Hey guys... I know there's already a tonne of threads on microphones, but I couldn't find anything satisfactory. Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent and versatile microphone, which will be used for recording electric and acoustic guitar, vocals, keyboards, and maybe even drums if I'm lucky

Budget is up to about €150, for the most versatile and quality mic in that price range!

Cheers in advance!
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
my 2 versatile mic choices are the sm57 (nooottt so good for vocals or acoustic) or the at4040 from audio technica, its known as a workhorse mic. People use them as overheads, acoustic, individual cymbals, vocals, etc etc, sounds pretty decent on electrics, i think i have a sound clip somewhere but i didn't take HEAPS of care positioning it.

EDIT: ok you'd definately have to play with positioning with the at4040.
Last edited by doommaker at Feb 2, 2009,
Sure

SM

The one mic to rule them all!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Sure

SM

The one mic to rule them all!

So it's good for teh vox too?

EDIT: Nevertheless, I think I've found my mic! I knew of it's popularity but wasn't sure it was an all-rounder! Thanks to both of you!
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by CrazehSteve at Feb 2, 2009,
sm57 is the all around mic, a cheaper alternative is the pg58(i think) anyhow you will get 99pc replies for the shure sm57...everything from vocals to drums to acoustic...it just does it all real well for the price
Don't get the performance gear (PG) series mics. All I have heard is bad things.

Get the 57 and a pop shield. Works for everything well enough..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Don't get the performance gear (PG) series mics. All I have heard is bad things.

Get the 57 and a pop shield. Works for everything well enough..

Ive used the pg it wasnt too bad...only thing is it should stay in a stand...Its a cheap alternative anyhow...only real difference I thought is that it has plastic parts compared to the sm metal parts...I think the guts are still the same, not sure though.... I had a 50 dollar nady that was great, if you didnt move it...I guess if it were me though, Id definately get the sm series( and a pop shield:P)
The Shure PG58 is made of metal. I got one in my hand right now.
And about that not staying in stands thing. Mine has never fallen out ever in my whole liftime.
do yourself a favour and get both a shureSM57 and AKG C1000s on ebay

That'll pretty much cover everything!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald