My friend wants to get into bass playing, he's selling his dirtbike and will end up with about $11-1200 he's building a rig from the ground up
he likes sly & the family stone, george clinton, p-funk, and the red hot chili peppers
what do you think?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Big enough to jam, but will be used for practice alot
and the used bass market here consists of squiers and ibanez's
Quote by guitardude34875
Amp:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR515N

that leaves about 5-600 for a bass.... others will have good suggestions on that. Carvin is known for "transparent" amps. Meaning they don't just sound like a carvin when you plug into them. They sound like the bass you're playing. Such as your pickup, tonewoods, etc. They also have tons of eq versatility and it has a tube in the front for a slightly warmer sound or you can bypass it for a more modern tone. The 15" speaker with a tweeter will hold it's own better than a 2x10 in my experience also.

Edit: It's only 40lbs too. so moving it around should be a piece of cake.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by ShredGod George
Big enough to jam, but will be used for practice alot
and the used bass market here consists of squiers and ibanez's

The NC craigslist currently has listings for 3 different Musicman Stingrays. As well as 6 Warwicks and numerous other basses. There are a variety available.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Personally I'd buy a godly amp and lower-range bass or vice versa to avoid having to upgrade them both later.
Quote by Zycho
Personally I'd buy a godly amp and lower-range bass or vice versa to avoid having to upgrade them both later.

Amp first. Bad basses sound better through good amps than good basses through bad amps.

The new Fleabass perhaps?

The bands you mentioned would lean more towards a Fender J-Bass though. Larry Graham played Yamaha J-Basses after his Fender and Bobby Vegas uses J-Basses, Bootsy played a Fender before going custom, Flea used a '65 J-Bass for Stadium Arcadium.
Beast_Within: I meant music stores around here
Mutant corn: I assume J pickups the ones on a jazz bass,
what about MM's, Musicman humbuckers?
what are P-basses good for? I'm just curious, Im normally in GG & A,
don't know much about basses
The underling: I figured that, thats how it goes for guitars too, what kind of amps would those bands have used?
Quote by guitardude34875
Last edited by ShredGod George at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by ShredGod George
Beast_Within: I meant music stores around here
Mutant corn: I assume J pickups the ones on a jazz bass,
what about MM's, Musicman humbuckers?
what are P-basses good for? I'm just curious, Im normally in GG & A,
don't know much about basses
The underling: I figured that, thats how it goes for guitars too, what kind of amps would those bands have used?

flea uses Gallien krueger
Are Ampegs good?
or are low end ones like MG's to nice tube marshalls,
and are tubes as important in bass amps as they are in guitar amps?

Edit: what about effects, he'd need a wah/envelope filter for those
bands wouldn't he?
Quote by guitardude34875
Last edited by ShredGod George at Feb 3, 2009,
BA is very much MGish. don't get those. the Carvin that was set forth will be a great amp, I support it. Acoustic also makes a good amp, and so do Warwick and Ashdown.

another sweet idea is an Ibanez ATK, it gets a pretty even stingray-humbucker sound without killing your budget, or a nice Fender Jazz will also be a great suggestion.

finally, I would advise against getting an envelope filter so early on, I say he buys the best gear possible and then if he wants an effect later he saves up to get that. this way, his sound isn't too reliant on an effect, and he will be able to sound funky without it. he might even learn he prefers a different sound for funk, I can think of no bassists with more different sounds than Bootsy Collins and Rocco Prestia, and they both rock the funkiness. if he can emulate both funk styles, I would consider him a much better bassist.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
+1 on the ATK, that'd be great. Make sure to get the two-pickup model, though.

And yeah, J/MM is Jazz/Musicman, like this:
Nope, no sig here.
Woah those Carvin's look amazing i'm considering not getting an SVT for that... Is it a good decision?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Woah those Carvin's look amazing i'm considering not getting an SVT for that... Is it a good decision?

I would say so.

either one of the ones with the single coil and triple coil would be great.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

An svt and a carvin are like completly different ends of the spectrum, more colour then a rainbow and as transparent as glass. If you et my drift.

You could get a sdecent halfstack for 600 used or new.

Then im sure mwith malot of looking you could get an amazing bass second hand.

But wait a second, hgow do you know he's even going to enjoy it. He may hate and have wasted all this money. GHe may get bored, he may just never get5 the nak for it. Some people just get m,entle blocks over these things etc.
Get a really cheap starter pack and let him play for a couple of months and see how he finds it. He could be the next Stu hamm, or maybe Not.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
An svt and a carvin are like completly different ends of the spectrum, more colour then a rainbow and as transparent as glass. If you et my drift.

You could get a sdecent halfstack for 600 used or new.

Then im sure mwith malot of looking you could get an amazing bass second hand.

But wait a second, hgow do you know he's even going to enjoy it. He may hate and have wasted all this money. GHe may get bored, he may just never get5 the nak for it. Some people just get m,entle blocks over these things etc.
Get a really cheap starter pack and let him play for a couple of months and see how he finds it. He could be the next Stu hamm, or maybe Not.

I told him that, he doesn't care, he seems to know he'll love it & stick with it, i told him starter pack, but he kept insisting, and I'm not his dad & it's his money,
He's played some before and liked it though
any major brands he should look at other than Music man and Fender?
Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by ShredGod George
I told him that, he doesn't care, he seems to know he'll love it & stick with it, i told him starter pack, but he kept insisting, and I'm not his dad & it's his money,
He's played some before and liked it though
any major brands he should look at other than Music man and Fender?

I love Warwicks, but you should get him to play some.
G&L Tribute is always fun. it's almost like a modeling bass, it gets humbucker tone and single coil tone and can sound kinda split coil, really cool tool to have.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the_underling
Amp first. Bad basses sound better through good amps than good basses through bad amps.

Some people would prefer the nice bass first.
with $1100 he has enough for a very good amp and a good bass so he won't have to worry about the crappy basses some of us had to deal with.

I recommend looking into musicman, fender, ibanez, warwick, schecter, traben, and yamaha for basses. all will play and sound different. I'm personally an ibanez and schecter fan but i also like traben and while i didn't like the musicman stingray the bongo model was awesome.

Tubes are not as important in bass as in guitar. you can get a pretty good clean sound out a nice SS guitar amp but not always a good distortion/overdrive. same way with bass amps. I do play a tube bass amp though. It's totally different than playing a SS amp. Much warmer sound and the overdrive channel is quite nice...wish it had it's own eq section though. if you can find a used peavey vb-2 head with a nice cabinet it's a great amp.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu