Im afraid that i completely wrecked my guitar. A month ago, i decided to change the strings on my guitar before heading home from college, and took all of them off first to wipe down the fretboard. I realized that my bridge was a little lose and i wanted t fix it, so I decided to wait until i got home and had the proper tools before doing so. About four days later, i went home, tightened the bridge and put on new strings, and now my guitar is royally screwed. While every string will play if unfretted, if i fret anything from the first fret onwards, all i get is buzzing. While there is a decent amount of space under the strings for the first several frets, from the 20th - 24th frets the string is almost touching the frets when the string is open. From siting the neck, it appears to have a little bit of bow, but i dont feel like reducing that would necessarily fix my problem?

I dont understand why this happened, as im using the same gauge strings as before and dont know what could have changed so much, my guitar played perfectly before. Could leaving the strings off for a few days have caused this? I have a Schecter C-1 classic too, so its not a low end guitar or anything. Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated!
Originally Posted by hug a llama
Kidnap and interrogate him. His knowledge of flying reindeers may become useful in the future

Originally Posted by insideac
What did the asian family name their deformed son?
Somting Wong

By the sounds of it by "tightening it" you lowered it. Raise it back up.

It tightens with string tension ;O).
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
How did you tighten your bridge? Sounds like you inadvertently lowered the action to me...

Edit: willieturnip beat me to it
Quote by zhilla
How did you tighten your bridge? Sounds like you inadvertently lowered the action to me...

Edit: willieturnip beat me to it

This.
Raise your action, man. When you 'tightened' the bridge, you actually lowered it. How high it is has nothing to do with how snugly it fits in the screw post holes.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It has a TOM bridge they are a little loose whithout strings on it. So you just screwed the studs all the way down till it was tight, right. Well now the strings are to low. Raise it back up.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense, thank all. My bridge was actually falling off without strings on it, and i tightened it all the way up because it seemed like that was a bad thing. Any specific height i should have it at, or just any point where my guitar actually plays is fine?
Originally Posted by hug a llama
Kidnap and interrogate him. His knowledge of flying reindeers may become useful in the future

Originally Posted by insideac
What did the asian family name their deformed son?
Somting Wong
Quote by Typhoid Carpet
Actually, that makes a lot of sense, thank all. My bridge was actually falling off without strings on it, and i tightened it all the way up because it seemed like that was a bad thing. Any specific height i should have it at, or just any point where my guitar actually plays is fine?

this