Hi all,

I'm playing in a pretty big talent show this Saturday. I'm playing Satch Boogie, but I can't seem to sound as crunchy as him.

Here is what I am using:

Marshall JCM2000
Hi Gain Vintage 1 channel (knob out)
Gain on 7
Mids:10
Bass:5
Treble:5
Reverb:2

Hot Plate Attenuator

Vintage 30s speakers

PRS Custom 22

Boss DS-1 With Tone at 2 oclick, level at 2 oclock, and distortion at 3 oclock.

It sounds a little too bass like, and it doesn't have that punch you hear in Satch Boogie. Any suggestions or anything you can help me with? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
Gear:

Amp wise:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Marshall MF400a 4x12 cabinet
Pedals:
YJM308 OD pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
Line 6 Constrictor
Guitars:
Yngwie Malmsteen U.S.A strat
PRS Custom 22 10 top
Taylor 614CE L2 (blue)
Loose the boss and turn your amp up as much as you can its what i do with my DSL100 i usaully stick it on around 5 volume for band practise but i dont know how load your gonna be able to get it for a talent show.
I use a Hotplate attenuator.

How low should I put the bass at?
Gear:

Amp wise:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Pedals:
YJM308 OD pedal
Line 6 Constrictor
Guitars:
PRS Custom 22 10 top
Taylor 614CE L2 (blue)
still attenuators sound better at when its actually loud because the speaker gets to move ect.

But your EQ is effected alot by where you're playing like the size temp of the room ect. so its best to EQ your amp while your there and set it too what sounds right when your there.

EDIT: forgot to mention your EQ works with each other if that makes sence so instead of lowering the bass you might want to try making the terrible or presence higher, just something to think about.
Last edited by Zakk_Lp at Feb 2, 2009,

Yeah, it's really tough...

Thanks though.

Any other suggestions?
Gear:

Amp wise:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Pedals:
YJM308 OD pedal
Line 6 Constrictor
Guitars:
PRS Custom 22 10 top
Taylor 614CE L2 (blue)
Take the DS-1 out of the chain. Why do you use it if you got the JCM? If it is for a boost use that YJM308 OD instead.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
A compressor pedal might be what your looking for. They add a lot of bite and take away most of the bass.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
The DS-1 is probably causing a bit off it. It's got a naturally scooped mids tone, which isn't really good for Satch Boogie. It needs to be modded to scoop the mids less.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ditch the DS-1. Satch uses a DS-1, but it is modded, not stock. If you're running an attenuator, crank your amp's volume for power amp saturation.