I'm thinking about trying out for my high school jazz band on guitar next year. What all should I know (theory, progressions, etc.) before I do?
i'd tell you to learn everything u can find about theory in general (jazz or not) so even if u dont play jazz, you still got some things to do and also, it make u look intellingent saying things like ''Ooh lets jam on a E# harmonic scale but lets be funky and sometimes go on the F harmonic scale''

yea thats what i'd probably tell you if i knew anytning about something
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
If you can read off the chord charts and play all of the basic chords, plus know your substitutions, you should be good. Some jazz bands have the guitarists play the melody and solo, but the majority (at least the ones that I know) only need the guitarist to comp the rest of the band.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I know that the band at my school isn't very complicated, for the most part i know that you need to know sheet music very well. It might be different for your school, so i would ask the band director what you have to do to audition.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Quote by LP51122
If you can read off the chord charts and play all of the basic chords, plus know your substitutions, you should be good. Some jazz bands have the guitarists play the melody and solo, but the majority (at least the ones that I know) only need the guitarist to comp the rest of the band.

fantastic
If you see a chord for example, C7 on a chord chart, you should be able to know what notes are in that chord by sight. Being able to sight read is helpful but you can probably get away with not being proficient at it because you almost will never have a melody like played exclusively by guitar, but rather with the saxes or other rhythm instruments ect. Also know how to comp in different styles (swing, latin, rock). Check out Freddie Greene of the Count Basie Big Band for the quintessential rhythm guitar playing and basically try and imitate his approach because it's the standard.
12 fret fury
Listen to what everybody else is playing almost as much as you're listening to what you're playing. Also, if you're having a hard time with the rhythm, listen to the trombones, they're pretty similar.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I'm trying out for my jazz band next year as well, it'll obviously be different for both of us, but here is my to do list:

1. Learn to sight read pretty fluently.
2. Gain a strong understanding of major, minor, major 7th, minor 7th, dom7th chords with roots on the low E, A and D strings. Obviously, once this is done, move on to more and more chords.
3. Ability to play the major scale and various arpeggios anywhere on the neck. If the chords are going from 6 to 1 and you're in C, I want to be able to do stuff in A around the 5th fret, and as the chords change, switch to doing stuff in C at the 5th fret. That's pretty basic soloing stuff, but in order to do it fluently anywhere on the neck means practice.
4. Understand basic jazz progressions, it'll make everything easier.
5. Learn more music theory, it's always important and it will always help.

That's kind of descending in order of importance, there's obviously other preparations that will have to be made, but there's my top 5.
Last edited by Sharck at Feb 5, 2009,
realistically, for most high school jazz bands you only need to know 2 things, how to play cheesey arrangements of early rock n roll songs and the freddie green technique.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Geezus
i'd tell you to learn everything u can find about theory in general (jazz or not) so even if u dont play jazz, you still got some things to do and also, it make u look intellingent saying things like ''Ooh lets jam on a E# harmonic scale but lets be funky and sometimes go on the F harmonic scale''

yea thats what i'd probably tell you if i knew anytning about something

Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy. Learning music theory so just you can sound "intellingent" is like learning guitar so you can look cool.

I've been in my school's jazz band for three years now. The most important things to know about are chords. The most common jazz chords are dominant sevenths, minor sevenths, major sevenths, and diminished sevenths. You also need to know about extentions--such as 9th, 11th, and 13th--as well as alterations. Also, it wouldn't hurt to familiarize yourself with a basic jazz blues form. If you're just starting out with jazz, I wouldn't focus on scales and soloing. If you DO get a solo, it will probably be on a blues tune or a funkier tune, so the minor pentatonic scale/blues scale should suffice.