Isn't particularly common as far as I know. Are there any professionals that use it, and if yes, which ones?
One of the guitarists from alexisonfire does I think

But that might be stretching your definition of metal
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I don't think so, because you need to mute alot because of distortion / PM and most of the time, And strange or fast pickingpatterns are implemented in metal.

( and there was a thread about this a few days ago )
Opeth, often use acoustic fingerpicking. Mikael Akerfeldt / The other guitarist, the fat new one who I don't know the name of.
i saw Vortex from Dimmu strumming his bass pretty fast, he does it during progenies of the great apocalypse for sure. wether this helps or not though...
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Opeth, often use acoustic fingerpicking. Mikael Akerfeldt / The other guitarist, the fat new one who I don't know the name of.

Fredrik Akkeson? the dude who replaced Chris amott in AE for a while when he decided to fuck off?

anyways I personally think it's nice to use your pick, but have clean interludes which can be done fingerstyle
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
....because some people like it for teh lulz?

or just plainly because the are clasically trained, and like the playing style?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by blind.quardian
Why would you play it with fingers...no really just tell me one reason please.

Because it's a whole other style and feel of playing guitar, and is therefore useful if you're not a genre-*****?