Ok, I have been looking at some Steve Morse videos and he does this thing where he plays an artificial/tapped harmonic (he picks it) along with a 'regular' fretted note at the same time.

I have been imitating this by fretting the notes with the left hand, holding the pick in my thumb and middle finger, using the index on R.H. to place over the desired harmonic node (generally 12 frets above), and using my pinky to sort of 'pluck' the normal note at the same time.

I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this?

I want to do it as fast as he [Morse] does it, but I dont know if i am doing it correctly, as i can only get the desired lick at about 60% speed.

Or is it that i just need to practice and hone the new skill more?

e|-----------------2----------|
B|------2---------------------|
G|-----------------2<14>------|
D|------2<14>-----------------|
A|----------------------------|
E|----------------------------|

<14> means put the R.h. (right hand) index over the 14th fret wire [node] and pick with pick.

i hit the notes on the B and high e strings with my pinky [plucking it]
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Last edited by Colton165 at Feb 2, 2009,
If I understand you correctly, your refering to a natural harmonic. play the note as you normally would except only on the actual fret (piece of metal), and quickly let go with the left hand..just practice and you'll get it.
What I would do in that situation is I would hold my pick with my ring finger and then put my thumb over the 14th fret and pick with my index and middle fingers. There are other ways of doing it but personally I prefer my way. I know that's not how Steve Morse does it but then again guitar gods like him can bend the laws of physics and reality to their will. Us lowly mortals just can't compete with that.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Flariduh
If I understand you correctly, your refering to a natural harmonic. play the note as you normally would except only on the actual fret (piece of metal), and quickly let go with the left hand..just practice and you'll get it.

no, i know what a natural harmonic is.

i am fretting the 2nd fret on 2 strings, and tapping the harmonic while picking it at the octave harmonic node (12 frets above), which is 14.

read my post.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
So wait.. let me get this straight... you're attempting to pluck the pick with your not thumb and index while holding your index above the 14th fret? If I understand... I have a solution. I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about is. But I think it's Tapped Harmonics you're referring to.

The way I do that is I just tap the 14th fret with my finger. Simple as that. But the way my guitar teacher taught me is to hold the pick with my middle finger, and then put my index over the 14th fret, and pluck with my thumb. I could get a video of how to do it for you. It's really useful for chords.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
So wait.. let me get this straight... you're attempting to pluck the pick with your not thumb and index while holding your index above the 14th fret? If I understand... I have a solution. I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about is. But I think it's Tapped Harmonics you're referring to.

The way I do that is I just tap the 14th fret with my finger. Simple as that. But the way my guitar teacher taught me is to hold the pick with my middle finger, and then put my index over the 14th fret, and pluck with my thumb. I could get a video of how to do it for you. It's really useful for chords.

i know what a tapped harmonic is, but he picks them in this song, i saw it. He picks with the pick in his middle finger+thumb
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
Quote by Colton165
i know what a tapped harmonic is, but he picks them in this song, i saw it. He picks with the pick in his middle finger+thumb

That sounds incredibly uncomfortable.

I know what harmonics you're referring to, I just learned them a week ago. I guess angle your hand to see how you can get it easier?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
That sounds incredibly uncomfortable.

I know what harmonics you're referring to, I just learned them a week ago. I guess angle your hand to see how you can get it easier?

not really, but its not like he does it for a few seconds, then an arpeggio, then does it some more, then an alt run;

more like he does this technique quickly for about 1 minute, making a melody.

i figured out the notes and tabbed the song, i just cant play it all that well at the same time, so in the guitar pro, i separated into harmonics and 'normal' notes.

tab is here: [guitar pro 5] http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_morse/country_colors_guitar_pro.htm
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
the quick melody is in another song, this is a demonstration in tab sort of.

im still tabbing out the thing im talking about, "Long Lost"
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
You could also try doing it as you would a pinch harmonic and plucking the other string with your ring finger.

That's how I'd try it.

The method you're using now would probably sound cleaner, but it also sounds like a PITA unless you have a magic pinky.

If I was going to use your method I'd just make sure my pinky and the pick were moving in the same direction. For instance - if you put both your pinky and the pick under the string, you can kind of just rotate your hand upward to pick both notes at the same time.

good luck.

edit: when I say "pinch harmonic" I'm talking about holding the pick as usual, using the thumb of your picking hand to sound the harmonic immediately after you pick it - instead of holding the pick between your thumb and middle finger and using your index finger to sound the harmonic.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Feb 3, 2009,
Perhaps ditch the pick, if you can, that makes life a lot easier. Then you can node index, pick thumb and ring.

If you have to hold onto the pick I can't really see a much better way to do things.