help, I'm trying to write, andI really like the sound of these scales. I would like to know which scales these bands are using.

bands: born of osiris, for example in open arms to damnation from 0:30 - 0:48
the new reign ; 1:47 - 2:07

and this band http://www.myspace.com/razingvalhalla in general, like in subvert the entroned and dominic sunset.

would be very grateful if someone would help me out
thanks
probably the same one ABR uses

find a note and then find the fifth of that scale
but flat the fifth,play a wholetone scale starting a minor third from that note
if you notice when you listen to bands like that, theres no ending note , meaning no leading tone.

so when you bust a killer solo and end on a long drawn out vibrato of lets say an A if ur playing in E minor, there isnt one of those in the wholetone scale.

i think you call the "sweet notes"
or hot notes
whaatever.

every note kind of blends in and none stands out more than the other, making it riffy
without even listening to those bands i can tell you this. Learning scales won't help you write like your favorite band. Learning their techniques, their phrasing, and their styles will. A scale is just a collection of notes. "Stairway To Heaven" uses the same scale (A minor) as "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" by Van Halen which uses the same scale as "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" by Kylie Minogue. Same scale, very different sounds. Get what i'm saying?
Quote by JakdOnCrack
without even listening to those bands i can tell you this. Learning scales won't help you write like your favorite band. Learning their techniques, their phrasing, and their styles will. A scale is just a collection of notes. "Stairway To Heaven" uses the same scale (A minor) as "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" by Van Halen which uses the same scale as "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" by Kylie Minogue. Same scale, very different sounds. Get what i'm saying?

yeah hes right.

just listen to the artist and you will be able to play like them.