Please talk from experience or from someone you know etc. Because your guess would probably be just as good as mine.

I have five songs total that I believe are my best for a demo tape so far; I have about 3 weeks before my scheduled date for recording this demo tape with a guy who owns a home studio and does demo tapes with people for a living.

The songs are all instrumental. The styles vary:
Track 1 - Intro song, starts off diminished and ends in major with soloing through a few chords in each part. about 2:30
Track 2 - A classical song I made, really nice, short though, about 1:30
Track 3 - A southern-sounding (best way to describe it) rock song. about 3:30
Track 4 - A R & B ballad (about 4:10)
Track 5 - Heavy Metal song (about 3:10)

It's not just to show I could be versatile, that's just kinda how my mind works when I right, I don't think I could stick to one genre.

Do you think that would be enough or would they want more/less etc.? The more the better or worse? Please help me out here.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
i'm all for variety but when doing something like this you want all the songs to kinda feel like they can be put on the same album. give the country tune a little rock mojo to it, give the r&b tune a little twang/country or a little rock feel to it. find something that can kinda tie all the songs together. if you're looking to shop this around to record co's and not just use it as a "look how versatile i can be" example then you want the songs to kinda sit in a general area of "this is kinda the genre im in" kid rock is a good example of this i think.
If this is going out to labels, then do as z4twenny said; labels don't want to see how versatile you are, they want to see your sound, who would like it and how they could approach releasing it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
If this is going out to labels, then do as z4twenny said; labels don't want to see how versatile you are, they want to see your sound, who would like it and how they could approach releasing it.

They all incorporate some unique techniques which is quite unique from most shredders; meaning although the songs are all different, you can identify them from the playing. Would that work?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
^ like what, give me an example here. does your r&b have some 8 finger tapping pieces? does your country tune have a wah drenched delay solo?

the thing is if you take it to a rock label they're gonna say "well these rock tunes are ok, but this country and r&b stuff isn't gonna work" same thing if you take it to a r&b label, they're gonna say "this r&b song is ok, but what the hell is up with this heavy metal!?!?"
Last edited by z4twenny at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by z4twenny
^ like what, give me an example here. does your r&b have some 8 finger tapping pieces? does your country tune have a wah drenched delay solo?

The way I accent notes in scales and the placement of the notes. I tend to use some very unique stuff...Its kind of hard to explain because I have a very indepth theory on my playing. I'll put up a mp3 in the future.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
Quote by z4twenny

the thing is if you take it to a rock label they're gonna say "well these rock tunes are ok, but this country and r&b stuff isn't gonna work" same thing if you take it to a r&b label, they're gonna say "this r&b song is ok, but what the hell is up with this heavy metal!?!?"

They all go into a melting pot that's my style, it's just the band is playing r&b themed etc. parts. It's all recognizable, I made sure that was true because if it wasn't I'd just be another guitarist.

I should probably not include the classical thing though -- it's completely different from my other stuff. I was originally thinking about writing 10 songs, do you think that would be enough or too much?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
well, the thing is that you CAN do whatever you wanna do. but if the songs aren't tied together thematically in some way then you have a far lower chance of getting positive responses.
Quote by Brian 1.0
The way I accent notes in scales and the placement of the notes. I tend to use some very unique stuff...Its kind of hard to explain because I have a very indepth theory on my playing. I'll put up a mp3 in the future.

Let us hear a recording.

All pop songs I hear today and know, can easily be explained. If you theoretically can't explain ur songs, then no label is gonna accept u.

Music business doesn't want avant-garde/experimental stuff. They want stuff to sell.

They rather have you playing a **** song, but have an extremely hot body and/or good voice then anything else.

Uniqueness and music-business are totally opposite.

Sometimes they crossover, but this happens oh so rarely.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 3, 2009,
Let us hear a recording.

All pop songs I hear today and know, can easily be explained. If you theoretically can't explain ur songs, then no label is gonna accept u.

Music business doesn't want avant-garde/experimental stuff. They want stuff to sell.

They rather have you playing a **** song, but have an extremely hot body and/or good voice then anything else.

I agree post an mp3 and let us hear it.
You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!
- John Lennon

You either get tired fighting for peace, or you die.
- John Lennon
Quote by xxdarrenxx

this is SO SO SO SO true unfortunately. some genre's like metal etc, the record co's for them don't really care how you look. in fact its almost encouraged that you look like crap. but if you want to get with a big label and do all the "big timer" stuff you pretty much just need a pretty face and to know a few chords. writing good music is totally secondary, if you can't write a song then don't worry. they'll hire someone to do that for you.
Quote by z4twenny
this is SO SO SO SO true unfortunately. some genre's like metal etc, the record co's for them don't really care how you look. in fact its almost encouraged that you look like crap. but if you want to get with a big label and do all the "big timer" stuff you pretty much just need a pretty face and to know a few chords. writing good music is totally secondary, if you can't write a song then don't worry. they'll hire someone to do that for you.

ESPECIALLY now with the economical crisis.

Noone has the money (financial catchnet) to even remotely experiment with new stuff. They need money, so prepare for more bubblegumpop and 'jonas brother' bands or any recycle shiznit that can be written and recorded in a few days and has the highest cost/profit rating of all music

Also downloading music and indie labels also have bad effect on this.

Now that I mention it; TS you could try (minor)Indie label, although it won't realyl make a difference for ur band, financial wise.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I'm playing instrumental guitar music. Looks are secondary. I found a few companys with A&Rs that say they listens to anything and will give you a deal for anything that sounds promising.

I don't have an amp or any gear right now besides a guitar, I'm waiting for the 10th for posting samples...I could possibly post .gp5 files if you want though.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
Quote by Brian 1.0
I'm playing instrumental guitar music. Looks are secondary. I found a few companys with A&Rs that say they listens to anything and will give you a deal for anything that sounds promising.

I don't have an amp or any gear right now besides a guitar, I'm waiting for the 10th for posting samples...I could possibly post .gp5 files if you want though.

Post names of the companies.

Instrumental music isn't gonna sell, and there are only 2 major companies that really deal with that, and that's Shrapnel label and Favored Nations (Which doesn't accept demo's at the time).

How many Instrumental guitar tunes do you hear on tv or on the radio?

Exactly.

It doesn't sell in popular settings, it takes not that much common sense.

Only solo artist that are with big companies (like Vai on Epic (sony) and DT at Roadrunner), is because they established name in the "underground or non underground" music scene or came out of the 80's alive.

They were already well known through other media before they got a deal.

Music companies want you if you are popular on media such as youtube or any other source, because that saves them a ****load of cash marketing wise, and they already have that safety of an already established fanbase.

Why create a product if you can already get an established product and just have to put ur name under it to cash out on the artist.

Your seen as a product.

That they say that is just to see if they can get new ideas from ur music, but they won't give a random record deal. They are just acquiring info of what's going on in the music scene.

If you think I sound harsh, then you will cry once you deal with those people.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Firstly, we don't care how theoretically advanced your music is, nor how "original" it is, this doesn't help us answer your question. If you are recording the demo for fun then do whatever you want, but if your trying to sell it then your going to need to tie them all together somehow.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
If you theoretically can't explain ur songs, then no label is gonna accept u.

Not True. sellability has little to do (if not nothing to do) with whether or not the artist can explain things theoretically.
I agree with Munky yet again. BB King can't even build chords and he's still selling. Michael Akerfeldt doesn't know what scale he's using in The Drapery Falls (last I heard) and Opeth are one of the biggest metal bands going right now.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Not True. sellability has little to do (if not nothing to do) with whether or not the artist can explain things theoretically.

I know please read entire post and don't take that stuff out of context.

I meant that in regards to saying that his music is advanced, and big labels dont' accept music that has arpeggio sweeps chromatics or w/e theoretically musical advanced ideas.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Five is too many. I never listened to more than three and the first two had to both be good enough to spend more time listening.
Its not quite true that instrumentals don't work but it is very rare and has to have a massive twist. Like shredding a classical piece (that's been done a lot) which is what the only non vocal band I ever heard of getting offers did. They just didn't want to make a career out of thrash classics.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by xxdarrenxx
I know please read entire post and don't take that stuff out of context.

I meant that in regards to saying that his music is advanced, and big labels dont' accept music that has arpeggio sweeps chromatics or w/e theoretically musical advanced ideas.

I'm sorry but I still don't agree with you on this. ( and I didn't see that as being out of context, I saw it as the core of your point)

I don't think what's "sellable" really has anything to do with how technically or theoretically advanced it is. There certainly are format issues, for instance a 10 minute song will not likely become a radio hit. A standard pop song though, certainly could contain virtuosic playing as well as "advanced" writing.

TS:
IMO, the best thing you can do is present the material as you think it should be. You're artist. your music should be your expression, rather than an attempt at what you think you should express for the sake of making money. Maybe you'll get rejected, maybe you won't. Either way, you'll learn and develop as an artist.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 3, 2009,
^ +1

and if it doesn't produce the results you would like from a "professional" record company then spend a little time and effort and market it yourself over the lovely interwebs. thats what im doing.
That's all romantic and all^^

But I have met a few of these music business bolo's and I know how they think.

If you ask them the name of any song that's not a hit on the cd, they don't' even know the name.

They don't' care, they want money.

They are business oriented, music hasn't even got anything to do with it. They can bring out anything horrendous and it will sell purely because of marketing.

They already have problems with album sales, and a lot of artists get dropped. Last thing they want is someone who comes with "a new direction" music way.

Even Favored Nations the label for THE instrumental artist doesn't even accept demo's.

Says enough.

Yes new music could hit contain virtuostic playing, it's just that this is not the right time for it.

Music business now resorts in selling rights to GUITARHERO games to finance their business, and to try to resell/market their old artists.

And it works..

which is why there are 5 or 6 games + all the copycats of it. (rockband or w/e it's called)

+ kids buying slash guitars and gnr records.

They will definitely "float this boat" for a while. Until it's drained, and they seek for new ways to make cash shamelessly using music as a vehicle.

I'm not being an ass for the sake of ass, I know how these business bitches think, I Got screwed over myself dozen a times.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^ im not arguing that, what im saying is that if a label doesn't want to put your album out then put it out yourself. i personally would much rather alot of people download and enjoy my music for free, then have a small demographic enjoy it for a small amount of money made on it.
Thanks for all your help guys. It seems like you guys now have more questions about me then I know have for you guys. It feels like it's going to be a lot of luck from what you guys seem to be saying. I record the 21st, so I'll make a new thread in the future/maybe PM some of you guys that seem to be more understanding and critical then the others and get some info.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
Quote by z4twenny
^ im not arguing that, what im saying is that if a label doesn't want to put your album out then put it out yourself. i personally would much rather alot of people download and enjoy my music for free, then have a small demographic enjoy it for a small amount of money made on it.

Ye I know;

I agree, I'd rather have my music out for free too.

This may sound strange, depending how media influenced you are, but if you make music because you love music, then you should avoid major record companies.

If you wrote an awesome piece of music, but they say, it doesn't sell, then they will delete it as if it's nothing. They don't care sadly

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??