Sorry if this is in the Wrong section but i need help.
Ibanez TBX150H Tone Blaster Xtreme Guitar Amp Head i have heard is a beast for distortion in that price range. But really im looking just to record with it so can you record without a cab and have it sound good?
get a line 6 POD. basically gonna be the same thing only smaller and more convenient. also probably better quality recording anyway.
(signature removed, please choose another)
the pod is one of the things line 6 actually has done that is good
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
If you do that, don't go for an Ibanez Tone Blaster. Also, you need to use a cab with an amp head or you'll blow the amp. The POD isn't that bad, as many professional musicians use them in the studio. It's the solid state Spider series that sucks monkey nuts.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by chrisisabeast14
thats what i have and it has scared me for life....how about this though...http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483560

Great amp from what I've heard, but you'll need a cab with it for recording so that you don't blow it up. I wouldn't let the Spiders scare you, as they're what's created the massive anti-Line6 movement here on UG. Their Flextone series of amps is pretty sweet too, MUCH better than the Spiders. Be open minded and try them out.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 2, 2009,
now with buying a cab is their a specific cab i need for size of ohms of whatever. Sorry ive never owned a cab and head just combo amps so this is a little new
Quote by chrisisabeast14
that is nice but idk if that will give the heavy sound im looking for

From the general UG consensus, it is a decent metal amp. How much distortion do you need? There aren't many metal amps in what I perceive to be your price range.
I know thats the problem....the line 6 pod i still think will sound like a spider idk it really does scare me that im gonna get the same icky tone
i have the Toneport and Gearbox software and i use it for recording, it is the same models available on the Pod. Only the POD will have MORE tones. All of the recordings in my profile minus the Carvin V3 test were recorded using the toneport + gearbox
You want to record from the head right?

Well you can't do it without a cab, but here is another solution.

If your amp head has a line out or a headphone jack you can use a usb instrument cable running out of that.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/SoundTech-USB-Intelligent-Instrument-Cable?sku=332600

That is probably the cheapest way out. You run it out of the headphone jack into a computer. That cable won't give you the best quality

There is another solution with that cable to use silent recording. It goes line out - instrument cable - good mixer - stero 1/8 to 1/4 - USB converter - computer.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Feb 2, 2009,
it does have that and what i already was thinking was for the head into my usb interphase for the into the computer via USB wouldnt that work?
Quote by Chaosinborn
i have the Toneport and Gearbox software and i use it for recording, it is the same models available on the Pod. Only the POD will have MORE tones. All of the recordings in my profile minus the Carvin V3 test were recorded using the toneport + gearbox

+1000

The Megadeath cover is a little meh tonewise, but the Rock Ballad and Trooper cover are sweet as hell!

Stupid name.

Quote by chrisisabeast14
it does have that and what i already was thinking was for the head into my usb interphase for the into the computer via USB wouldnt that work?

Yes, but to reiterate the point again, you must have a speaker load on you amp, or else it will catch on fire.
NEVER turn on a head that doesnt have a speaker load on it. what you COULD do is get something that would work as a dummy load like an attenuator, which often has a line out jack on it. run the line out into your soundcard and get some sort of cabinet emulation so it sounds good.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
HAHAHA thats important i guess than. So the POD ux2 w/those metal amp attachments which i think there is would sound better than that setup?
Uhm, translate that to English, please? With proper grammar and punctuation?

Stupid name.

Quote by chrisisabeast14

yes, that would work.

For better quality you should use a mixer, but going directly from amp head to computer would work.

For even BETTER quality, mic the amp with a Sennheiser e609 or Shure SM57, and then use the mixer.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Feb 2, 2009,
Oh God. ANd for PwnGibson The pheriphery sound is the sound im DYING for. For you Shin what i ment was The POD UX2 will sound better in your opinion then the head with a cab
Quote by chrisisabeast14
Oh God. ANd for PwnGibson The pheriphery sound is the sound im DYING for. For you Shin what i ment was The POD UX2 will sound better in your opinion then the head with a cab

well, before misha got his axefx, he used a podxt, and he used the big bottom model, which comes in the metal shop expansion pack, so if you want his sound, go for it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It probably won't sound better than a GOOD head and cab, but it'll be a helluva lot cheaper, and based on your previous thoughts on new gear, I imagine cheap is what you're going for.

Great high gain sounds come from great high gain tube amps (Like the Randall MTS, Mesa Mark series, ENGLs, VHTs, etc.), or EXCELLENT modelers, like the Line 6 POD, Flextone, and Vetta series, AxeFX, and a few other companies I can't think of atm.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
well, before misha got his axefx, he used a podxt, and he used the big bottom model, which comes in the metal shop expansion pack, so if you want his sound, go for it.

Point made

Stupid name.

Quote by chrisisabeast14
I do like cheap. Wow i cant believe im getting turned away to line 6 again. LoL

line 6 is a great company besides the spider series, just like marshall has put out some great stuff outside of the MG's...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
At least this time you'll be getting one of their products worth owning

Stupid name.

Quote by chrisisabeast14
Thanks one last question can anyone direct me to the Metal Plugin for the POD on Musicians friend

its not on musiciansfriend, you have to download it off line6's website
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Can't you just put the words that fit your criteria into the search bar on the site yourself?

EDIT: ^ Yea, that didn't occur to me until I posted it xD My bad.

Stupid name.