I knew it. I knew I'd get sigged.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Quote by harrisonmon
I knew it. I knew I'd get sigged.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com