In these guides I'm going to share tips and tricks that I have learned over the last however many years having to workaround every situation imaginable. They are by no means professional solutions, which is why they are so useful to have in the old brain box. For those occasions when you aren't at abbey roads, don't have all the room in the world or more that one or two microphones available.

Drums - Heres a highly regarded and widely used drum micing tecnique which can often yield far better results than 95% of people expect.
It's called "Recorderman" micing and all you need is two mics!
It's called the recorderman technique as it's popularity and creation is widely credited to a member of an unnamed (in case I get in trouble for mentioning it) recording forum and is used all over the place by beginners to professionals.

In a nutshell, you use two drumsticks end to end as a ruler to place your mics the same distance away from the snare as each other then use a cable or piece of string to place the mics equidistant from the kick drum.

Here's a video (not by me) explaining it further.

This technique is essentially an adaption of a method by Glyn John's mic setup.

You can expand this with a snare and kick mic if you feel it's necessary or have the option to.

It usually works best if the kit sounds good from where the cave man (drummer) is sitting.

This is also particularly handy to know for on location recording, when not in the studio. And even if you are in the studio, heck! You can use 20 mics and take 3 days to set them up, and if you're lucky it might sound as good as this technique...or use this one.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'm not a drummer but I'm going to be buying a drum kit soon so the drummer in my band doesn't hafta drag his drums all the way to my house. I'm gonna record drum tracks to my songs.

Thanks for this guide. I will surely use it, except with 4 mics probably.