Whats the difference in sound between them?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
The Blackouts aren't as good in my opinion. The rhythm tone is all muddy and not very good for metal in general. The lead tone, however, is particularly nice and I find it to be, for want of a better term, smoother than the EMGs. I'd say that EMGs are all round better metal pickups whereas my guitar with the Blackout is generally confined to strictly solo-ey songs.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
yer blackouts are good on an all attack solo. but emgs still work far better. maybe on cheaper guitar blackouts
Quote by Ed Hunter
The Blackouts aren't as good in my opinion. The rhythm tone is all muddy and not very good for metal in general. The lead tone, however, is particularly nice and I find it to be, for want of a better term, smoother than the EMGs. I'd say that EMGs are all round better metal pickups whereas my guitar with the Blackout is generally confined to strictly solo-ey songs.

So put a blackout in the neck and an EMG 81 in the bridge.

Badabing.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
So put a blackout in the neck and an EMG 81 in the bridge.

Badabing.

Or the other way round.
Since a fair few people would use the bridge for solo.
Can you hook up two different actives like that?

Number 7 from Slipknot uses Blackouts, check out his tone on youtube.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Can you hook up two different actives like that?

Number 7 from Slipknot uses Blackouts, check out his tone on youtube.

I wouldn't compare anything described by the words 'good tone' with anything described by the word 'slipknot.'

But that's me.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I wouldn't compare anything described by the words 'good tone' with anything described by the word 'slipknot.'

But that's me.

Amen to that... +1

-TFA
Quote by strat0blaster

But that's me.

I guess that's what Blackouts sound like then.
I got a Jackson Warrior with EMG 81/85. And I've put both pickups in both positions and all positions leave a whole lot to be desired and a heep of feedback, despite being 'low impedance" and stuff like that, using my Mesa head, my other guiterist's Peavey transtube, out of my Mesa 4x12. I wasted a lot of time with ebay trying to get ahold of them and now I'm trying to sell the guitar.

But, my buddy in a band we've played a lot of shows with has a Dean V with a blackout, plays out of a solid state Ampeg full stack and has twice as good of a sound as my main rig. He's a lot more experienced than I am, but I've already played on his rig for shows on the fly, and yeah, it's a solid pickup. I've actually been thinking about one lately for my Gibson Explorer..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
EDIT: @Nilpferdkoenig^ Nah, the amp makes up way more of the tone than the pups.

As far as Blackouts vs. EMGs go I've only played a guitar with EMGs and even then it was only messin' around at a GC so I really have nothing to add.
Last edited by robertito696 at Feb 2, 2009,