OK so here's the deal. I've played guitar since hmmm, about my freshman year? But only on/off just cause the fact that i didn't have my own guitar. 5 months ago, i got my own guitar, some acoustic that i saw and it was pretty cheap so i grabbed it up.

Since then, i can say i've gotten a good deal better. now the problem part is, i dont know what to do to get any better. i can't play lead worth a ****, but im told i've got really good rhythm. I've seen this time and time again and people just say, "get lessons, problem solved". i can't afford lessons so yeah.

can anyone suggest anything? cause i dont know what to do now lol.
If you got your rythm tight, try playing songs with little turnarounds in them....let me think of an example.....oh, Life By The Drop has a cool little lick in between chord changes...check that out...once you get those turnarounds down in a few songs you will notice your technique developing, best of luck
You don't necessarily need lessons, although they would help. For most people, playing rhythm seems to come fairly easy, well, easy if you consider that it can take a couple three years to get decent. However, lead is harder for some folks to grasp. You need to memorize several scale patterns and then be able to apply them across the neck. This is a tough one to learn. If you don't want to take lessons, for whatever reason, consider spending $20, or so, to buy a couple of books on playing lead. Read them and practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. You will get it, it's just going to take some time.
Hmmm, the thing is, im a HUGE metal head. and being that i only have an acoustic, it kinda bums me out to play **** from bands like bodom and trivium and it just sounds plain and boring on acoustics. so i only play an entirely different style from what im used to and like.

and i dont exactly understand what you mean by turnarounds? an explanation would be appreciated.
He's talking about fill notes between the chords. Lots of songs use them. I'm not metalhead, otherwise I'd give you some songs to check out.

For example, if you were to play an open G chord, then play a C note, a B note on the 5th string, then play an Am, this is a very simple example.

C = 3rd fret
B = 2nd fret
Quote by KG6_Steven
He's talking about fill notes between the chords. Lots of songs use them. I'm not metalhead, otherwise I'd give you some songs to check out.

For example, if you were to play an open G chord, then play a C note, a B note on the 5th string, then play an Am, this is a very simple example.

C = 3rd fret
B = 2nd fret

good call, should have mention to try different "walkdowns" like that...anyhow even if you are a metal head, or just a hard rocker...we all started out playin "smoke on the water", What I would suggest is to learn some Santana licks, not metal by any means, but it will teach you the A minor pentatonic scale, which is verrrrry useful. You need to crawl before you can walk, the only difference between a lot of the music is the tempo and "edginess" and tone in which it's played...the notes and theory are the same. If Santana is too "wimpy" for you, try AC/DC. What are the bands you are trying to play? Maybe you can look up who Thier influences are and go from there
well the bands i like isn't the style i like to play or can play. i play ALOT of alternative/punk stuff from the 90's. i like alotta greenday oasis bush and such.
I suggest playing what you like. It takes longer to get bored. Record some rhythm tracks then play over them. I mean it really comes down to practice...every knows that...it's the way we practice, and what we focus on that can make a difference. For me, I dont really play lead or solo much, but I enjoy rhythm guitar and can get away without playin many licks because I play with other people. How bad do you really wanna learn soloing? My brother, a great soloist and can play lead really well, he focused on learning Clapton and AC/DC solos and stuff...for years now, and can play them note for note...but cant play a whole song all the way through really...is that what you want to focus on? Or do you want to be able to just pick up a guitar and jam solos ala a blues maestro? If you want it all, It really does take many years to develop every nuance...There are very few people who are great at all aspects. I myself enjoy being able to pick up a guitar and play a whole song, and maybe add a few recognizable licks in there, kind of an all around player. Greenday, Oasis, Bush...not many solos in there, Its a great start. I think the most important thing I can recommend to you is this: Play with a metronome and play with others as much as possible, no matter what type of music it is. I dont think you will ever learn faster than just trying to jam with other people.
nah not at all, i dont wanna be the best at it all, and i really like to play rhythm alot. i mean, i want to be able to at least play some lead, not even massive solo's, just some cool riffs. everytime i pick up a guitar and i can only play rhythm, it kinda gets boring. i just wanna be able to do some lead, i'll sleep better at night knowing i can do something lol.
Took me a couple years of playing everyday to jump from rhythym to lead...I imagine if I just focused on lead it would have come faster...try searching you tube " guitar turnarounds" it has some cool stuff there I know you will get, and you can sleep well afterwards. These are the first steps to playing solid licks, and being able to learn technique and improvise.