Would it be possible...wait for this...
To have an extra potentiometer which controls pitch, which could be used for alternater tunings such as Eb, C#, and such, with no effect on the physchical guitar?
It could also be used for super bends (up a whole octave, for example)

I'm thinking the pot would look something like a normal pot, but with letters (note names) instead of numbers? going from E standard, to an octave higher, and an octave lower too.

Is this possible?
Why have I shared this on UG before copyrighting?

x
OMG You mean a VG Strat!?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by MrToucan
Would it be possible...wait for this...
To have an extra potentiometer which controls pitch, which could be used for alternater tunings such as Eb, C#, and such, with no effect on the physchical guitar?
It could also be used for super bends (up a whole octave, for example)

I'm thinking the pot would look something like a normal pot, but with letters (note names) instead of numbers? going from E standard, to an octave higher, and an octave lower too.

Is this possible?
Why have I shared this on UG before copyrighting?

x

so basically the whammy bit of a digitach whammy but in a guitar.

go for it. you're not god until it works
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by chuckflan333
OMG You mean a VG Strat!?

i was thinking the same thing while reading.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Line 6 Variax.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Build a guitar with analogue whammy stz - that would own one of those crappy digital VG strats. Then you would be a god.
It wasn't the idea that pushed this thread over. It was his tone when making the thread. Not that I care anyway. I found it funny. What's even more funny, is how he's either:

1) never going to post here again OR
2) has already registered a new name
Quote by LateStart
It wasn't the idea that pushed this thread over. It was his tone when making the thread. Not that I care anyway. I found it funny. What's even more funny, is how he's either:

1) never going to post here again OR
2) has already registered a new name
3) has already committed suicide all over the place

dude, what about if i made a bridge, that was balanced by springs, and strings, and you could pull it up and down, controlling the tension of your strings.. making a...whammy effect? and it has a bar that tightens into the bridge to control it...a...whammy...bar.

A WHAMMY BAR.

/goes to patent office.
What if..dudes! Listen up. I've designed a way to mod my humbucker pickups. You know the ones that look like 2 single coils started shagging and got stuck? Yeah those. Well check it dudes. What if there was some way to use only one of those coils at a time? So basically you can rock out humbucker style, then BAM!!! Strat style baby. But here's the kicker. You control it with your pots!!!! Not only do they twist and stuff. They click up and down like a switch.

I will be rich.

Oh wait, I told UG first.
Quote by LP Addict
dude, what about if i made a bridge, that was balanced by springs, and strings, and you could pull it up and down, controlling the tension of your strings.. making a...whammy effect? and it has a bar that tightens into the bridge to control it...a...whammy...bar.

A WHAMMY BAR.

/goes to patent office.

Thats why he hasn't posted yet, hes gone to the patent office to make sure he can get it patented before any of us do...

Not to be a dick, but you know the correct term is vibrato bar right?
Quote by LP Addict
its called a tremolo bar, get it right before you try to pwn noobz

tremolo is a rapid decrease and increase in volume
vibrato is the same but in pitch

leo fender got it wrong
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
tremolo is a rapid decrease and increase in volume
vibrato is the same but in pitch

leo fender got it wrong

YES!!! Very common misconception. Glad someone else knows it...

As for the topic... I think this guy doesn't know much about wiring. He's just talking about an on-board digital whammy. On-board effects are kind of rare, but not unheard of, I'm sure this has been done...

Also, wouldn't it be kinda hard to keep the knob right at 5? Or the middle or whatever. It seems like if "normal" were at the top or bottom, you would only be able to go up or down. If it was in the middle, you would need some sort of locking function to keep it from slipping at all, or you would be out of tune...
Quote by travistag
YES!!! Very common misconception. Glad someone else knows it...

As for the topic... I think this guy doesn't know much about wiring. He's just talking about an on-board digital whammy. On-board effects are kind of rare, but not unheard of, I'm sure this has been done...

Also, wouldn't it be kinda hard to keep the knob right at 5? Or the middle or whatever. It seems like if "normal" were at the top or bottom, you would only be able to go up or down. If it was in the middle, you would need some sort of locking function to keep it from slipping at all, or you would be out of tune...

you could get something like a tone knob on speakers. my speakers' treble and bass has a little groove sort of thing that tells you when it's in the middle.
just building on ideas here, but has anyone ever made a whammy bar from a whammy pedal, so you can control it like a floyd rose without actually moving the strings?

If the pot was mounted on its side and a bar was attached. I'm not actually sure how a whammy pedal works though as I can't afford one and won't be able to any time soon.
Last edited by Matthew2012 at Feb 3, 2009,
Tremolo ˈtrɛməˌloʊ/ [trem-uh-loh]

1. a tremulous or vibrating effect produced on certain instruments and in the human voice, as to express emotion.

Vibrato [vi-brah-toh]

1. a pulsating effect, produced in singing by the rapid reiteration of emphasis on a tone

Im gonna go ahead and stick with tremolo, thanks.
Yes, but who is to say that those definitions weren't written with the "Whammy" bar in question.

Trem Bar. Trem System. Trem-riffic.
Gear:
Rip off Phantom guitar (DNKY)
Fender Princeton '65
Silvertone-re-build

ES31c Cut Away
Fender TexStrat Custom
Marshall 2x12 Anniv. Ed.
Vintage '82?

Line 6 - ToneCore Deathmetal Dist.
Mackie Mod Chorus (Custom)
The History of Tremolo and The beginnings of Vibrato

Simply put, Tremolo is a cyclic change in volume. Tremolo, a.k.a. amplitude modulation, is a very pleasing effect and probably the first built into an amp, starting in the late 1940's with Danelectro, Gibson, and Premier. In 1955 Fender introduced the Tremolux (model 5E9). This was Fender's first amp with Tremolo. Meanwhile, in nearby Inglewood, Magna Electronics known for student lap-steel/amp combos was manufacturing real professional amps that incorporated unique designs and revolutionary new features such as Stereo Vibrato.

So in 1956 Fender introduced the Vibrolux. The Vibrolux supposedly had Vibrato (pitch modulation), but in reality this was just another variation on the Tremolo already found in the Tremolux. In fact, NO Fender amp has EVER had true pitch-bending vibrato, regardless of catalog hype to the contrary.