Here's the question. Its for an online homework assignment: A 700 kg car travels at 90 km/h around a curve with a radius of 150 m. What should the banking angle of the curve be so that the only force between the pavement and tires of the car is the normal reaction force?

I already tried breaking the components of Normal Force into Fn*Sinx = m*V^2/r and Fn*Cosx=m*g. When you combine the equations you get Tanx = V^2/(r*g) or x = InverseTan( V^2 / (R*g) where V is 90 R is 150 and g is 9.81.

The answer I got was about 79.71 degrees, which is a hell of a bank it seems, plus my homework program said it was wrong... Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I'm taking physics, but we havn't quite gotten there yet... sorry I'm not any help, some aspects of that sound familiar, but unfortunately not enough of it.
Good luck.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
That's a pretty wide turn for such a low speed. No idea how to solve, but maybe you got the equations all right but you got the inverse. In other words, maybe a bank of 11.29 degrees?
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

think of it as a centripetal motion problem and a banking curve problem. as the curve goes up, the more friction it puts against the curve. so say you figure out the normal force and the acceleration down the slope. the acceleration down should be equal or greater than the centripetal ("centrifugal inertia") force,
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It's obviously 111 miles per day on an average of six.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
We just finished that section, the question's a bitch. Do you guys use the Giancoli book?
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.
I got the angle to be 23 degrees. The only problem I see is that you used 90 km/h instead of 25 m/s.
I got 25.16 degrees.

Centripetal force is equal to mgsin(theta)

mv^2/r = mgsin(theta)

solve for theta.

In this case the centripetal force is supplied completely by gravity and thus no friction is needed. So between the tire and the road there is only a normal force.

I think...
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Last edited by AznElliot518 at Feb 2, 2009,
It crashes so it's irrelevant.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
Quote by AznElliot518
I got 25.16 degrees.

Centripetal force is equal to mgsin(theta)

mv^2/r = mgsin(theta)

solve for theta.

In this case the centripetal force is supplied completely by gravity and thus no friction is needed. So between the tire and the road there is only a normal force.

I think...

If I remember this chapter correctly, the force supplying the radial acceleration would be Fnsin(theta), since the centripetal force acts horizontally, not down the incline.
Hmm you may be right. I sorta BSed that chapter :S
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by deadbolt39
I got the angle to be 23 degrees. The only problem I see is that you used 90 km/h instead of 25 m/s.

That was it. Good work
Quote by Watterboy
That was it. Good work

Physics is the only reason I care to go to school anymore xD