It's from Joe Satriani's Satch boogie... I can see he's using a pedal note, but I want to know what scale/mode he's using over the bass note F#...

And this chromatic line... wich I think is chromatic, looks like a be bop scale but if that's the case, it's the E be-bop scale and uh the bass note is F# so I really can't figure out what's going on there

Help please =/
It looks like the E be-bop with a minor 6th witch is a C. I'm not sure why the F# is throwing you of though?
Quote by nodurquack
It looks like the E be-bop with a minor 6th witch is a C. I'm not sure why the F# is throwing you of though?

Well yeah it's the E be-bop but, shouldn't he use E as the bass note? unless he's using a mode of this scale but I couldn't find anywhere the description of the modes of the be-bop scale.
He would be using the 2nd mode. I don't think it has a specific name. Although from the second part of the riff where the bass note is an F# it would also be the F# whole-half scale up until the G# at the end. So he might be changing scales right there.
Last edited by nodurquack at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by nodurquack
He would be using the 2nd mode. I don't think it has a specific name. Although from the second part of the riff where the bass note is an F# it would also be the F# whole-half scale up until the G# at the end. So he might be changing scales right there.

Well in my guitar pro tab, everything matches in the E be bop scale.

But it's pretty weird, I mean, why would he use that scale just like that? I know that satch is a real freak but I would have tried at least a normal mode, not something turning to be a be bop scale lol.
haha yeah guitar pro is great for the scale stuff. i wish i could help more but i don't think i can. but i think he's just changing scales and modes instead of sticking to one which makes it look kinda weird and abnormal
Quote by nodurquack
haha yeah guitar pro is great for the scale stuff. i wish i could help more but i don't think i can. but i think he's just changing scales and modes instead of sticking to one which makes it look kinda weird and abnormal

Well yeah I'm sure he's using the pitch axis stuff since the bass note is F# and the lick's first note is also an F#. I'm still checking the intro riff though, there are 2 random notes wich one I think comes from the minor harmonic scale and the other... I still haven't found out, it's a random C# but it sounds really funky.

Anyway thanks for helping :P
or he could just be using them as passing notes for tension
Quote by Zanon
or he could just be using them as passing notes for tension

Well yeah for the intro riff I think that's it because it's chromatic. It goes like this

You can see at the 2 last bars that he does 3p0 - 4 then 5 so yeah, pretty chromatic.

But the thing is that everytimes I saw a chromatic note, it always came from somewhere , most of time from the minor harmonic scale or the blues scale.

But in this case, it's none of those two scales so yeah it must be chromatic.