Hello guys,

I've just missed the opportunity to buy a Mesa F-30 some time ago. I am not a metal guy, I just play blues, rock and hard-rock but I really liked the tone of that amp (I was playing a les paul) at mid and high-gain settings. Oh, it had also a badass punch...

That amp was so flexible (2 independent channels) and it remembered me of old time Slash.. sigh...Now, I am struggling to find a second-hand F30 here in Italy..

Do you know of any other combo (~30/40W, 1x12") with the same kind of tone and versatility?

PS. I've heard mixed opinions about the Mesa Express..

Thanks
The express is close, the mesa DC series came before the F and are very similar. The Nomad series before the DC is supposed to be somewhat close.

Something like a mark III would be pretty good too, but probably harder to find and more expensive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Kevin pretty much nailed it. Mesas are very much their own sound, so finding another non-Mesa amp that sounds similar, is going to be difficult.

However, I have hated every single Express series amp I've played, they lack the versatility and punch of the F series and were a major disappointment imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Kevin pretty much nailed it. Mesas are very much their own sound, so finding another non-Mesa amp that sounds similar, is going to be difficult.

However, I have hated every single Express series amp I've played, they lack the versatility and punch of the F series and were a major disappointment imo.

I concur on the express, not bad by any means, but severely overpriced for what they are. The f series certainly sound better.
Quote by loudog93
B52's have been called the poor man's mesa.

But sound nothing like a Mesa

Quote by Kevin Saale
I concur on the express, not bad by any means, but severely overpriced for what they are. The f series certainly sound better.

For sure, they're not bad for lower gain applications, but Mesa advertising them as high gain monsters similar to a Recto and then not delivering, and replacing the F series with them was a bad move on their part imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw

This goes against your sig, but I hate it when people say they imply the Express series is bad.

For a mesa, it doesn't hold up to metal standards, not at all. But the versatility is still great. The cleans are simply amazing, blues sounds are sweet and voiced perfectly, and the overdrive, while lacking in grit that metal needs, is still very quality sounding. It's just not a metal players amp, at all. For this guy, I think an Express would be great. Because he doesn't play metal, and the express does most things better than the F series save intense overdrive.

They are overpriced, but for my needs(mostly indie and jazz, but plays lead/jams fairly often with friends) it was a 1350 well spent.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Last edited by harrisonmon at Feb 2, 2009,
Everything the express can do the f can do better and at half the price.