Ultra-short.
59 39%
Long.
2 1%
Other... (specify)
6 4%
Voters: 151.
Page 1 of 2
Since I started playing, I've kept mine very very short to avoid any "twang" from my plucking hand. But lately I've been wondering if I should try let my nails grow a little. I played like that once and it sounded like I was playing with a plec. Doing 16ths with one finger sounded a lot better too (yes, like that Dethklok guy).

So, short or long?
Short.

Sometimes I cut it too low though, oh the pain.

Anyway short nails = less pain.

You won't have to worry about bending your fingernails or scratching chalkboards.

Short nails are also more comfortable for my guitar playing. My fingers get directly on the fret.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
ever since i started playing guitar i have developed OCD over keeping my hands clean and keeping my nails short.
i cant stand it anymore lol
so now they're as short as they can be without pain:P
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
^+1, I cut my nails as short as possible, not for bass but for comfort.
Well I play with a pick so it wouldn't really affect my right hand, but I keep mine short. I had a music teacher who would ridicule people for having short nails, and ever since short nails + playing have gone together. Also, short nails just look better.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Medium. I like my right hand's index and middle fingers to have slightly longer than short nails, for the Geddy Lee style (Back and forth with 1 finger)

I keep my left hand as short as possible without pain
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
this

But long nails on your picking hand would be pretty cool. What's that called, flamenco?
well i used to keep them long enough...until recently while playing basketball with some friends and having my nail chip off after scraping another's hand going up for a rebound and almost breaking his skin...well it didnt hurt me but i think ill keep them short right now.
short nails at least on my fret hand. i play guitar more than bass but i find that solos around the really high frets can get screwed up if your nails are to long.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
ive had a habit of biting mine since like third grade so my fingernails are extrememly short
I've bitten the hell out of mine since like year 4 so i guess mine are short..
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I know when my right hand index and middle finger nails are getting too long, when they hit the strings which really annoys me so I cut them.

So, yeah, I do keep them short.
signature
playing bass is the only reason i ever have had a manicure as a 16 year old male...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
I keep them as short as possible to prevent the random, out of place clicky tone of the nail hitting the string, I might let them grow long enough to get a consistent click sometime though, I kindof like the tone actually, sounds like your using a thin pick.
I used to keep mine long for classical, but now that I cut them, I keep them as short as possible to keep them from hitting the strings....
Ultra short. I can't stand the feeling of playing bass with either hand (fretting and plucking) with even short nails.
I bite mine constantly. It has nothing to do with playing, just a habit I've had for a long time.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I keep them ultra short. Not only does it reduce twang, but it prevents scratching into the wood if my fretting fingers slip, or when my right thumb touches the body over the pickup.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by PluckU
playing bass is the only reason i ever have had a manicure as a 16 year old male...

...Truth. My mom made me get one? I didnt want to. But after going on a mini-bass rampage and playing for 30+ hours in 2 days...my hands were thrashed. My right pointer finger was bleeding because of the intensely fast basslines we were writing. I played god damn "Fly Away" so many times that I think I rubbed off my caluses on my left pointer finger.

Ahh...the joys of playing bass.
Is this what you want?
Nice and short for thick fingerstyle tone. Nothing more to it. If I want to get the nail sound, a la Geddy Lee, well, there's still plenty of nail there.
If nail and string are touching then it's a no-no in my book. Unless you grow those short but noticeable but also very comfortable nails that i can only get twice a year ._.
id say short, i dont cut them real short, but i do cut them very often
Because of my genetically altered caritin levels, my nails grow back to medium-long length in about 5 days after trimming them short, so it's a huge hassle. I usually cut them every 2 weeks because it's just a pain doing it so frequently. So when they're medium length, I do use the small protrusion of nail off my fingertip to tweak the strings, and it does give a very unique feel. It's like the smooth playing of finger style with the bright plucking of a pick. I would honestly prefer it this way if it didn't COMPLETELY screw up my ability to play 6-string guitar.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Mine are short, for no other reason that I bite them.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I've personally been biting my nails for years, so they're pretty short anyway. Yes, it is a bit weird that I do it, but it's a slightly better habit than say, smoking.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I'm kind of curious why everyone who plays bass seems to be a nail biter. There has to be some correlation here. No wonder you all let yourselves get cut out of the mix.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
^hey, I do not get cut out of the mix. I cut it in two.
Quote by TooFast
I bite mine constantly. It has nothing to do with playing, just a habit I've had for a long time.

this.

if I do want pick tone, a flicking movement is greatly beneficial.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Feb 3, 2009,
with bass they seem to get in the way and produce that horrible noise
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Don't pay attention, cut my nails every so often because long nails are gross.
I always kept my nails short when I was younger. I eventually replaced the nail clipper with my teeth :l.
Hi.
Page 1 of 2