Alrighty. I have a Vox AD30VT right now, which I bought to kinda ease me into valve amps.

I've had it for just over a year and feel that I'd like to advance into valves. Well, full valves.

Now some information. I'd need it to be able to sound good at reasonably low levels, as I'm studying at university and don't want to be the guy from upstairs peeling cats in front of a megaphone. I'd need a bit of a kick for the odd practice with my mates, but that's less important.

I like playing anything from blues and rock to stuff like Satch and Guthrie Govan etc. I have a Vox Satchurator if that is any help in getting the higher-gain tones.

Budget. I just got £1000 from my uni, a scholarship, but I only want to spend about £400 - £500 I suppose. If there's a suggestion just over this that's fine too.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, with hopes to get a higher-range Ibanez in the future if that has any bearing.

I'm completely new to this, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Maybe a Vox AC30 or AC15 would be good for you, its got a nice british blues-rock tone
Quote by Sguit
Maybe a Vox AC30 or AC15 would be good for you, its got a nice british blues-rock tone

Would this be able to do the higher gain tones I mentioned? Not like chugging metal, but smoother, like Govan.
A Laney VC15 would be nice and is only £282. It has a very good tone and your pedal will give it the gain you need. Small enough for reasonable home use but powerful enough for your practice sessions.

An Orange Tiny Terror is a very popular choice. It's similar to the Laney in many ways but probably better quality, hence the £439 price tag.

How about a Peavey JSX Mini Colossal? This is supposed to be an excellent amp, though it's only 5w and is £406.

Peavey also do the popular 'Classic 30' for £375 and that would be easily powerful enough and a great tone. There isn't much gain on it but you have your pedal for that.

Another possibility would be a Marshall DSL401 at £550. It's a one stop Rock shop that is easily powerful enough for small gigs and I can tell you from personal experience that it's OK in the home. There's also usually a few of them on Ebay in excellent condition. I got mine that way and it was 'as new' with upgrades already done and cost less than £300
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
A Laney VC15 would be nice and is only £282. It has a very good tone and your pedal will give it the gain you need. Small enough for reasonable home use but powerful enough for your practice sessions.

An Orange Tiny Terror is a very popular choice. It's similar to the Laney in many ways but probably better quality, hence the £439 price tag.

How about a Peavey JSX Mini Colossal? This is supposed to be an excellent amp, though it's only 5w and is £406.

Peavey also do the popular 'Classic 30' for £375 and that would be easily powerful enough and a great tone. There isn't much gain on it but you have your pedal for that.

Another possibility would be a Marshall DSL401 at £550. It's a one stop Rock shop that is easily powerful enough for small gigs and I can tell you from personal experience that it's OK in the home. There's also usually a few of them on Ebay in excellent condition. I got mine that way and it was 'as new' with upgrades already done and cost less than £300

Thanks man. I like the sound of the Orange and the Mini Colossal.

And the AC-30 has also caught my eye.

With the Mini Colossal only 5W, what sort of volume do you reckon I could get out of it?

Cheers guys.
The Tiny terror is a good option, but it may be worth looking into lower wattage Cornford combos, ok they may cost a bit more than conventional amps...but they will nail any shred/fusion tone, considering Guthrie uses one himself.
Quote by OldHairyOne

With the Mini Colossal only 5W, what sort of volume do you reckon I could get out of it?

Cheers guys.

Enough to play in a blues/folk trio with a bassist and a drummer. The Epi VJ I saw live once did that in spades without being miked. I'd definitely try it out first though.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by OldHairyOne

Cheers guys.

5w should be great as a practice amp as you'll be able to push the valves quite well but I think it will struggle more in a practice situation depending on how loud everyone else is. In that respect 15w offers a better balance and the Tiny Terror from Orange is certainly popular. Their valve equipment is very good indeed but I'd still try that Laney VC15 as it's really very good and saves you quite a bit. They do a VC30 as well with a 12" speaker for £399 and that is also worth a look. I tend to work on the principle of better too much power than too little because you can always turn it down. If it was me I wouldn't go for the JSX as it seems a lot of money to me for something that will have more limited applications due to its power. Realistically, 15w is all you need for most applications you're thinking of but 30w would play it very safe as that is small gig territory. If you decide you only want a low watt amp, try the Orange Tiny Terror and Laney VC15 side by side. If you want a little more power in reserve, test the VC30, Classic 30 and DSL401 side by side. They're all good amps.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Feb 3, 2009,
VOX AC15........not the VOX AC30 for you.

Practice amp in a college dorm? The AC30 is waaaaay too much for you. Put it this way, The Beatles had an AC30 on stage when they played Shea Stadium! They are louder than you can ever imagine...and they are at their best at higher volumes. The AC15 can give you what you want at much lower volumes.

The VOX tones (and price) seem to fit your criteria. The overdrive from a VOX is not metal like, just good old fasioned rock and roll grumble. The price of an AC15 fits your budget. You'll love a proper VOX amp.
I can't recommend Blues Jr.'s enough. They're kickass amps for just about everything. They're 15W. I use it at my house, and I can't play it loud at all, due to the rest of my family getting annoyed at me. But It's loud enough to play with friends and a band if need be. I'd try one out, I love mine.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Thanks guys. I now have quite a comprehensive list to throw at my local guitar dealers.

Would my Satchurator work even better with these amps?

Quote by hmmm_de_hum
The Tiny terror is a good option, but it may be worth looking into lower wattage Cornford combos, ok they may cost a bit more than conventional amps...but they will nail any shred/fusion tone, considering Guthrie uses one himself.

Would this Cornford be a good one? http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/Product.asp?id=9639

Thanks.
Last edited by OldHairyOne at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by Doadman
A Laney VC15 would be nice and is only £282.
A VC15 for £282? Seems a bit steep seeing as I only paid £315 for my VC30. Where you getting that price from?
404: Sig not found.
Quote by OldHairyOne
Thanks guys. I now have quite a comprehensive list to throw at my local guitar dealers.

Would my Satchurator work even better with these amps?

Would this Cornford be a good one? http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/Product.asp?id=9639

Thanks.

Yes - I don't think Cornford know how to make a bad amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yes - I don't think Cornford know how to make a bad amp.

+1

...and yeah the Harlequin i (albeit only briefly) played sounded pretty awesome for fusion/lead orientated music.
You should also check out some ENGL amps (Thunder or Screamer combos), they're pretty versatile amps, and sound really good at low volumes (despite the fact that they're 50 W).

But I guess the Cornford Harlequin would also suit you well. Cornford makes some great sounding amps.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Just so you know, 15w is half as loud as 150w, not half as loud as 30w.

I'd personally get a 30w of some sort. More headroom than the 15w, and not that much louder.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Yeah I'm liking the Harlequin.

And the Laney seems good too.
Quote by ChrisN
A VC15 for £282? Seems a bit steep seeing as I only paid £315 for my VC30. Where you getting that price from?

I took the price from www.gak.co.uk which is where I usually search for a wide variety of gear. I've never found them to be expensive before and I've just checked the price in case I copied it down wrong.

VC15-110 = £282
VC30-112 = £399
VC30-210 = £426
VC30-212 = £473

Obviously, if it's cheaper elsewhere then go for it; it's not like I'm representing a particular store.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1