I have an Ampeg SJ-12T that I picked up used a few months ago.

I have an opportunity to snag a Marshall JCM 800 2x12 for $350.

If I trade in the Ampeg I can snag the Marshall for $200.

I will say that I love the Ampegs simplicity, but its sound is kinda flabby/muddy for my taste. However the Marshall is a damn crunch monster.

Not sure what to do...
You have to do what will make you happy. I think you answered your own question.

The Ampeg sounds muddy, they Marshall is a crunch monster. If that is the way you hear it, then definitely make the trade.

Don't worry about the name on it or what others think, do whatever your ears and playing style demand.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
If the JCM 800 suits your style better and/or sounds better to your ears then definitely make that trade.

However, like Rio said, don't base your decision off brand names/models - base it off what your ears tell you.
That seems really cheap, I'd be wary of it having serious problems, otherwise it's a great amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
make sure the jcm800 sounds good first. some sounded great, some sounded like crap, they were a bit of an inconsistent line.
Wow, an 800 for $350?

If that thing actually works and really is an 800, if you don't like it, I will buy it for $100 more
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thats a great deal for an 800, i would be all over that trade, but whatever suits your style would work
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
Quote by MatrixClaw
Wow, an 800 for $350?

I think you are underestimating the value of a super jet just a tad, or I'm underestimating your humor moreso.

TS - Both are very good amps but as said it depends on which suits what you play better.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If it sounds bad just take it to a tech. Any decent tech will be able to get it to sound decent. My friends 2205 was so ****ed up when he got it and sounded like ****. The reverb added an octave effect and the bass was very flabby. He took it to a local tech here when he was in town though and he got it back 2 days later sounding amazing. It also turned out there was an NOS Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the V2 position which was swapped to the V1 position. That tube alone is almost worth what he bought it for.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by gregs1020
I think you are underestimating the value of a super jet just a tad, or I'm underestimating your humor moreso.

Super Jets sell for pretty cheap used, the Reissues at least.

But I was moreso talking about just the price of the JCM 800, he could probably sell the Jet for about the same and come out with an even trade, trading in the Jet and paying $200, probably wouldn't be a good deal
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
LOL
Ok, slight error on my part (well also on the part of the shop owner).

Its a Marshall JMC900 combo. Not the 800. He sold the 800 a few months back.

Ive tested both the 800 and 900 about 6 months ago. I was gonna buy the 8, but it was gone and then I was going to get the 9, but the seller came back for it so it was gone.

Apparently he's in a country band and didnt like the sound of the 900 so he was selling it. Thats when I first saw it and tested it. Aside from some crackling from the knobs it was pretty decent. Lotsa gain.... He wanted $450 at the time. Now its back at the shop. He brought it back saying it just aint workin for him (sound wise). He needs the loot and knocked off $100. Amp seemed to be working ok and had the footswitch with it as well.
Hell, that's still dirt cheap for a JCM900.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not