It will be at my high school and I have lots of time to prepare. We are a power trio, with me filling in on vocals.

Our setlist as of now is: *updated*

Iron Man - Sabbath
Come as you are - Nirvana
foxy Lady - Hendrix

How does that list look?

Also:

-I am going to be playing guitar and singing, but I am not exactly a confident singer. I tried to choose some easy songs but I'm not sure I'll be up to snuff. Any first time singing gig-tips?

-Any good ways to interact with a crowd of young people(at school)?

-Any tips for equipment layout? (where do I put mics in relation to the amps/ speakers?)

-Any general tips?

Thanks guys, I'm hoping you can help me make this gig as painless as possible.
Last edited by gunther_sucks at Feb 4, 2009,
i dunno ive only done a few gigs myself but i think u should just have fun and enjoy yourself, thats the only way the audience can enjoy it too, u cant really fake it u no.
first gig? F@#$ing rock my friend.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
The list looks good, some classics mixed with some good rockers. Should appeal to almost everyone.
When singing live for the first time, make a connection with the audience. When theyre comfortable, your comfortable and that vibe will show in your performance. Just try to sing consistently is the main thing.
To interact, banter a lil between songs, but know when to stop. Ask people to sing along if they know the words, stuff like that.
The equipment should be handled by someone else, but if not, put a mic in front of your cab, on the bottom 2 speakers.

Of course have fun, and make sure your bandmates are all on the same page so you play your best individually and as a unit
From my standpoint, the set-list looks good. However, for a young high school crowd, you may want to consider keeping the Nirvana song, scratching the other 3 songs, and adding 3 new, more "youthful" modern ones. Just a thought.

1. For your first time singing, just keep cool up there on stage. Remember to use your diaphragm and other singing mechanics and you should do fine.

2. Generally, when bands play at our school and they try to interact with the crowd, they generally get made fun of. They get made fun of because they treat they crowd as if they came to see THEM, instead of just going to school and there happening to be a band playing. Basically, if you're planning to interact with the crowd (which you definitely should) keep it simple. Make fun of yourselves, bandmates, and occasionally the crowd. Blink 182 is a great band when it comes to entertaining their audience in a funny way, and since most of their audience was young people, you may want to watch some of their live videos on youtube to get ideas.

3. I'm not too sure about how all the equipment works...I would research that on Google. I'm not sure, but if you get lucky, the school might have a sound guy there ready and willing to help you.

4. Have fun, keep cool, and remember, you are their entertainment, so entertain your audience
Quote by Another bassist
From my standpoint, the set-list looks good. However, for a young high school crowd, you may want to consider keeping the Nirvana song, scratching the other 3 songs, and adding 3 new, more "youthful" modern ones. Just a thought.

but you HAVE to have Foxey Lady on the setlist...

anyways, if your using any form of effects box or pedals, make sure they work fully and tested before you go out, in my first gig i had major technical difficulties as one pedal stopped working completely, and the other just went crazy, managed to sort it out while playing though

also, make sure neither your bassist or drummer stop halfway through a song, i had that happen in my first song of my first gig, not a nice thing to happen when you are switching to a solo and they just stop, so make sure song structures are alright

and as the other guys say, just go out there, play hard, have fun, and rock, i did, and i wouldnt change anything about my first gig, even with all the problems (audio was rubbish aswell as we were in the corner of a bar)
Drink 2 cups of tea before your show, it'll loosen your vocal chords.
IdirtI

I sold my Parker Nitefly, Line 6 POD X3 Live and Crate Powerblock on Ebay. I'm depressed about it, so if I'm grumpy, that's why. = (
Don't worry about the vocals. None of the songs have great vocals on them originally. (Disclaimer: I love Rob Halford, but that song doesn't showcase much.)

Just have fun and remember that you are up there performing, because the rest of them can't. If anybody gives you crap, remind them that they couldn't have done any better.
Quote by JacobTheMe
If anybody gives you crap, remind them that they couldn't have done any better.

probably not the best advice to give to someone on their first gig, especially when you have no idea of what skill may or may not be in the crowd, example, Jimi Hendrix in the crowd for a Cream show, then the proceeded to go up on stage and [inadvertently] destroyed Eric Clapton
Quote by SteamMaster
probably not the best advice to give to someone on their first gig, especially when you have no idea of what skill may or may not be in the crowd, example, Jimi Hendrix in the crowd for a Cream show, then the proceeded to go up on stage and [inadvertently] destroyed Eric Clapton

Wait did this happen? I need an article.
Quote by JHogg11
Wait did this happen? I need an article.

I second this
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
this reminds me of my first show. Some how i got talked into playin guitar and singing a version of the neil young song you guys are playing, at a school version of "woodshock"...(i play bass, i had never sang or played guitar before)

we practiced it once.

Did pretty good, i butchered the solo and forgot the words to the 3rd verse but i played it all off so noone noticed.
Quote by road2insanity
this reminds me of my first show. Some how i got talked into playin guitar and singing a version of the neil young song you guys are playing, at a school version of "woodshock"...(i play bass, i had never sang or played guitar before)

we practiced it once.

Did pretty good, i butchered the solo and forgot the words to the 3rd verse but i played it all off so noone noticed.

but Neil Young butchers the solo so its all good
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
K i know im a freshman but this isn't my first gig. If ur in high school, u pretty much have two choices- go with pop like fal out boy which i seriously hate and hope you never play, or go the grunge and metal route, and dude, it goes over great with everybody. not many people in high school are gonna listen to a Neil Young song. like someone else said, keep nirvana try to throw in a little metallica or megadeth they seriously go over great. if youre not a confident singer go with a metallica instrumental if u have the skill and time. theyre reallly not that hard to llearn if you have time.
Call Of Ktulu at a highschool gig, now -that- would be a first gig to remember
First : Thank you for all of the comments and advice!

Second: Should I change up the tracks? The only song that we 110% want there is Foxy Lady, and I threw in Nirvana as a crowd pleaser. Do you think I should throw a Metallica song in? I am a big fan and I play a lot of it, I just figured it would turn quite a few people away.

Shredman: I like what you are saying about the grunge and metal, but what songs would I do? What's nice about rock is that you didn't need to be a good singer to be good, but when I listen to pearl jam and AIC, you really need someone with some kind of vocal talent to do them justice.

If we rocked up the Neil young song do you think it would go over well?

Thanks again guys!
I wouldn't do the Neil Young or Judas Priest.

As for tips? Practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. Give yourself some rest a few days before the show, don't wanna play all raw. Bring plenty of backup picks and a bottle of water. Have some 9-volts on hand if that's what your pedals run on. Don't forget an extra cord or two as well. Most importantly, have fun.
i would play master of puppets

but thats just me
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
well im behind you full force with Foxey Lady, and you know, personally if i were to go for a crowd pleaser i would choose something upbeat that doesnt have a set standard for male vocals, choose something by L7, simple easy guitar riffs, gets people moving, you dont need to follow a standard with vocals either, which can be a problem with doing covers unless you have your own set style of singing where no matter what you do, if its your own or someone elses, you dont change that, but yeah, go for Pretend We're Dead or something, get the crowd moving
Quote by JHogg11
I got the impression from the first post that Hendrix was in the audience, watching like a normal patron and just walked onstage and owned Clapton.

yeah, sorry about that, re-reading what i wrote kind of leaves it open to that, but, my point was that it could happen, cause Clapton was the best, everyone knew it, but Hendrix just happened, so, its not a good idea in someones first gig to say 'im better than everyone, STFU'
Just remember to look directly at the audience and don't shy away from the front of the stage.
Keep the show moving and be engergetic, if you're really enjoying the gig, chances are the audience will as well.
Guitar: Fender Standard Tele

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20
For tips on equipment go and look at my article 'A guide to PA part one in the columns. It looks like you are band leader musician and singer so try to get someone else to sort out the sound. Be prepared for the sound onstage to be very different from what you normally hear in the audience and make sure you can hear yourself sing. The columns have lots of advice on performance too. You've had the best tip already; practice, practice, practice.

Enjoy it on the day. Good luck.
My first "gig" was at school as well. It was football homecoming and i brought my bass in for our float ( school tradition that each class have a float during homecoming parade, our class float was "rock the dolphins" and the theme was disney. So naturally someone put a hannah montana cd in.) Since our float had no power source we were just going to pretend to play. Anyway my bandmate brought in his guitar and some kid who used to be in our band brought his drums. So people started to gather and we decided to play something. we got some extension cables and hooked up. We didn't really have any plans so we just decicded to have a lengthy pentatonic jam. If anyone had heard the jam here on UG they would have consitered it pretty mediocre. But the cround really loved it. Since i got to a relitivly small school most of the people around were friends and cheered really loudly. It was the most fun i think i've ever had. So no matter what just remember to have fun, if your band has rehersed then it will go much smoother than our "gig."
Quote by gunther_sucks
It will be at my high school and I have lots of time to prepare. We are a power trio, with me filling in on vocals.

Our setlist as of now is: *updated*

Iron Man - Sabbath
Come as you are - Nirvana
foxy Lady - Hendrix

How does that list look?

personally i would drop Ironman for Sweet Leaf, its alot less overplayed and a vastly better song, the rest looks ok, maybe put another song in though, 3 is a bit short, try opening with something like Black Knight by Deep Purple, its got a lively beat for to get people into it, then go onto Nirvana, then whichever Black Sabbath song you choose, and then finish with Foxey Lady
dont be too over the top and start shouting "COME ON SING IT WITH ME", youll get ripped to shreds and when no one sings back youll look a bit of a tosser

dont try to be too clever and start doing a stand up routine, but dont stand around having 'inside' jokes with your bandmates either

keep comments into the mic short and sweet and keep it casual and relaxed

keep eye contact with the front and back rows and it looks like your engaging everyone

dont stand in one place and look like you would rather be anywhere else, use the stage and get into the music

most importantly, get either slightly drunk (or laid!) before. but not to the extent that you cant string a few notes together. it helps nerves and helps you to relax and enjoy it