Not only in sound, but in feel, rosewood is usually just satin finished so taht you can even feel the wood's grain, but maple is more polished, with more of a glossy finish over it.

In sound maple is brighter, some dudes on youtube did vids with mostly two of the same strats exept from the fretboard, so that you can actually hear and compare, but I believe it's mostly a question of feel, because you can always bend a bit of the given sound with the EQ, not dramatically but eh...
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
I'm thinking about getting a P Maple Fingerboard neck and putting it on my MIM Jazz. I like the high snappy sounds. btw, this is kind of offtopic but still on necks, do P and J necks have different tonal characteristics because of their sizes?
ebony ftw
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Quote by Beleuchtung
ebony ftw

because that's relevant, and helpful as well.

Anyways, the only bass I currently own has a rosewood neck, but I think maple is sexy. Hopefully my next bass will have a maple neck.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Wildcat31
btw, this is kind of offtopic but still on necks, do P and J necks have different tonal characteristics because of their sizes?

Yes, although i'm not sure exactly in what way. it might have a tiny bit more sustain too but probably not enough to notice.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I have a Stingray 4 w/ maple neck, and compared to my Stingray 5 w/rosewood fretboard it has a lot more bite, and its easier to make it growl. The 5 however is much warmer and darker.

Quote by Revelation
Yes, although i'm not sure exactly in what way. it might have a tiny bit more sustain too but probably not enough to notice.

The increased mass of a P-Bass neck should in theory increase sustain and the tonal qualities of the maple (there being more of it), whether you'd notice it or not is unlikely. But hey, do it, and we'll all find out!
I love maple necks esp. on Precision basses. Bright and punchy.

My Ibanez has a rosewood fretboard--the sound and feel are warm but I prefer maple. Plus living in a non-humid climate most of the year, I'm constantly having to oil the fretboard to keep it from drying out.
maple. it is win.

ebony. it takes the win even farther.

rosewood. it is a leading cause of prostate cancer among musicians.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I noticed that some of the new necks that can be purchased do not have the cylindrical piece that can hold the D and G strings down. Is this piece necessary? Or will not having it cause the string to pop out of the slot?
Can people honestly tell the difference in tone between fretboard woods? I have a hard time believing people can discern that when it's a thin layer of wood that doesn't really touch the body.

I don't know. I've never really compared maple and rosewood, etc. It kind of makes me think you hear a difference because your mind expects to hear a difference.